Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Pkg?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM
frntload

Default California Pkg?

Hello All,

I am trying to purchase my third Mustang. Last time was in 1989.

Since the advent of the 'Net it is a lot easier to research and purchase....unless you are looking at something unusual.

I started looking about 2 months ago. Dealers here (Columbus) seem to order lots of auto trans 'Stangs.

I want manual with interior upgrade, side airbags, 3.55 axle, comfort group. It should be simple. However, there are lots of cars with very few options or way to many.

I am looking at one with way to many....I think..

The car I'm looking at is Redfire with the black/parchment interior. It has side airbags, 3.55 axle, Sirius, comfort group and the interior upgrade, along with the California Pkg. upgrade.

Is the California Pkg popular? Worth it?

It took me going to the dealer to see the car. It looks and handles great and has 35 miles on it.

After seeing the invoice, I saw the dealer ordered it in mid June 2006. Probably took delivery in September or October. So, it has been on their lot for 5 months or so. Which tells me no one wants that upgrade, or it is too expensive.

The MSRP is $30800, internet discount of $1105.

Any advice? Is it worth $1895 for the California package?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
MikeFromMass

Default RE: California Pkg?

Hey, that's up to you to decide....It's an appearance package and makes it a little more unique out there on the road. You get the 18" polished wheels, the side scoops, unique lower front/rear panels and a stripe. And the seats....to me they are very nice and makes the entire package. Is it worth $1895? You decide. Will you get that back at sell time? Doubt it. Will you get $1895 of enjoyment out of it during your ownership? Maybe.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion, the California Special package is basically just what was said above, an appearance package to set you off from the crowd. If you want something you can buy and be different without putting any more money into it, go for it. Personally, I would save the money and personalize it yourself, a lot can be done for $1800 that will make it look/run better and be different from everyone else.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 AM
frntload

I appreciate the feedback. The dealer is trying to push it as limited edition. I don't believe that and since it has been sitting on the lot since the fall, I think I'll pass. I have looked all over the 'Net and cannot find anyone discussing it; there is one blog that gives the specs, that's it.

I don't think the appearance is worth it.

My second choice is an Alloy color with all the specs except airbags; it also has anti-theft and wheel locks. It has 18" wheels also.

Offered price on that $27104, MSRP is $29630. It has 300 miles on it because it was a dealer trade. I can live with that.

I do like the California Special, however, as noted, I just don't think anyone other than me would care.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:32 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

If you are dealing @ RICART,......... run, don't walk away from them. The CS is Ok, but not worth the $.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:20 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Your in Columbus Ohio I presume. Its a big city with many Ford dealers so shop around. What I would do if I wanted that car and since you think it has been languishing on the lot for a long time, I would offer the dealer a set figure and let it go at that. If he bites fine, if not there are many dealers. Go online and search inventories yourself. Like you said its a lot easier to research and purchase than ever. I don't think your desired combo is that rare anyway. It only takes a few minutes to find whats available within your travel limits. Dealers will trade too, so they will get you a car from some distance away. Don't tie yourself down to one dealer either.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 PM
RollTide87
1st Gear Member

While I agree that the CS package is appearance only, I liked it a lot. I found one on the lot (Black on Black). It was no where near as loaded as the car you are looking at but the dealership did not treat it as a limited edition. I was able to work out a good deal on it and bought it. IMHO, the interior looks much dressier with the two-tone inserts, it has the 18" bullets and roll-tip exhaust. The front and rear facia and striping are unique. I have only seen one other CS on the road. Before I was ready to buy, I saw a red-fire similar to the one your describing and it looked very sharp. If you like the car, push the dealer for a better deal. I was able to get mine about $400 over invoice before the $1K rebate.

Here's a pic of mine.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59930/B04C6ED0BF484E1B80E350605BB08F3F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

Well I love my CS here's some pictures. The limited edition is probably going along with only 8,000 are to be produce in 07 but more in 08. Some people love it and others hate it. It's up to you. Check some of the other forums, they have special areas for CS disussion.

[IMG]local://upfiles/40386/03A2431EE2504F1AA6EA8CF60328DA80.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2007, 01:59 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

I was able to get mine for the same price as a GT Premium (Yes, i could have had money knocked off that price and it would have been cheaper)...just had them drop the $1900 package charge, basically. But, I'm in Nashville, lots of dealers with lots of Mustangs, so it was a viable threat to go elsewhere (the CS was the only black mustang on the lot).

But the blk/dove interior alone was worth the extra $ to me. Personal preference should guide you
Old 03-30-2007, 02:18 PM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Love my CS and wouldn't have bought a regular GT. Not a new one anyway.
Both the Hertz and Shelby GT are based on the CS package.

If you look at adding a side scoops or a fake hood scoop (painted) from EBAY is even pretty pricey.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Pkg?