Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Trim Welt - With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Door Trim Welt - With Pics!

Do you know what color they used to match Redfire? Where did they get it?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

Got a problem and hope someone who has tried this welt product can help me find a solution. I ordered some of the silver tinsel welt from Mr. Mike's and received in a just a few days. GREAT service! However, since I received the product,I've tried to get it installed on my door but CANNOT get it to work. Why? Well, it seems that my door molding is different than thoseof theowners who posted photos in this thread. Specifically,every photo in this thread reflects a success story by guys who havedoors withsoft panel "inserts" that are actually applied on top of the basic hard plastic molding that comes standard. Yourdoor panels areessentially TWOpieces, andby theouter softer panel beingapplied onto the harder plastic molding, it creates atiny little groove thatallows the spline of the welt to actually slide into it andstay.But my door is ONE PIECE of nothing but the hard plastic molding -- I have no soft panel, and for that reason, there is no tiny little crack that the spline can slide into. The groove that's carved into basic moldingis exactly that....just a groove and there is nothing for the spline tograb onto. not sure why my door is different, but I'm thinking it's becauseI do NOT have the IUP....and Iassume thatsoft plastic panels is only includedIUP.

So, is there anyone out there who has a door just like mine, purchased the welting from Mr. Mike's, and actually been able to get it to work in that molded groove? If so, how did you do it? Glue? Tape?

I talked to Mr. Mike today and he said he was completely surprised that I'm the only one with that kind of door panel AND that others just like me haven't tried his product. In any case, my explanation to him came as a surprise and he could offer no solutions other than glue. I'm thinking about using glue, but I'm concerned that using a glue that's too strong (i.e. model glue)will actually fuse to the plastic molding and damage it....and just in case I ever decide to remove the welt, I don't want permanent damage.

Anyone?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silencer06
Your door panels are essentially TWO pieces, and by the outer softer panel being applied onto the harder plastic molding, it creates a tiny little groove that allows the spline of the welt to actually slide into it and stay. But my door is ONE PIECE of nothing but the hard plastic molding -- I have no soft panel, and for that reason, there is no tiny little crack that the spline can slide into. The groove that's carved into basic molding is exactly that....just a groove and there is nothing for the spline to grab onto. not sure why my door is different, but I'm thinking it's because I do NOT have the IUP....and I assume that soft plastic panels is only included IUP.
Anyone?
I have to think that yours are 2 separate pieces like all the others but made of the hard plastic as you describe it. When I put mine in it fit very tightly and at the rear and bottom I had to trim about an 1/8" of the tab for some distance to make it fit. Just a guess on my part though. You could go to your Ford dealer's body shop and ask about that to be sure.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

I do remember reading another thread (can't remember which forum) where it was mentioned that the welts only work with the upgraded door panels inserts. They guy that made the post ended up using some chrome trim that he got from the auto parts store instead of the welts.

If the fit is too loose maybe two lines of welt run together side by side will work......
Old 10-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I've only seen it in one other mustang that didn't have the insert panel so I don't think it's the lack of IUP but I can't promise that. I guess you're stuck gluing it?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 PM
UMTerp2010
2nd Gear Member

any one with vista blue mustangs done this? if so any pics?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

I've only seen it in one other mustang that didn't have the insert panel so I don't think it's the lack of IUP but I can't promise that. I guess you're stuck gluing it?
You're exactly right -- the reason I don't have the insert panel isbecause I don't have the IUP in my car. Didn't like all the satin aluminum on the dash so I opted to keep it all black and chrome (more classic and clean looking without it I think), but I guess I didn't realize at the time that that nice padded panel could come in handy later (for this welt!). I think I may check a junkyard to see if I can find a wrecked black Stang with the panels in tact. Don't think it's something I can order from anywhere...and I really don't want to use glue.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM
John Moss

I did the ebay bight red welt for $13 Red matches perfectly. Only question is where the two pieces comes together looks odd. Any suggestions?
Old 07-26-2014, 11:45 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

I too, had nothing but a hard piece of black plastic. Before I put on the welt I took off the panel and put in a black leather suede insert that looked like the leather inserts on the Premium versions. I used the instructions on this forum that shows how to repair sagging leather door panels, but rather than do a repair, I installed new. I then put on the welt that matched my silver stripes. Came out looking great. I am on a construction job out of town and wont return home till next week. I will post pics then.
Attached Thumbnails  Door Trim Welt - With Pics!-100_0228.jpg