Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The never ending CAI/Tuner post from a confused NEWBIE or J.A.F.O

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 AM
GT579

Default The never ending CAI/Tuner post from a confused NEWBIE or J.A.F.O

Ok this is my first post on this very informative forum site. I have been doing alot of research on CAI and Tuners and I thought I knew what I wanted but, after watching the activity on here for sometime and reading as many articles as I can, I am more confused than ever before. I owna 2005 GT 5spd purchased 12/21/2006 w/6800 miles on it.

MYbackground, I have never owned a mustang before, so I have never tuned one (obviously). I come from a back ground of heavy VW Tuning and customization. I have also dabbled with BMW's. I fell in love with the Mustang because itis similiar of my cousins BMW M-coupe roadster (the ugly hard top version that you make funny faces at when you see it, it grows on you, especially after taking the wheel) The handling of the car impressed me and the power was equal if not better. I like it more than the BMW because the car has that American spirt and nostalgia that you can't find any place else. Plus it's not ugly!

So introductions aside, I have questions.
1. I like the look of the granatelli intake, can I use that intake/maf with a tuner?
2. Which tuner is going to allow the most manipulation and customization with upgrading mods?
3. Which package is the best package available, I am not looking at vendor, I am looking at product and cost, that doesn't mean it has to be cheap.
4. I have heard that granatelli and bbk throttle bodies have a historyof not being reliable and have caused more problems than they are worth. Throwing codes, cars not running properly, Is this true?
5. Has anyonehad any experience with the JBA cat4ward headers and bassani x-pipe exhaust w/h.f. cats and mufflers?If so is there excessive droaning?
6.I want to install a short shift kit like the steeda Tri-Ax, has anyone had an experience with that and can I keep my stock *** and boot?
7. I live in upstate NY (Albany area) and I want to join a mustang club, can someone point me in the right direction. Alsois there a tuner with a Dyno near-by
8.When I was tuning VW's the company that you could rely on for product quality and delivery was Neuspeed, what company is considered to be the standard or base for Mustang Tuning?

For those of you who respond, Thank you, for those of you who laughed, your welcome! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Again
Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: The never ending CAI/Tuner post from a confused NEWBIE or J.A.F.O

1. Yes
2. Xcal2 and Predator are both about equal. Xcal might not have O2 sensor control.
3. No wrong answer. Everyones opinion will be different. (C&L Street or JLT with tuners mentioned above are most popular and will get the job done just fine!)
4. True. TB=trouble most of the time
5. Drone is common with any axleback swap pretty much.
6. I have not seen a triax install, but I am pretty sure you use the stock boot and ****. Most use the Hurst comp shifter.
7. Live in IN...your on your own for this one.
8. Brenspeed and B amachips are great for custom tuning. Most of our vendors on the site are fantastic also for different parts. PMPParts is not a vendor on this site but I have used them many times. Service is top of the line, parts are great and Josh and Kevin know their stuff.

Welcome to the forums! I am sure you will get plenty of other answers.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 AM
failurze_art
2nd Gear Member

I think the top three intakes are JLT, C&L, and the Steeda with either tuner.

If you want to keep your stock cats and stay legal, you can get a Ford racing X-pipe. Basically it just replaces the stock h-pipe section.(make sure they weld it in not clamp it)

With "tuned" length headers (like the JBA'syou mentioned)you will see minimal gains.......but there will be some gain...plus the x-pipe and some Ford racing stingers and it will sound good without being too offensive.

I think the Hurst shifter from Ford racing is the way to go.

I haven't had a problem with my BBK throttle body yet, but it is hard to say if it actually did anything for me performance wise cause I put it on with a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time. My throttle response is A-freaking-mazing though.

There are literally tons of companies competing for buisness on the web so you won't have to rely on just one parts supplier. Shop around and find the best deal. I used to drive a 95 VW passat "sleeper" so I know how hard it is to find parts.... especially fast.......basically Neuspeed was about it for metoo. Butnow you got a Mustang so you will be in heaven as far as parts go.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

1. Yes
2. Xcal2 and Predator are both about equal. Xcal might not have O2 sensor control.
3. No wrong answer. Everyones opinion will be different. (C&L Street or JLT with tuners mentioned above are most popular and will get the job done just fine!)
4. True. TB=trouble most of the time
5. Drone is common with any axleback swap pretty much.
6. I have not seen a triax install, but I am pretty sure you use the stock boot and ****. Most use the Hurst comp shifter.
7. Live in IN...your on your own for this one.
8. Brenspeed and B amachips are great for custom tuning. Most of our vendors on the site are fantastic also for different parts. PMPParts is not a vendor on this site but I have used them many times. Service is top of the line, parts are great and Josh and Kevin know their stuff.

Welcome to the forums! I am sure you will get plenty of other answers.
that about sums it up
Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got it figured out. Happy spending.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, with the Steeda Tri-Ax you can keep the stock **** and boot. I really like mine by the way. Nice and smooth, effortless shift from 2nd to 3rd without having to "find" 3rd. Much better than the stock shifter.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:19 PM
GT579

Wow!
Thank you everyone for your input, this helps alot. If anyone has anything else to add please do. Still looking for a local car club[&:]
Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

I took along time to pull the trigger on my cai/tuner, and I went with Brenspeed, great service, great advice, and they know there stuff. I highly recomend them.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I have had both a Hurst and a Steeda Tri-ax on an 06 GT. The Hurst feels like shifting through a box of gravel, the Steeda is smooth and positive. Yes, you can keep the **** and boot.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I am in Dutchese County NY....Welcome...we are kinda close...

LMMC is a CT club that i was in for a while..but it was to far even for me...Looks like we should start our own..i have been looking in the Hudson Valley as well with no luck...

ORIGINAL: GT579

Wow!
Thank you everyone for your input, this helps alot. If anyone has anything else to add please do. Still looking for a local car club[&:]

Quick Reply: The never ending CAI/Tuner post from a confused NEWBIE or J.A.F.O