Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Hellion Vid

Old 04-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Another Hellion Vid

It was indeed the 87 octane my dad put in the motor, it started pinging and shattered the number 7 piston it also put a bend in the wrist pin and cracked it into 3 pieces. You can see were the rod rattled around in the cylinder and then it destroyed the cage thats around the crank. The it smashed into one side of the block and made a crack then it smashed the other side of the block making a quarter sized hole and snapping the rod in half. Thats the time line that i have put together. I knew once i left my fathers house with the 87 octane that the car was running wierd. I can also garuntee that if it wasnt for the bad gas the car would still be kickin *** right now.
I hear ya bro, very similar situation to myself. I accidently tossed some 87 into my supercharged stang, which caused the number 8 piston to crack, and bent the rod. Its amazing what crap gas can due to a blown motor within few miles! Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fatblazer

It was indeed the 87 octane my dad put in the motor, it started pinging and shattered the number 7 piston it also put a bend in the wrist pin and cracked it into 3 pieces. You can see were the rod rattled around in the cylinder and then it destroyed the cage thats around the crank. The it smashed into one side of the block and made a crack then it smashed the other side of the block making a quarter sized hole and snapping the rod in half. Thats the time line that i have put together. I knew once i left my fathers house with the 87 octane that the car was running wierd. I can also garuntee that if it wasnt for the bad gas the car would still be kickin *** right now.
I hear ya bro, very similar situation to myself. I accidently tossed some 87 into my supercharged stang, which caused the number 8 piston to crack, and bent the rod. Its amazing what crap gas can due to a blown motor within few miles! Good luck with the rebuild!
What are you running with now??
Old 04-12-2007, 03:43 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Bitter sweet video! Good luck with your build. I got to admit your car sounds a little different than mine. In the video I could barley hear your BOV. Maybe you exhaust is louder and not allowing me to hear it on the video.

My install is perfect, drove it for a min, but there having issue with tune and keep going in fail safe mode. I am sure they will get it fixed soon. I can't wait. But the brief time I drove it before it went in fail safe, it was BAD *** to say the least and I was shifting at 4k so never real got on it and never went about 70 but I can tell by 3000rpm it wants to take off!
Good luck with your engine build!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

Bitter sweet video! Good luck with your build. I got to admit your car sounds a little different than mine. In the video I could barley hear your BOV. Maybe you exhaust is louder and not allowing me to hear it on the video.

My install is perfect, drove it for a min, but there having issue with tune and keep going in fail safe mode. I am sure they will get it fixed soon. I can't wait. But the brief time I drove it before it went in fail safe, it was BAD *** to say the least and I was shifting at 4k so never real got on it and never went about 70 but I can tell by 3000rpm it wants to take off!
I would definatley recommend a rebuild for you bump up that PSI and start owning the streets.[8D]
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I think that if I would have to rebuild the engine with that much damage, I would just drop a 5.4 in there. That would be the best opportunity to get more horse power and a better engine.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

The headache of dealing with a 5.4 swap or putting in a rebuilt 4.6 3V that can handle 800 HP easily???? HMMMM???[&:]
Old 04-12-2007, 08:00 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdback19

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

I would definatley recommend a rebuild for you bump up that PSI and start owning the streets.[8D]

I have a complete stroker going in here later in the year.

But for now. The install was 100% perfect. no leaks. no scrubs on anything! Perfect. the A/F ratio is 11.2, tune is the biggest thing on these cars! Once you go above the recommended psi your asking for it. also shifting over and over at redline (6200) is also asking for it. I feel 100% that this car could last 2 years. But nothing is 100% and knowing that when you go F/I is the main thing.
Look anytime you put stock my saleen put down 250 on the mustang dyno, now we are 392, thats 142rwhp add on. I feel really good where we are right now. It going in Fail safe mode got nothing to do with the install. also having the owner of Sniper tuning working on my car also makes me feel good. This guy ran SCT and Predator (got them where there at)

This is all key. I would never in a million years add 142 rwhp and have anyone, no disrespect to the good tuners on here that do canned tunes touch my car! I think these cars (the computers on here mainly) are really diffcult and the days of adding bolt on's to a Sn95 are over!
alot of shops would of gave me my car back a week ago and crossed there fingers. at this point I have already paid for my tuning, so it makes me feel that much better that these guys are really making sure its 100%. You can't afford not to.

I guess we will never know how long you would of lasted, since you dad put the 87 oct gas in there. My best advice for you and knowing enough about these cars, is make sure whom ever is building your engine, its done right. You may not want to go the crate motor route as alot they company's who make those cut corners. Try Power By Ford. There not building my motor, but there sending the parts to my guy and he is doing the building (he used to work for them) Either way good luck!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05BlueGT

I think that if I would have to rebuild the engine with that much damage, I would just drop a 5.4 in there. That would be the best opportunity to get more horse power and a better engine.

+1. If money is not an option I would go with a full stroker.......... the 5.4 is just not worth it. Great engines but the hassle is not worth it when you can build a better one cheaper or even better!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

I am buying the parts and putting the engine together myself. Once the engine is installed and the 87 octane is taken out of my gas tank it is getting on the trailer and is being tuned at my local tuner. I will shoot for a conservative 550RWHP.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jdback19

I am buying the parts and putting the engine together myself. Once the engine is installed and the 87 octane is taken out of my gas tank it is getting on the trailer and is being tuned at my local tuner. I will shoot for a conservative 550RWHP.

Nice. thats been my goal from day one a 550 -600 rwhp car. I think what I may do after engine is built is tune the turbo to about 475-500 rwhp and put a 75 shot of nitrous to get that thing spooling quicker