Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B-chips C&L and Tune - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:53 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default B-chips C&L and Tune - quick question

Hey guys, I finally got my package this week and installed it today. So far I tried out the 93 Performance, and it's amazing! [&:](just like everyone says) Now for the question:

When I accellerate normally at a light on a road with a speed limit of 50, it seems like it shifts out of 4th way too quick - it feels like it barely finished shifting into 4th when it goes into OD. It'll take a while going through 1, 2 and 3, but 4th lasts half as long as the others. I'm just wondering if that's normal. I did mention to Doug that I would be interested in the race tune, so I just want to make sure that this isn't it. (it's labelled as Performance on the XCal) The shifts are pretty hard too, and it feels like the car jumps each time it shifts to the next gear except for 5th. (I don't think it's a loss of traction)That's another reason why I was thinking it might've been the race tune. Are the shifts that hard for you guys? Plus, if you take your foot off the gas, does it roll a little for you if you don't hold the brake? Just wondering if these arenormal...thanks!

It really is awesome though...the Loudmouthsalso sounda lotbetter.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: B-chips C&L and Tune - quick question

i dont have a mustang yet... will take delivery soon... but your car looks good
Old 04-01-2007, 09:58 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chidrock

Hey guys, I finally got my package this week and installed it today. So far I tried out the 93 Performance, and it's amazing! [&:](just like everyone says) Now for the question:

When I accellerate normally at a light on a road with a speed limit of 50, it seems like it shifts out of 4th way too quick - it feels like it barely finished shifting into 4th when it goes into OD. It'll take a while going through 1, 2 and 3, but 4th lasts half as long as the others. I'm just wondering if that's normal. I did mention to Doug that I would be interested in the race tune, so I just want to make sure that this isn't it. (it's labelled as Performance on the XCal) The shifts are pretty hard too, and it feels like the car jumps each time it shifts to the next gear except for 5th. (I don't think it's a loss of traction)That's another reason why I was thinking it might've been the race tune. Are the shifts that hard for you guys? Plus, if you take your foot off the gas, does it roll a little for you if you don't hold the brake? Just wondering if these arenormal...thanks!

It really is awesome though...the Loudmouthsalso sounda lotbetter.
No, the shift into 4th is not normal. Give Doug a call or better still send him an email telling him exactly what the tranny is doing. He will make a correction and then email it to you.

I've been working with Doug for a few months on atomatic transmission shift scheduling. If you feel brave ask him to send you the transmission tune that I'm using right now. (The Febuary 6th automatic transmission tune). Its pretty aggressive..........you may not like it.

My automatic shift scheduling emulates the same shifting asI would shift a stick shift.

It is unbievable how many sensors the PCM is looking atwhen controlling the transmission and the torque converter.

If you want to know moreabout yourcar, get the Ford Mustang Service Manual on DVD from Lightning Force Performance - best $25 I ever spent.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Thanks John, I'll definitely have to give him a call tomorrow. Maybe I'll try him today, but I don't know if I want to bother him on a weekend...

Thanks Burnsy! Good luck with yours...you'll have to post pics of what you do with it.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

What's the mildest tune you received called/named? Does it jump into the next gear? I want somthing to simply firm up the take offand that's all and I would like to stay with 87 octane.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Why stay at 87 ocatane?? If you just want something mild then his performance tune is probably the best choice. The torq would be a little snappier than the performance tune and the race is way more than you would be looking for.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Even if I switched the tune to 87, it probably won't help. The problem seems to be the shift points. I took it back out for a little while today and saw what I think the roblem is. The car goes through 1st until about 3,000 RPMs, then is drops to 2,500 when it gets in 2nd. Again it'll go to about 3,200 and drop into 3rd. Once it's in 3rd, it'll go up to about 3,200 again and drop into 4th. This time it drops to about 1,900 or so. The reason it goes through 4th so quick is because it drops into overdrive as it gets a little over 2,100 RPMs. On the other gears, it has to increase about 600 before it gets to the next shift, now it's only like 200. Plus, should it be dropping that far - from 3200 to 1900? I guess that the big drops are probably why it feels like the car jumps sometimes. I'll have to get in touch with Doug first thing tomorrow...for now I'll just drive with the OD off until it gets fixed. Is it easy to switch the tunes in and out over the computer?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:34 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yep it is pretty easy. I am not saying going with a different octance will help you out with the problem. I am just asking why not use a higher octane tune. You will get better performance from the CAI and tune that way.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chidrock

Even if I switched the tune to 87, it probably won't help. The problem seems to be the shift points. I took it back out for a little while today and saw what I think the roblem is. The car goes through 1st until about 3,000 RPMs, then is drops to 2,500 when it gets in 2nd. Again it'll go to about 3,200 and drop into 3rd. Once it's in 3rd, it'll go up to about 3,200 again and drop into 4th. This time it drops to about 1,900 or so. The reason it goes through 4th so quick is because it drops into overdrive as it gets a little over 2,100 RPMs. On the other gears, it has to increase about 600 before it gets to the next shift, now it's only like 200. Plus, should it be dropping that far - from 3200 to 1900? I guess that the big drops are probably why it feels like the car jumps sometimes. I'll have to get in touch with Doug first thing tomorrow...for now I'll just drive with the OD off until it gets fixed. Is it easy to switch the tunes in and out over the computer?
Yeah, thats definitely not right.
Doug has told me that Ford will not allow controlling of the 1st gear shift point.
Right now my shift points at 2nd through 5th are at 3000rpm. 1st gear shifts atabout 2000rpm. (cant remember)
The coverter is programmed to locks at (you will have to ask Doug on this) and doesnt unlock unless the PCM commands it to based on other sensor inputs.

Did you clear the KAM (keep alive memory) before you installed the tune (pulling the positive lead off the battery.....waiting a while.....then hooking it back up) then dump the program in?

I know that during the SCT programming the SCT says that its clearing/erasing the existing memory. But I dont know if it touches the KAM or not.

I'm sure Doug will jump in here sometime and get us straightened out. When he is home he watches the Forums like a hawk.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

yep it is pretty easy. I am not saying going with a different octance will help you out with the problem. I am just asking why not use a higher octane tune. You will get better performance from the CAI and tune that way.
Sorry, I was replying to Rupp...I was trying the 93 octane tune.

The reason that I'm saying switching tunes won't make a difference is because I tried the Torque tune, and it seemed to shift at the same points and had the same problem.

I'm guessing that he'll up where it drops into 4th a little and make it a higher shift point to go into 5th. That should solve the porblem. It still seems like it takes a while to get through the gears, and it's not quite ready to go into OD or something.

Quick Reply: B-chips C&L and Tune - quick question