Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for brakes, what to get . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Time for brakes, what to get . . .

Pads are about shot but the rotors show no wear.

Thinking about going with Brenspeed's Hawk HPS pads, SS lines, Motul fluid for $369

Is this a good deal?

I found the pads for $76 and $61 front and rear respectively, so are the SS lines and fluid really $231 more?

Could I put the same kind of kit together for cheaper?

Suggestions?

Also, how hard is it to change out the pads and lines in the driveway? I have heard the rear pads require a special tool to release the piston to pull the pads.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Time for brakes, what to get . . .

This is a good kit. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Changing the pads and lines is easy. You will need a friend to help you bleed the brakes when you are done changing the parts out. You do need a special tool to back off the caliper in the rear. You can borrow them for free from many auto parts stores. If you want to buy one they are easily found and they are very cheap. The cheapest version of the tool is a little metal cube with different protrusions on every face. You use this in conjunction with a ratchet and an extension to screw the piston back into place. The other kind, which I prefer, is more of a clamp type with a screw and various "pads" you swap in to suit your calipers. I bought mine from Harbor Freight a couple years ago...inexpensive and it works great.

Here's the tool I use:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

Here is what the other kind looks like:
http://www.toolweb.com/pics/LIS28600.jpg
Old 04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks CrazyAl,

Always appreciate your straight forward and complete replies. Haven't seen you on the boards for a while except for the "backpressure" thread. But there has been a TON of repeated posts asking the same thing and it can be frustrating wading through it all finding the few legit posts worth taking the time to respond to.

In addition, if I decide to have the SS installed by a shop, is it fine to go to midas, ford dealer, or do I need to find a mustang perfomance tune shop to ensure good work and a fair price.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Hah, I must have just been missing the threads. I have been very busy these last several weekends, so that may well explain it.

Anyway, stainless lines are easy to install. I would imagine that a shop like Midas or whomever would have no trouble doing it. Still, regardless of who does it, I would look under the car periodically after the work to make sure there are no leaks. The chance is miniscule, but it doesn't hurt to be safe.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Thanks CrazyAl,

Always appreciate your straight forward and complete replies. Haven't seen you on the boards for a while except for the "backpressure" thread. But there has been a TON of repeated posts asking the same thing and it can be frustrating wading through it all finding the few legit posts worth taking the time to respond to.
A suggestion for the best posts... go to the member list... search for crazyAl and click on his post total.. .brings up his last 50.... I look every couple of days for an eduction!!

+1 Thanks Al