Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes brakes to squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default What causes brakes to squeal?

Besides the obvious replacement indicator built into some brake pads. My brakes started squealing today. I have 9K miles on the car and barely even use the brakes, never even done a hard brake. It was a very slight squeal and possibly coming from the back. I'm guessing it's the stock pads.

I always downshift so I know they aren't worn. I had 54,000 miles on my ranger with the stock pads and probably could have gone another 54k on them.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What causes brakes to squeal?

Do they just start to squeal when you are coming close to stopping? I've had this issue recently...and it's brake dust build up. So when I rotated the tires, I had them cleaned out nicely and no more sqeak.

I spare my brakes as well and prefer to downshift and let off the gas when slowing down so I knew it wasn't my brakes wearing.

If it isn't that, I don't know what else it could be.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

+1 On brake dust
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It was raining so maybe that made a difference. I don't see where brake dust could built up. It happened when I first applied the brakes, very lightly applied I might add. the brakes on this car have never squealed before.

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Do they just start to squeal when you are coming close to stopping? I've had this issue recently...and it's brake dust build up. So when I rotated the tires, I had them cleaned out nicely and no more sqeak.

I spare my brakes as well and prefer to downshift and let off the gas when slowing down so I knew it wasn't my brakes wearing.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Brake dust build up or something stuck between the pad and rotor that got glazed in. Hit the brakes with compressed air first. If that doesn't work, hose them off. If that doesn't work, take the wheels off remove the pads and do a quick sanding on the pad surface with 200-400 grit sandpaper. Should take care of it.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

If it's never happend and you had rain, then it must be brake dust.

I noticed a lot of build up on the rotors.

You'd be better off taking off the tire and checking then cleaning.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: moosestang

It was raining so maybe that made a difference. I don't see where brake dust could built up. It happened when I first applied the brakes, very lightly applied I might add. the brakes on this car have never squealed before.

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Then you just had some crap build up between the pad and rotor that the rain kicked up. Take a hose and shoot it in there and rinse out the brakes thoroughly.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Brake dust build up or something stuck between the pad and rotor that got glazed in. Hit the brakes with compressed air first. If that doesn't work, hose them off. If that doesn't work, take the wheels off remove the pads and do a quick sanding on the pad surface with 200-400 grit sandpaper. Should take care of it.
Thanks, i'll try the sandpaper if it persists. I do live on a dirt road so i wouldn't be surprised if sand got in between the pad and rotor, seems like it would have happened allready though. I have sand in every nook and cranny under my car![:@][:@] I can't complain since I do drive like Bow Duke sometimes.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:26 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

You might want to do the sand paper trick. I suggested taking off the wheel and cleaning it because I tried just squirting a hose in there and that didn't fix it. There was just too much hiding I guess
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Hmmmm, I'd rather stomp on the brakes than downshift(for sake of slowing down in normal driving), replacing brake pads is much cheaper than replacing a clutch assembly........JMHO

Quick Reply: What causes brakes to squeal?