Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default weird rattling noise

ok, so here's my problem:

when i first start my car up, and the engine is cold, if i floor the car with load on the engine (i.e. i'm in gear), i hear a rattling noise coming from what sounds like under the driver seat. sounds like a metal/exhaust rattle. HOWEVER, it ONLY happens when the engine is cold. once i get up to normal operating temps, i can't reproduce the rattle at all! and i notice as the engine warms up it gets less and less pronounced, until it stop completely when the engine is at normal operating temp.it only happens between 2k rpm and 4k rpm. do you think once the exhaust pipes heat up they expand, and thus are tighter and stop rattling? or do you think it's just the exhaust being extra raspy since the engine is cold? i looked under the car, and didn't see anything unusual.

ideas???
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: weird rattling noise

is it kinda like the engine is bogged down? Mine does this as well, if you are talking about the same noise that i am experiencing... Mine does it while warm also, just not as loud... i just blame it on my crappy clutch skills... I think it is from to little gas pedal... I don't want to fry the clutch but revving too high...But perhaps it is somethign else, since you experience it as well...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:41 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Feng Houzi

is it kinda like the engine is bogged down? Mine does this as well, if you are talking about the same noise that i am experiencing... Mine does it while warm also, just not as loud... i just blame it on my crappy clutch skills... I think it is from to little gas pedal... I don't want to fry the clutch but revving too high...But perhaps it is somethign else, since you experience it as well...
oh no, my engine does not bog at all! it is strong as ever, and i am thrown back into my seat. however, i do hear a rattling noise when the engine is cold, not when it is warm though. i doubt we have the same issue...

plus i am very good with the clutch, i've been driving manual for years...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

Sounds to me like a bad flux capacitor. Should be a TSB on it.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

I don't mean that the engine is bogged down... but it sounds like it is... Ive been driving manual for years as well, but this one is hard... and this is why... that dang rattling noise tells me that i am doing it wrong... Maybe i am, maybe my car is broken! I think we have the same noise... Thinking about it a little more... It is when it is cold...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Does it sound like its coming from around the cat area?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Feng Houzi

I don't mean that the engine is bogged down... but it sounds like it is... Ive been driving manual for years as well, but this one is hard... and this is why... that dang rattling noise tells me that i am doing it wrong... Maybe i am, maybe my car is broken! I think we have the same noise... Thinking about it a little more... It is when it is cold...
You don't have the same noise. What he's talking about happens after he's allready moving. What you're talking about happens when you first start moving. My clutch rattles as well.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

There is a TSB 06-4-1fora rattle from the exhaust hanger isolators on the trans cross member.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

could you explain this one more or give the TSB report or where to find it. After putting my new headers and XPipe i have been experiencing this rattle that is bugging the hell out of me. First I thought it was the rear hangers for the AB's but there is a good 1/2 inch now and I'm still getting this noise now and then. The exhaust did get pushed back about 1/2 inch or so but I don't see anything even close to hitting anything to make this noise. I wonder if this might be my culprit for the noise....
Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...%20console.pdf

I have a rattle to as described i think. Only at 3k normally. Doesnt seem to happen after I have been driving for 20 minutes and the car is warmed up. I might take a look myself and see if this is the problem

Quick Reply: weird rattling noise