MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Grinding Noise on Startup (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/268234-grinding-noise-on-startup.html)

ErcWrestlr 04-02-2007 05:57 PM

Grinding Noise on Startup

Well yesterday, when I started my car, I ran back inside to grab something out of my house. When I was coming back out, my car made a loud noise that sounded like a circular saw cutting wood. It lasted for 2 - 3 seconds. The car drove fine and felt okay. Then, same thing today when I started it up, another grinding noise like yesterday. Both times it happened, it was a cold start. Any ideas on what this could be? I went to the Ford dealer and they said they would need to car to look into it. But I wanna check with you guys first.

edit--> It sounded like it was coming from the middle to the front of the car. Didn't seem like the engine though.

-Eric

raubt 04-02-2007 06:11 PM

RE: Grinding Noise on Startup

What's the air temperature like where you're at?

Edit: Does the noise sound like: http://members.shaw.ca/raubt/mustang_cold_rev.mp3

ErcWrestlr 04-02-2007 06:25 PM

No, its more like a metal grinding sound. Very high pitched and short lasting (2 - 3 seconds max). It sounds almost like abad heatshield rattle, but it doesn't do it other than a cold start.The airtemp has been in the mid 60's the last few days.

spuddogg 04-02-2007 06:29 PM

'... circular saw cutting wood'
On reading that the first thing that came to mind was a starter motor engaging while the engine's running.

billyjo 04-02-2007 06:43 PM

its the timing chain, its like a rattle. very loud. I tried to get this fixed but ford stated that it does not hurt the motor so it is fine. I think it sounds like **** and should be fixed but its one of your chains on the duel overhead cams

Derf00 04-02-2007 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

'... circular saw cutting wood'
On reading that the first thing that came to mind was a starter motor engaging while the engine's running.
+1 Starter motor bendix sticking. If it happens again, have them (the dealer) check it out. Could be the starter sticking or ignition switch shorting.

ErcWrestlr 04-02-2007 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Derf00

+1 Starter motor bendix sticking. If it happens again, have them (the dealer) check it out. Could be the starter sticking or ignition switch shorting.
How would I have the dealer check that and make sure they actually do check it? Is there a way I could check it myself?

Derf00 04-02-2007 07:06 PM

You can inspect the flywheel ring gear (or flexplate) on your own, Get the front end up on jackstands, slide under, and where either the Clutch Cable (manual tranny) or kick down cable (Auto) is there is an inspection plate. Remove it and take a look. The teeth on the ring gear should be clean (probably dusty). Chips, broken teeth, missing teeth, ground spots, are all signs of the starter motor bendix sticking or the starter being engaged when the engine is running.

Dealership will try to get the problem to occur. IF they can't they'll do one of two things, say they can't duplicate the concern and give it back to you, or they will do an inspection then give it back to you. If youtake it in and they say that's not the problem, ask them how they know. They should tell you they inspected it by removing the plate.I had a starter that was going out and it would only stick once every 7 or eight times for the first few months. It got progressivly worse.

ErcWrestlr 04-02-2007 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Derf00

You can inspect the flywheel ring gear (or flexplate) on your own, Get the front end up on jackstands, slide under, and where either the Clutch Cable (manual tranny) or kick down cable (Auto) is there is an inspection plate. Remove it and take a look. The teeth on the ring gear should be clean (probably dusty). Chips, broken teeth, missing teeth, ground spots, are all signs of the starter motor bendix sticking or the starter being engaged when the engine is running.

Dealership will try to get the problem to occur. IF they can't they'll do one of two things, say they can't duplicate the concern and give it back to you, or they will do an inspection then give it back to you. If youtake it in and they say that's not the problem, ask them how they know. They should tell you they inspected it by removing the plate.I had a starter that was going out and it would only stick once every 7 or eight times for the first few months. It got progressivly worse.
Thank you. . . .this sounds like it might be my problem. I'll see what I can figure out from it.

NyFordTech 04-02-2007 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: billyjo

its the timing chain, its like a rattle. very loud. I tried to get this fixed but ford stated that it does not hurt the motor so it is fine. I think it sounds like **** and should be fixed but its one of your chains on the duel overhead cams
I have yet to see a timing chain rattle or loosen up on the new stangs, i highly doubt this is your problem. possible starter concern i would just put it up on jackstands n check the flywheel n starter teeth,i read ur post wrongbefore thought u said 2,3 min