Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Clutch and Flywheel?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default New Clutch and Flywheel?

Just found out that my clutch is going out. [:@] I'm going to upgrade of course, but I want to know if anyone has upgraded their clutch and flywheel, and what you are using. SPEC? Fidenza? Aluminum flywheel or steel? If so, how do you like your setup?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Clutch and Flywheel?

Ive read good things about the Fidanza clutch/flywheel kit. The friction surface of the flywheel is replaceable so youll never have to get it turned. Its actually smaller than the OE clutch but it has more pressure so it works better. That and if later you get to some crazy ridiculous HP level changing to a 6 puck or dual clutch disc setup is a breeze.
-P.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

So which one should I go with. The Stage 3 or the Stage 4?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Ive read good things about the Fidanza clutch/flywheel kit. The friction surface of the flywheel is replaceable so youll never have to get it turned. Its actually smaller than the OE clutch but it has more pressure so it works better. That and if later you get to some crazy ridiculous HP level changing to a 6 puck or dual clutch disc setup is a breeze.
-P.
A couple of things to think about:

1) ALL aluminum flywheels have a replaceable friction surface...so this is no different than other brands.
2) Smaller + higher pressure isn't necissarily better. A higher pressure setup will have a stiffer pedal and also the engagement isn't as smooth. It will be more "on/off" and not so "slippable".

Personally I would suggest the Spec Stage 3+ with the aluminum flywheel. Of all the clutches I have driven on FI cars I prefer this one the most, by far. The pedal feel is much closer to stock than the Fidanza. This clutch is extremely popular with blown or turbo engines.

I suggest the Spec becasue this particular clutch has excellent holding power yet is also very street friendly. There are Fidanzas that are just as strong but they aren't as driver-friendly. The Centerforce is pretty much a joke when you start talking about serious performance applications such as blowers. And the Spec units are made to tighter tolerances than most other clutch brands. You also have your choice of an aluminum pressure plate, which lightens the clutch even more if you want that.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks Al! Your information is always very clear and valuable. I have also heard many good things about the Spec Stage 3+. I'll probably go with that one, which will maintain the "streetability comfort factor" from what I hear.

THANKS!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:17 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

SPEC all the way.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:22 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Both of my Centerforce's on my fox were one extreme to the other. One slipped and one hit way too hard and broke stuff. I haven't run the Spec yet, but it's clutch time soon and i'm gonna try a stage 2 setup

Aluminum flywheels are cool but one other thing to consider is your application. If you are drag racing and have a good suspension setup an aluminum flywheel isn't necessarily for you. An aluminum flywheel wont hit as hard when you let it fly, and the car wont leave as hard. The flip side is that if your suspension is just "ok", it wont hit as hard , which wont shock the tires. Like I said, it depends on your application.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Where is a good place to get the Spec Stage 3+??
Old 04-05-2007, 10:52 PM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fireguy28

Where is a good place to get the Spec Stage 3+??
Try a sponsor like Lethal Performance. You'll be happy with the SPEC. I use one on another car and will be using one on my Mustang when I kill this clutch.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Are you required to buy the flywheel with the spec clutch? I read somewhere that it was required and that didn't seem right, but I could be wrong...I am going to be getting one soon and wanted to make sure that was the case...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Clutch and Flywheel?