Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install time on LCA's and Uca's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Install time on LCA's and Uca's?

Androz is right on.

Instant Center is a pretty complicated subject. Google for it and you will find much better information than I could write down. But simply put, instant center adjustments let you optimize your weight transfer at launch so that you get more traction at your rear wheels.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

No what he means is that your control arms from the factory are horizontal and once you lower your car they turn a little bit diagonal. So you will need the relocation bracket to make them horizontal or a little bit more aggressive for traction. You will still need the adj. panhard to center the wheels.

Andrew
Androz is right on.

Instant Center is a pretty complicated subject. Google for it and you will find much better information than I could write down. But simply put, instant center adjustments let you optimize your weight transfer at launch so that you get more traction at your rear wheels.

Al
Thanks guys, I'm learning slowly but surely.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

sorry to repeat myself, but are you going to have them welded in, or just bolted??
Old 04-05-2007, 05:15 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

sorry to repeat myself, but are you going to have them welded in, or just bolted??
You talkin' to me? [sm=smokin.gif]

Well anyway I would probably not get mine welded. They wouldn't get that much wear and tear anyway.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ok, thanks. . . the q was for Shaguarama, but anybody's opinion is welcomed. i just wasn't sure if it was one of those "recommended", "highly recommended" or "mandatory" things. I just remember reading Crazy Al saying to weld them. . .
Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Shaguarama
2nd Gear Member

For now I'm just going to bolt the relocation brackets in. If I start running slicks and cut 60 ft times faster than 1.60 then I may weld them in place. But that would be in the future -Andrew
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I know crazy Al recommends the adj. LCA's over the adj. UCA, but I'd recommend the adj. upper. It maybe harder to get to, but there are only two nuts to loosen to adjust versus 4 for the LCA's and you only have to adjust the one control arm. I have both and find adjusting the upper much easier than ****ing with the lowers.

Get fixed lowers and adj. upper.

ORIGINAL: wingman75

If I lower my car I want to get the adjustable LCAs. Maybe I'll get them anyway to improve my launches. If they are adjustable why are the relocation brackets neccesary? I never understood this and have not heard an explanation. Anybody?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Shaguarama
2nd Gear Member

I have already bought the Spohn adjustable upper and adjustable lower control arms. Anyone have anymore advice for when I install them this weekend? Luckily I will be using a lift at a friends shop. - Andrew
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Ya, don't try to lower the gas tank unless you are replacing the upper control arm mount. It's not necessary and a royal pain in the butt. Just remove the mounting bolts and remove the stock upper arm with the mount still stuck under the gas tank. Put the new upper in and reinstall the bolts. Be sure to torque everything to spec so you don't have to do this again.

Also torque all control arm mounting bolts with the suspension loaded, except for the upper arm where it mounts to the body or rather the upper control arm mount. This can be torque as I said above.

ORIGINAL: Shaguarama

I have already bought the Spohn adjustable upper and adjustable lower control arms. Anyone have anymore advice for when I install them this weekend? Luckily I will be using a lift at a friends shop. - Andrew
Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Good advice.

The only thing I'd add is be sure to loctite all of the fasteners as you put them back together. Don't forget the jam nuts on your adjuster(s) too.

Quick Reply: Install time on LCA's and Uca's?