Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter is in.....And Awesome..Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default MGW Shifter is in.....And Awesome..Pics

Ok, so I was forced to take the day off work to wait for the TV repair guy. Very opportune time to do the shifter install........Didn't really succeed with any under car pics, just not a photo friendly spot....But got quite a few from up top.....

Center Console and Shift Boot Removed

Dust boot removed, revealing that wonderful stock shifter.......[:'(][:'(][:'(]

Shifter has been removed. Disconnected below, and fed out through the top side....Note Shift linkage lying on top of the driveshaft....

YA, THAT ABOUT SUMS IT UP........[8D][8D][8D][8D]

Part of the MGW kitare two sheets of Dynamat. First sheet is put down, covering the tunnel opening. Press down to form an indentation
of the tunnel opening. Should be cut with some excess, to tuck under.

Dynamat cut, tucked, and rolled......

Following that, the main body of the MGW shifter is set into the tunnel from above. Shifter is resting on the driveshaft, and will not fall
through.....
Time to dive back underneath......

Main body of the shifter is secured with the two rear bolts and nuts. Following that, the front shifter arm is secured to the front of the
transmission. The two pieces of the new shifter are then joined together at the front of the main body....Makes both halves very easy to
install...This is the view from up top after the shifter is actually secured below....

Got a bit out of sequence here with the pics.....[:'(][:'(], but this is with the dust boot, along with the sound shield blanket installed....

This pic actually should have been before the last one. This is a pic of the shift body with the stop plates installed...Very secure, very
solid.......easy install.....

After installing the shift plates, dust boot, and sound blanket, the actual shift bracket, and shift handle of your choice, (either stock thread,
which also accommodates the MGW Gripper Ball, or Hurst thread) are attached......

Finally, the center console, boot, trim ring, and shift **** are re-installed......She's back to normal......Actually, much better!!

This is where the shifter was, prior to installation. This is with a Saleen Short Shift Block installed. Note the shift handle is about 4 1/4 inches or so from the dash. First gear is at about 4 1/4.

Second gear is at about 6 1/2. That makes the throw with the Saleen about 2 1/4 inches. Keep in mind that Saleen advertises the shift block
to reduce factory throw by about 24 percent......

Now, this is with the MGW, set at the longest throw it has to offer, or, with the shift rod down below screwed all the way up into the shift body.
Note that the shift handle now sits at a much more comfortable 6 inches or so, away from the dash....About 2 inches further back than the Saleen.
This is first gear, at about 6 inches......

Second gear, at about 8 1/2 or so.....So, the longest MGW throw is about 2 1/2 inches.....Close to the same as the Saleen shift block,
but oh, so smoother......

This is the MGW, set at the shortest throw, which is 12 turns of the adjustment rod on the underside. This is as short as is suggested you go.
Note the shifter still sits almost two inches further back from the dash. This is first gear, at about 6 1/4 inches......

This is second gear, at about 8 inches or so, which makes the shortest first to second shift on the MGW about 1 3/4........Just a snap of
the wrist......

First impressions on the test run..................Well, I have to be honest, I missed 2nd gear first time.... Guess I had the memory of the
Saleen throw etched in my brain, and totally blew this new, short smooth shift......However, after taking it easy a few times, getting used to
the feel of the shifter, 2nd is just a quick wrist snap, and you are there. Third gear at WOT finds itself, no effort, no problem. I was absolutely shocked, and actually thought the first time that I had not engaged......

Last test drive, I got after it pretty good. I have my shift light set very conservative, at about 6K or so. When I banged second gear, I almost put her sideways..........Third gear chirp, no sweat......

I am totally impressed early on with the quality of this shifter, the ease of install, and the COMPLETENESS of the shifter package. From every part
being perfectly machined, to the inclusion of dynamat and sound blanket, this is absolutely a complete kit. I cannot wait to spend a bit more time with the shifter, and settle in on my comfort throw. For now, she is set to the shortest shift, and even at that setting, requires less shifting effort than with the Saleen shift adaptor.......

Thanks George, although I cannot compare to other after market shifters, as far as I'm concerned, worth the wait!!

Mike

Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter is in.....And Awesome..Pics

Great write up!

About how long did it take you?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:51 PM
SCed3.8

Great write up...the dynamat is a nice touch to keep interior noise down.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Thanks!! Took about three hours, totally taking my time, taking pics, and no lift or ramps!! My driveway pitches well upward, so all I have to do is put the front end going up the drive, and slide under at street level......

Mike

Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

great write-up as mentioned!

Looks awesome, cant wait till i can get one
Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice!
Funny, must be something with these shifters, I missed 2nd gear the 1st time too, lol. After that all was fine. I was coming from stock so it was a totally different feel for me. I cant wait to get more car time.

Install took me 2 hours from pulling the car in the shop, to pulling it out.
I had a lift and didnt take pictures so theres your extra hour.

I think I could do it in an hour now after installing it once.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

Very nice write up, I'll be doing mine Saturday. I've read and re-read the instuctions and with your write up it looks like a piece of cake. Thanks for sharing...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM
cdub
1st Gear Member

iv heard these things are expensive. How much was yours and where did you purchase if you dont mind my asking?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Funny, must be something with these shifters, I missed 2nd gear the 1st time too, lol.
Now I don't feel near as bad....................[:'(][:'(]

iv heard these things are expensive. How much was yours and where did you purchase if you dont mind my asking?
They are from mgwltd.com. Honestly, I do not know what the normal price will be. I think I read that someone ordered one, and it was like 343 delivered, but I do not know for sure. I got in on the "beta testing" group, so it was substancially less than that, shift stops inclusive....

Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Great instruction!! The dynamat is a good idea for interior noise, but you know I kinda like the interior noise a little...

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter is in.....And Awesome..Pics