Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 vs V8 - any differences? Also.. Stang Vert vs Solara Vert

Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
mistergin

Default V6 vs V8 - any differences? Also.. Stang Vert vs Solara Vert

Hello!

I'm in the market for a convertible and I'm really debating here. I tried the last gen stang and the interior quality and overall build quality with the vert I had was terrible, ended up taking it back and getting my honda back. It looked amazing (the deep blue color) and I loved having a vert, but the old platform really showed.

Now that the stangs are on the new platform, I really want to try again. I hear overall refinement is up which is awesome to hear.

I'm looking at a vert and trying to decide between the V6 and V8. The V8 is pricier, coming closer to the 30k mark and I'm having trouble justifying that price. The V6 seems to have ample power/torque for day to day driving (not racing or dragging the car - mostly city/commute driving), and I figure with a nice dual exhaust setup I could for all intents, mimic the look of the GT.

Is there any differnet cosmetic differences b/w the two? I've know the badging is slightly different, but I wasn't sure if more interior options were available on the V8 and not on the 6?

The other option is a Toyota Solara. They've got a gorgeous interior with HIDs and Nav (two things I'd really want - though the stang DIN would allow for an aftermarket Nav system no problem), but it's only got 210 hp, based on the last camry platform, and to be honest, with an automatic, it almost feels like I should hand my mancard/***** over when I purchase it. I do love the mini-lexus look of it, but the boy in me wants to be driving stick in a RWD vehicle having a bit too much fun around 90 degree corners =P

I have to admit, though I'm typically a black/blue guy.. the yellow vert looks really hot

Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 PM
mistergin

Default RE: V6 vs V8 - any differences? Also.. Stang Vert vs Solara Vert

Hmm, looking at some of the pictures, I definitely think the side scoops and hood scoop make a WORLD of difference. The side scoops actually make it look a lot like the last gen stang (one of my favorites from an exterior standpoint). LOL, the more I poke around this forum, the more I start drooling. I'm still going to try the solara but I may very well be fixed on a stang now..
Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

The difference between the GT and V6 is:
Power
Fog lights in grill
Dual exhaust
Diff spoiler
Diff wheels
A few other options I cant think of off hand
Oh and did i mention Power

I dont know much about the toyota but it really is no comparison between the two. The mustang is much better looking in my opinion and alot more fun to drive weather you go GT or V6. Im partial to the GT cause thats what I have but goodluck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

If you're not racing or dragging, I say the V6 is more than enough, IMO ... that was the main reason I went with the V6 instead of the V8 - I really didn't need all that extra power.

ORIGINAL: mistergin
I'm looking at a vert and trying to decide between the V6 and V8. The V8 is pricier, coming closer to the 30k mark and I'm having trouble justifying that price. The V6 seems to have ample power/torque for day to day driving (not racing or dragging the car - mostly city/commute driving), and I figure with a nice dual exhaust setup I could for all intents, mimic the look of the GT.

Is there any differnet cosmetic differences b/w the two? I've know the badging is slightly different, but I wasn't sure if more interior options were available on the V8 and not on the 6?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

First of all - forget the Solara (Please)

The side and hood scoops do notdo not come stock on all the new Mustangs - some models (the California Special) do have them but you pay a premium price. Much better to go aftermarket because there are many more options.

I stongly recommend you go to a site called www.ponybuilder.com
It will let you add parts and see how they will look on the V6 and GT verts in any color you choose

The main differences between the stock GT and V6 are:

Second set of front lights on GT (The Pony package for the V6 will give you these and a different spoiler)
The side emblem on the V6 is a pony badge and on the GT it says GT
The back mock gas cap on the V6 has the pony badge and the GT says GT

That's basically it. You can get a rear bumper with dual exhaust cutouts and a dual exhaust for the V6 if you want.

It's all good.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:18 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

The V6 pony package has the fog lights & bullitt wheels, like the GT.

ORIGINAL: tritonpwrd
Fog lights in grill ...
Diff wheels ...
Old 03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The GT has a different front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts.Not sure about the interior.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:25 PM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster

Fog lights in grill ...
Diff wheels ...
yea I know but I think he said that he was trying to make a V6 look like the GT with a couple of mods. Im not sure but I think the foglights on the pony package are smaller correct? Also I think they have that chrome ring around them. They dont look like the GT if that is what he is trying to do.
Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking the V6 cause its still a mustang but if he is trying to make a V6 look like a GT I think it would be more cost effective to just buy the GT instead of spending extra money to make it look like one.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
mistergin

Hmm, from what I'm hearing, it may be wise to save several thousand going with the V6 and just mod it up. I found some hood and side scoops on ebay and I'm sure they're on ponybuilder also.

Previously the power was an issue because the last stang only had 190hp if I am correct, whereas the new one definitely has some *****.

I had a big problem justifying spending 30k on a new v8, but looking on autotrader, I'm finding a lot of v6 verts floating around the 21-23k mark. That would make getting into a mustang MUCH more comfortable for someone that's always driven japanese/korean.

Moose, what color is that on your car? It's gorgeous! Yellow looks neat.. but I think I may end up sticking to that color blue..
Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM
mistergin

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster

Fog lights in grill ...
Diff wheels ...
yea I know but I think he said that he was trying to make a V6 look like the GT with a couple of mods. Im not sure but I think the foglights on the pony package are smaller correct? Also I think they have that chrome ring around them. They dont look like the GT if that is what he is trying to do.
Dont get me wrong I'm not knocking the V6 cause its still a mustang but if he is trying to make a V6 look like a GT I think it would be more cost effective to just buy the GT instead of spending extra money to make it look like one.
Actually the wheels would probably get replaced with aftermarket wheels and I was never a fan of the big fogs so I may even do a grill replacement.

I may fall in love with the 8, but the 6 would definitely be smarter financially..

I'm taking my 5 year old daughter shopping with me so maybe I'll let her pick which one is cooler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 vs V8 - any differences? Also.. Stang Vert vs Solara Vert