Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backend whinning in slow turns

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 07:48 PM
seraphim

Default Backend whinning in slow turns

Don't know what's goin' on but I figures my fellow Mustang brethren may have an idea. In slow turns I hear a whinning in rear. Don't know if its the pumpkin, the tires, the suspension or whatever. It may be whinning a faster turns too but I can't tell. Doesn't matter whether its a left or right turn? Getting ready to take it in for a check but absolutelyHATE, HATE, HATEtaking it to the dealer for diagnosis when I haveno idea what the problem may be.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Backend whinning in slow turns

Sounds like your clutch packs. The stealership should fix no problem.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:08 PM
seraphim

I should have mentioned that its an automatic.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:13 PM
yzfmik
2nd Gear Member

Mine does the same thing (manual). I haven't had time to get it looked at, is it bad to let it go? Will it cause any long term probs?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the issue mine had after my first 700 miles. The rear clutch pack was replaced and all is well again. There should be a TSB about it and is covered under the warranty.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

It's the clutch packs, and there is a TSB about it, and you can take your chances and have the dealer try to fix it, or you can do what I did: I was lazy and didn't do anything about it, and it went away on its own after a few thousand miles. I now believe it was more of a break-in issue than an actual defect.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Mine started immediately and did it up through 5300 miles....so difference....had to take the car in for an unrelated problem. I mentioned it and they replaced the rear clutch packs under warranty from a TSB. Does not do it anymore. I had NO problems with the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

TSB 06-12-11 to update the Service Procedure.
ISSUE:[/u]
Some 2005-2007 Mustang GT vehicles equipped with the 8.8 inch limited slip axle may exhibit a moan/groan noise when making tight low speed turns. This may be more noticeable when the axle is at full operating temperature. The noise may also be confused as originating from the brakes or steering system.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

^ Use TSB 06-19-02 though, as it supercedes 06-12-11.

Funny that this topic should come up as I just took mine into the dealer to have this done yesterday. It visited the dealership for this probelm, oncebefore I knew what it was, and they told me they verified there was a moan, but dismissed it as the power steering pump making noise.Said it was normal and every Ford car did it. So after riding in a friends Mustang that didnt do it, I started digging into it a little more and found that there is a TSB on it. Took it in yesterday for the TSB work and went to pick it back up.... well they told me they couldnt replicated the sound this time. Keep in mind its the same dealership that told me they heard it last time the car was in. Im now in the process of scheduling another visit so they can ride with me. Mine has had the noise since the day I got it... ~15k miles now. Its definately not a breakin problem.

Ive also got the cruise hesitation problem with the fuel pump... they were supposed to fix that yesterday as well. They took it on an 8 mile cruise (I monitored the odo) and said they couldnt replicate the stalling problem. Then proceeded to tell me that the hesitation I experienced before was"the advan-track button was on" (stupid dealers description of traction control). Said that if I turn the button off it wont hesitate like that. I just thought to myself "Ya... my car is so powerful I can break the tires loose at 80... NOT". So it has to go back for that too, but Im not sure how I can prove to them ittheres a problem- aside from taking them on a 45 minute cruise....
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

^ Use TSB 06-19-02 though, as it supercedes 06-12-11.

Funny that this topic should come up as I just took mine into the dealer to have this done yesterday. It visited the dealership for this probelm, oncebefore I knew what it was, and they told me they verified there was a moan, but dismissed it as the power steering pump making noise.Said it was normal and every Ford car did it. So after riding in a friends Mustang that didnt do it, I started digging into it a little more and found that there is a TSB on it. Took it in yesterday for the TSB work and went to pick it back up.... well they told me they couldnt replicated the sound this time. Keep in mind its the same dealership that told me they heard it last time the car was in. Im now in the process of scheduling another visit so they can ride with me. Mine has had the noise since the day I got it... ~15k miles now. Its definately not a breakin problem.

Ive also got the cruise hesitation problem with the fuel pump... they were supposed to fix that yesterday as well. They took it on an 8 mile cruise (I monitored the odo) and said they couldnt replicate the stalling problem. Then proceeded to tell me that the hesitation I experienced before was"the advan-track button was on" (stupid dealers description of traction control). Said that if I turn the button off it wont hesitate like that. I just thought to myself "Ya... my car is so powerful I can break the tires loose at 80... NOT". So it has to go back for that too, but Im not sure how I can prove to them ittheres a problem- aside from taking them on a 45 minute cruise....
Before you go for your next "try" at getting this fixed, make sure you take the car on the parkway for about 15 minutes, then go to the dealer. When you have them with you on the car, make sure that when you take those sharp turn at low speeds you don't push the gas, just let the car roll on its own. I'm pretty sure it will make the noise then. Your dealer is just making excuses so they don't have to fix it. I've had this done once already, last July, and I'm taking the car to the dealer on Monday to get them replaced again. Good thing I know the master technician at my dealer, he's the one that told me to just let the car roll when taking that turn so it would make that noise. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Backend whinning in slow turns