Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I finally put my Spyder DS in

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I finally put my Spyder DS in

You know, as many times as i had been under my ford ranger. I can't for the life of me remember if it was one or two piece. I think it was one since it was a regular cab.

How about other rear wheel drive cars, not necessarily sports cars. What kind of driveshaft does chrysler use in the 300C? Charger?

ORIGINAL: dkegel

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

^ I agree with Moose.. it would be the Explorer incident all over again. But are there any benefits ofhaving a2 piece? Maybe easier to change? And how many other cars use 2 piece shafts?
Yes, the advantage is less vibration. The longer the driveshaft the more prone it is to vibration. The Lincoln Mark VIIIs have this problem. I think a lot of trucks have a two piece shaft because of the length.

Dave
Old 05-02-2007, 12:40 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

sorry it took me a while to answer this one.
anyway glad to hear everyone's install went well. for those waiting until they are proven....i tested mine for over a year before i started selling them. they work. i have dozens of them currently in use with zero complaints.
now the clearance issue is something i tested also. with the advantage of having coilovers i tested it at many different heights. what i found was the only time you will have a clearance issue is if you are lowered approx 2"or more and still use stock rear control arms. they have too much flex and allow the differential to rotate during hard acceleration. almost every one of my shafts goes into a lowered car including mine and never had a problem with clearance or vibrations....even in autos.
my website is still under construction but it is up if you guys want to check it out
www.leonardracingproducts.com
Old 05-02-2007, 01:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree with both of you!
ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

^ I agree with Moose.. it would be the Explorer incident all over again. But are there any benefits ofhaving a2 piece? Maybe easier to change? And how many other cars use 2 piece shafts?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I'm not sold on any of the answers that I've heard so far. I have a couple ofE250 econoline vans that haveone peice driveshafts thatare about 8 feet long and 4" in diameter. They don't vibrate, there is no detecable harmonics or whatever else you wanna call it. My66 stang had a one peice unit. Never had a problem withit either. Race cars don't use multiple peice drive shafts, why should we?
Old 05-04-2007, 09:31 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clearym

You will also need a large gear puller to get the OEM rear flange off. Mine wasn't big enough and I had to rig a complex contraption so I wouldn't have to buy or rent a new one. A harmonic balance puller would probably work better but, I didn't have one.
Do you really need a gear puller to remove the stock flange? Looks like it would just fall off after removing the pinion nut.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Yes you need a puller, when I did my gears I used a steering wheel puller with 2 of the stock bolts, when I did my Spyder driveshaft I used a 2 jaw puller. I've heard you can also tap it off with a hammer. Have your new flange handy cause the gear oil will begin to drip out. My car is smoother than stock with my Spyder driveshaft.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:03 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Just orderd mine tonight!
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
YellowIH

Anyone have anything bad to say about spyder shafts?? I'm looking tobuy one of these.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

I'm trying to get one of these as well. anyone have any input on other shafts that do not use an adapter bracket? I know bmr has a carbon shaft that does not use the adapter but it costs to much for me.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:50 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I'm also saving up some $$ for my spydashaft !

Quick Reply: I finally put my Spyder DS in