Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Installation (with pics and videos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MGW Shifter Installation (with pics and videos)

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

your tacobill on youtube, right? you've got all those sweet vids of your car buildup and such?
finally found your way to mustangforums! sweet!
Yup! I'm the guilty one...

Check out my latest Easter video. I'll throw it up on the main section too.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ridiculously good job
Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I got my shifter in the mail today. Woohoo!!

This is the best packed prodcut I've ever received. After getting through all of the wrapping, the quality of the product is totally amazing. The completeness of the kit is unbelievable. This product is by far the best product I have purchased in a very long time. It includes all the nuts, washers, and small tools you will need to install. All the pieces are individually wrapped and labeled. The dynamat is an added plus to reduce the noice levels. None of the other shifter on the market do this. Every piece in the kit that makes contact with another metal part is coated in rubber to reduce noice and vibration. You can tell George wants his product to be the best on the market.

I can't wait to get it installed tomorrow.

The only comment I have to make is to make sure you specify which shifter lever you want when you order. George offers two. If you want one that will work with the stock shifter just tell them you are using the stock ****. If you want the shifter lever exposed as in the hurst, tell them that you want the shifter lever that will work with the Hurst shifter *****. I sent George an email and I'm hoping he can accomodate my request and exchange the shifter lever for me.

For any of you thinking this shifter is a bit more expensive then the others, believe me, IT IS WORTH IT!!! I haven't even installed it yet but from looking at it and comparing it to the others out there, this is defineitely much better engineered and manufactured. The quality is absolutely amazing!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

I got my shifter in the mail today. Woohoo!!

This is the best packed prodcut I've ever received. After getting through all of the wrapping, the quality of the product is totally amazing. The completeness of the kit is unbelievable. This product is by far the best product I have purchased in a very long time. It includes all the nuts, washers, and small tools you will need to install. All the pieces are individually wrapped and labeled. The dynamat is an added plus to reduce the noice levels. None of the other shifter on the market do this. Every piece in the kit that makes contact with another metal part is coated in rubber to reduce noice and vibration. You can tell George wants his product to be the best on the market.

I can't wait to get it installed tomorrow.

The only comment I have to make is to make sure you specify which shifter lever you want when you order. George offers two. If you want one that will work with the stock shifter just tell them you are using the stock ****. If you want the shifter lever exposed as in the hurst, tell them that you want the shifter lever that will work with the Hurst shifter *****. I sent George an email and I'm hoping he can accomodate my request and exchange the shifter lever for me.
So, apparently they didn't pick up the fact about the shift handle when you commented about the hurst ball.....bummer.....But I am sure George will get you taken care of no problem.....

Look forward to hearing your impressions with install and function. You will love it.....Also, did you receive the new bushings with your shipment? What about the new progressive springs??

Mike
Old 04-14-2007, 01:59 AM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, it did come with the new bushings. They look different then the ones in these pictures. They appear to be made of a thicker material and they are black.

The shifter came with the original springs but I read in another forum that George will be shipping all of the shifters invoiced after today with the new spring.

I was out of town all week and just got home around 8:30 PM. It was all I could do to control myself and not go into the garage to install it tonight. I can't wait to get it in. Unfortunately they're saying we're getting a noreaster starting tomorrow with heavy wind, lots of rain and maybe even some snow. This has been the worst spring, I've hardly had a chance to drive the car at all.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:04 AM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

Amazing details Great Work....

By the way you have the cleanest work area I have ever seen.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:32 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Hi Mike,

Yes, it did come with the new bushings. They look different then the ones in these pictures. They appear to be made of a thicker material and they are black.

The shifter came with the original springs but I read in another forum that George will be shipping all of the shifters invoiced after today with the new spring.

I was out of town all week and just got home around 8:30 PM. It was all I could do to control myself and not go into the garage to install it tonight. I can't wait to get it in. Unfortunately they're saying we're getting a noreaster starting tomorrow with heavy wind, lots of rain and maybe even some snow. This has been the worst spring, I've hardly had a chance to drive the car at all.
Sorry to hear about the weather. Won't go into what it's like here in So Cal...... I read that same info on the other forum. I may try the other springs when George sends em to me, just for comparison. Depends on what's involved with removing the current ones. I will go ahead and swap out the bushings, just because I know my current ones have a little wear from using with the Saleen adaptor....Good luck. Hope you get to install this weekend. Let me know what you think.....

Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Well, inspite of the noreaster, I installed the MGW shifter today. The install was fairly simple, thanks to TacoBill's excellent intructions and Gerorge's video on his site. I ordered the shift stops but after reading the instructions and the warnings, I decided not to install them. If you are thinking about ordernig this shifter, make sure you specify what type or shifter handle you want and talk to george about whether or not you need the shift stops. His instructions warn that if you install the shift stops, there is no warranty and you may damage the shifter, the transmission or both.

Tha rain is falling sideways here on LI so I'm not taking the car out. I installed the shifter adjusted 12 turns out, which is the max. At this setting, the throws are reduced by 50%. My shifter came with the stiffer spring and although I have not driven the car yet, it feels just right. The shifts are really tight. I may have to adjust the throw a little further but I won't know until I actually drive the car. I can't wait!! This is the tightest shifter I've felt thus far. The throws are much shorter then the tri-ax, the Roush or the hurst. This is an excellent piece of equipment.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Nice job.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Well, inspite of the noreaster, I installed the MGW shifter today.
Glad the install went smooth. Let us know how the 12 turns out feels likeout on the road.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Installation (with pics and videos)