Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird happenings with airbag light.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Weird happenings with airbag light.......

Whenever my wife stretches in the passenger seat the passenger side airbag off light comes on for a few seconds then goes off. Anyone else noticed this? We've determined that her big feet are putting pressure on something causing this to happen.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:31 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird happenings with airbag light.......

Actually, it's probably because she takes her weight off the seat. If the passanger weighs less than I think 60 lbs. the air bag disarms......

Old 04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

hmmm when i got my CAI it came in a big square box, and when i drove to my friends house to install it with him i put the box in the passenger seat and strapped it in with the seatbelt, and the airbag light turned on. so i'm guessing that the reason the light came on was cuz the seatbelt was strapped in, so the car assumed someone was sitting there, but the box was relatively light compared to a person. my guess is that the butt part of the seat has a weight sensor, and if the seatbelt is strapped in but there isnt enough weight on the seat, the car assumes a small child is sitting there and turns off the airbag. since this means that weight sensor thing is a safetly feature, there probably isnt any easy way to turn off the weight sensor

so basically when ur wife was stretching, her butt probably wasnt really pressing on the seat enough and the car deactivated the airbag until she sat back down.

i'm too lazy to try this myself, but i'll bet if you turn on ur car and strap in the passenger seatbelt with no one in the seat, the airbag light will come on
Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

+1mlcrycc
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

My daughter is 85 pounds and depending on how she moves the airbag light flickers on and off at times
Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JibStyle

hmmm when i got my CAI it came in a big square box, and when i drove to my friends house to install it with him i put the box in the passenger seat and strapped it in with the seatbelt, and the airbag light turned on. so i'm guessing that the reason the light came on was cuz the seatbelt was strapped in, so the car assumed someone was sitting there, but the box was relatively light compared to a person. my guess is that the butt part of the seat has a weight sensor, and if the seatbelt is strapped in but there isnt enough weight on the seat, the car assumes a small child is sitting there and turns off the airbag. since this means that weight sensor thing is a safetly feature, there probably isnt any easy way to turn off the weight sensor

so basically when ur wife was stretching, her butt probably wasnt really pressing on the seat enough and the car deactivated the airbag until she sat back down.

i'm too lazy to try this myself, but i'll bet if you turn on ur car and strap in the passenger seatbelt with no one in the seat, the airbag light will come on
You nailed it.
Happens with my wife riding shotgun at times as she gets fidgety easily.
I just casually advise her to keep her butt planted in the seat or I'll do it for her when shifting to 2nd.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:40 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You guys are geniuses! Can't wait to tell big foot, i mean my wife.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

You guys are geniuses! Can't wait to tell big foot, i mean my wife.
lol....Bigfoot......

Just score some "next mod points" with her, and tell her it's because of her very light ***......
Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Next mod might be removing big foot from mouth
Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

lol....Bigfoot......

Just score some "next mod points" with her, and tell her it's because of her very light ***......
She'll be happy to hear that's she's not heavy enough to register with the airbag sensor.

Quick Reply: Weird happenings with airbag light.......