Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:26 AM
strunza

Default What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??

Well, I started a post a couple of day's ago about the warranty being voided if you have a dealership install a supercharger on a brand new vehicle ..Now that it is clear to me !!
I live in NW Indiana, approx. 50 miles southeast of Chicago Illinios !
I am interested in purchasing a 07 Blk on Blk Mustang GT W/ premium package ! I would also like to have a supercharger installed immediately on the GT ! Any recommendations on who would be the best in the area to have that done ? Also, any suggestions on which brand of Supercharger that would be the best alround pick ! I have a 2007 blown LS2 Trailblazer SS and I went through He#@ with the tuning issues with that ! I would like to do my homework better on this go around and start here with you guy's and see where you guy's send me !! It will be a daily driver , so i am looking for reliability and a good track record with working on the newer mustangs ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Thank you in advance !!
Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??

Whipple!

oh, wait..do you want to keep your warranty...?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

The only Supercharger you can go with and keep something of a warranty is the Roush unit. It must be installed and/or serviced by a certified mechanic (ASE, or similar). If not ASE, the shop doing the work needs to at least be a legitimate business in the auto repair business.

The Roush warranty is generally as follows: you're covered up to $5000 on the engine, $3000 on the tranny and drive train, and $1000 on the transaxle. I might be off on some of the amounts, but the point being the Ford warranty is essentially voided on those components, but is supplemented by the limitedRoush warranty. The warranty is voided if you change the pulley or do not use the plug-n-play Roush program, although I've heard there are ways to get around that.

I'll add this too: warranties are for sissies. Use a vortech or whipple and push the engine to 500 hp. The engine should do fine as long as you don't abuse it, change the oil regularly, blah, blah, blah. Anything over 550 hp and your engine is living on borrowed time.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 AM
Reco

Ratnacage is correct...options are limited if you want to keep your waranty.

Unfortunately, Ford doesn't make it very easy on those of us that want to make sure those SRT-4's, Cobalt SS/SC's, Evo's,350z's etc..stay in our rear view mirror (not just out of a dig) and keep our warranty. The ChevyCobalt offers a factory SC, why cant Ford? Okay - a SC may be asking a little too much. How about arelatively simple"performance" option?3.73 gears, better in-take,and adifferent tune? They could still make aniceprofit on that option you'd think? - And - I would bet a lot of GT buyers would take it if it meant the warranty was intact. Eh, I guess thats the GT-350, which they'd rather limit and get a nice mark up on.

I'm not crazy about the potenially "new Camaro" personally, but it will prolly be a good thing for Mustang buyers in that Ford would have a DIRECT competitor. No more bending us over for an extra 30-40 hp!

Having said that rant :P , Ford did make a pretty damn good car in the bang for buck category....just not sure how long it will last with the GT's - A new Camaro coming, 22k Dodge, Pontiac andChevy's right on our tails??? Surprise us Ford....PLEASE!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

Saleen, installed by Team JDM. I put down 460RWHP with their 450RWHP upgrade package, with a fuel system..they say easy 480RWHP
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Reco

Ratnacage is correct...options are limited if you want to keep your waranty.

Unfortunately, Ford doesn't make it very easy on those of us that want to make sure those SRT-4's, Cobalt SS/SC's, Evo's,350z's etc..stay in our rear view mirror (not just out of a dig) and keep our warranty. The ChevyCobalt offers a factory SC, why cant Ford? Okay - a SC may be asking a little too much. How about arelatively simple"performance" option?3.73 gears, better in-take,and adifferent tune? They could still make aniceprofit on that option you'd think? - And - I would bet a lot of GT buyers would take it if it meant the warranty was intact. Eh, I guess thats the GT-350, which they'd rather limit and get a nice mark up on.

I'm not crazy about the potenially "new Camaro" personally, but it will prolly be a good thing for Mustang buyers in that Ford would have a DIRECT competitor. No more bending us over for an extra 30-40 hp!

Having said that rant :P , Ford did make a pretty damn good car in the bang for buck category....just not sure how long it will last with the GT's - A new Camaro coming, 22k Dodge, Pontiac andChevy's right on our tails??? Surprise us Ford....PLEASE!
If you buy a Saleen SC installed by Saleen, you get to keep the warranty from Ford, this was per Ford and Saleen when I asked both of them, but no promises. As for direct competitor Ford proved they could beat Chevy without having a faster car by selling more Mustang's than all versions of the F-Body combined.

Why Ford waited until after the death of the F-Body...well, I know the answer but too long to get into... but this time Ford knows that they can make a faster Mustang and from the looks of it they will sell one that competes against the 400hp Camaro what we don't know is if it will be in a standard GT or an upper Z28 competitor like a Boss 302.

My thoughts are the GT has always been the direct competition for the Z28, lets keep it that way.. I hope Ford agrees.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

Had mine installed and tuned by Sutton Ford in Matteson. Check them out .... www.suttonhp.com
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

I believe that a Saleen supercharger installed by a Saleen-authorized Ford dealer will not void any Ford warranties. Check with your local dealership, though, to confirm.

I'm biased, but I think the Saleen supercharger with the 475 hp upgrade is amazing. I've heard great things about the Saleen SC with the JDM 450 rwhp package, too, but that route will definitely void your warranty should any problems later arise relating to the supercharger install. You could always install the stock Saleen SC package first (435 hp) and then decide, if you still crave more power, to add the JDM 450 rwhp package.

I'm not one to disregard warranties altogether, especiallyfor a $30k+ purchase.Several friends of mine have had serious drivetrain and/or electrical problems that would have otherwise cost thousands of dollars (for one friend, a $10k+ engine failure) that were completely covered by factory warranties. But we all have different levels of risk tolerance...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: elburrito99

I believe that a Saleen supercharger installed by a Saleen-authorized Ford dealer will not void any Ford warranties. Check with your local dealership, though, to confirm.

I'm biased, but I think the Saleen supercharger with the 475 hp upgrade is amazing. I've heard great things about the Saleen SC with the JDM 450 rwhp package, too, but that route will definitely void your warranty should any problems later arise relating to the supercharger install. You could always install the stock Saleen SC package first (435 hp) and then decide, if you still crave more power, to add the JDM 450 rwhp package.

I'm not one to disregard warranties altogether, especiallyfor a $30k+ purchase.Several friends of mine have had serious drivetrain and/or electrical problems that would have otherwise cost thousands of dollars (for one friend, a $10k+ engine failure) that were completely covered by factory warranties. But we all have different levels of risk tolerance...
I also believe that a FRPP Whipple, installed by an authorized SVT Motorsport Ford dealer will keep your warranty intact as well.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Whipple or Saleen. Whipple will get you much better numbers though.

Quick Reply: What Supercharger to go with and which installer ??