Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??

Screw the warranty..... the money you pay for that versus the amount of time and services you will use = not worth it IMO.
Thats money that could go towards a nice HO Whipple. And install it yourself. ITS EASY!!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

I believe the Ford Racing S/C is also covered, if installed by yadda yadda yadda..............
Old 04-03-2007, 11:53 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

WAIT A MINUTE. If you're in Indiana, why not hop over to Brenspeed? That's what I would do if I lived anywhere near there.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You need to limit that S/C to 5 lbs boost from Saleen as well unless you are authorizing Saleen to make your car the extreme and push even more HP with a warranty. I say screw the warranty and go with a H.O. whipple from this guy and he is ASE certified and worked for ford many years. He is about 6 hours from you though in Michigan. http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.html JMO hope it helps
ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: Reco

Ratnacage is correct...options are limited if you want to keep your waranty.

Unfortunately, Ford doesn't make it very easy on those of us that want to make sure those SRT-4's, Cobalt SS/SC's, Evo's,350z's etc..stay in our rear view mirror (not just out of a dig) and keep our warranty. The ChevyCobalt offers a factory SC, why cant Ford? Okay - a SC may be asking a little too much. How about arelatively simple"performance" option?3.73 gears, better in-take,and adifferent tune? They could still make aniceprofit on that option you'd think? - And - I would bet a lot of GT buyers would take it if it meant the warranty was intact. Eh, I guess thats the GT-350, which they'd rather limit and get a nice mark up on.

I'm not crazy about the potenially "new Camaro" personally, but it will prolly be a good thing for Mustang buyers in that Ford would have a DIRECT competitor. No more bending us over for an extra 30-40 hp!

Having said that rant :P , Ford did make a pretty damn good car in the bang for buck category....just not sure how long it will last with the GT's - A new Camaro coming, 22k Dodge, Pontiac andChevy's right on our tails??? Surprise us Ford....PLEASE!
If you buy a Saleen SC installed by Saleen, you get to keep the warranty from Ford, this was per Ford and Saleen when I asked both of them, but no promises. As for direct competitor Ford proved they could beat Chevy without having a faster car by selling more Mustang's than all versions of the F-Body combined.

Why Ford waited until after the death of the F-Body...well, I know the answer but too long to get into... but this time Ford knows that they can make a faster Mustang and from the looks of it they will sell one that competes against the 400hp Camaro what we don't know is if it will be in a standard GT or an upper Z28 competitor like a Boss 302.

My thoughts are the GT has always been the direct competition for the Z28, lets keep it that way.. I hope Ford agrees.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

The whipple performs awesome on our cars but the 4.6 (3V) is limited to HP though a few cars have blown rods at 400 whp, others can take upwards of 500hp with stock internals and bottom end. Honestly if I were to go with F/I I wouldget a built motorto be safe...

ORIGINAL: Reco

Ratnacage is correct...options are limited if you want to keep your waranty.

Unfortunately, Ford doesn't make it very easy on those of us that want to make sure those SRT-4's, Cobalt SS/SC's, Evo's,350z's etc..stay in our rear view mirror (not just out of a dig) and keep our warranty. The ChevyCobalt offers a factory SC, why cant Ford? Okay - a SC may be asking a little too much. How about arelatively simple"performance" option?3.73 gears, better in-take,and adifferent tune? They could still make aniceprofit on that option you'd think? - And - I would bet a lot of GT buyers would take it if it meant the warranty was intact. Eh, I guess thats the GT-350, which they'd rather limit and get a nice mark up on.

I'm not crazy about the potenially "new Camaro" personally, but it will prolly be a good thing for Mustang buyers in that Ford would have a DIRECT competitor. No more bending us over for an extra 30-40 hp!

Having said that rant :P , Ford did make a pretty damn good car in the bang for buck category....just not sure how long it will last with the GT's - A new Camaro coming, 22k Dodge, Pontiac andChevy's right on our tails??? Surprise us Ford....PLEASE!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:31 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

You dont have to put the pedal to the floor at every red light. If you are building this car for "racing"....you will never keep a warranty. They provide good numbers but I would not recommend that anyone continuously race it.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vack75

I believe the Ford Racing S/C is also covered, if installed by yadda yadda yadda..............
Roush is the only SC that gives you a power train warranty. Saleen covers only the SC (unless it's a Saleen Mustang), and ironically, you get no warranty with the Ford unit either.

If you're concerned about the car's warranty, you have no business modding it in the first place. Screw the warranty.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500
You need to limit that S/C to 5 lbs boost from Saleen as well unless you are authorizing Saleen to make your car the extreme and push even more HP with a warranty. I say screw the warranty and go with a H.O. whipple from this guy and he is ASE certified and worked for ford many years. He is about 6 hours from you though in Michigan. http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.html JMO hope it helps
With the 475hp upgrade from Saleen, you get more boost than the 5lbs. Saleen originally offered in its earlier SC setups. Now that the 475hp upgrade has been out for over a year (apparently with no problems to date), Saleen is saying it will warranty the upgrade too, so long as it is installed by a Saleen authorized tech. A few other Saleen owners have confirmed this as well recently. But don't take my word, just call Saleen to confirm for yourself.

As for the comment that Roush is the only SC that provides a powertrain warranty, I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean. Ford gives you a powertrain warranty on your stock Mustang powertrain parts, and the Saleen SC does not void that warranty if you have a Saleen authorized shop install a Saleen SC. Moreover, with an authorized Saleen install, you keep your original Ford warranty on all parts that the Saleen tech did not modify, and Saleen covers all the Saleen-modified parts. So you're fully protected. Again, don't take my word for it, just call Saleen directly.

Also, I wouldn't be so dismissive of the factory warranties that cover your $30k purchase. A blown motor can cost you some serious $$$. There are members here on MF who have exceeded 450 rwhp without forged internals and ended up with blown motors. This is precisely one of the reasons that certain products from Ford Racing, Roush, and Saleen -- which may allow you to retain your Ford factory warranty -- oftentimes cost substantially more than other performance parts on the market (which may or may not be of equal quality). But as I said before, we each have our own personal level of risk tolerance.

Good luck, however you decide to go.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM
57Heavy
1st Gear Member

Why not just get a Shelby GT500?
57 Heavy
Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

I spoke at length today with Saleen nin ref. to their 435HP S/C. I did not discuss the 475HP S/C. They told me that if the Saleen S/C is installed at an authorized Saleen dealership, then they warranty the drivetrain for 12/12K.

If the car is brought to Saleen either in CA or MI and they do the install the entire drivetrain is covered for the remainder of your factory 3/36K. Cost of them doing the install is $1,250 for the 435HP S/C. It only takes one day for the install as they reflash your computer right there instead of having it shipped out from the Fjord dealer.

I also noticed that MagnaCharger is offering an extended drivetrainwarranty for $200 on their S/C. Have not looked into it yet as far as details.

Yes, Roush has a 3/36K as standard.

I don't think Whipple has any warranty as applies to the drivetrain. Still waiting for a return call from them.

For the original poster, you should not be all that far from Troy, MI. Might be worth calling Saleen and having them do it. They said lead time is 2 weeks and the cost for the 435HP S/C for the 2007 GT is around $5,800 (a bit more than the 05/06 due to plumbing changes).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??