Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT w/ FRPP and FRHP vs. Shelby GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: GT w/ FRPP and FRHP vs. Shelby GT

I understand, from both points of view. Those who have the Shelby GT, are happy to have a Shelby endorsed product, and know they stand out from the crowd of mass produced 'Stangs, even if their car started out that way. Maybe some didn't know how their cars originated though. I would fit in the other category, folks who want their own mark on the car by taking it from stock to whatever they can afford to create. Me and a friend went at this in Japan, he bought a tuning shop's built Skyline GTS-t for about $7500, and I found one on the Yahoo auctions for $1800, and challenged him that I could build one better for the difference in price. I'll give him the advantage though, because he was able to drive his car, while mine was just a work in progress until I could finish it, and it took me so long to get local advice on which parts were the best bang for the buck, that he had already got sent back here before I was done...[:@]
Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

A dealer in my area has a black on black Shelby-GT, the stickers say $31,000 for the base car, something like $8300 for the Shelby conversion. So I ask how much out the door............$45,000.00. Is this what you guys that have them paid. One thing I liked about the car is that the name Shelby is centered on the trunk lid as opposed to the GT-500 that has it squished on the left side. BTW he offers me 22k for mine in trade.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: gtucker4

I understand, from both points of view. Those who have the Shelby GT, are happy to have a Shelby endorsed product, and know they stand out from the crowd of mass produced 'Stangs, even if their car started out that way. Maybe some didn't know how their cars originated though. I would fit in the other category, folks who want their own mark on the car by taking it from stock to whatever they can afford to create. Me and a friend went at this in Japan, he bought a tuning shop's built Skyline GTS-t for about $7500, and I found one on the Yahoo auctions for $1800, and challenged him that I could build one better for the difference in price. I'll give him the advantage though, because he was able to drive his car, while mine was just a work in progress until I could finish it, and it took me so long to get local advice on which parts were the best bang for the buck, that he had already got sent back here before I was done...[:@]
This is all opinion. I cant say my mustang is better than the one that only has 1000 put into it vs mine that has 6000+ dumped into it. Nothing is cut and dry about better. You can put a $700 CAI and tune comboon a GT and say its better than a Shelby GT. Why? Because you probably have about a 5-8 HP advantage on the Shelby now. Now is that better than a Shelby is?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I feel you 'mart, but I'm looking at everything total, not just HPnumbers. My goal wasn't really to beat him on the street, which would have been cool to do though, because he was the guy that got me started racing over there. It was to have a car that was truly unique, because everything on it was hand selected by me, even the paint. And you're right, I didn't really mean to say better than his, the real challenge was to be equal to, or surpass his, for less money. I feel that you have more of a personal attachment to the car if you've had influence over it's development, much more so than if you just go to a lot and buy it already packaged. I'm the type that if I was able to build a car that could beat a Shelby GT(non-500), I still wouldn't disrespect the owner, or brag about it like that. I wouldn't even race it, because an unequally matched race is pointless. It's like picking on someone you know you could beat up, which is what bully's do. I'm just going to post the project costs from start to finish, and see what happens. That being said, I definitely hope I come out waaay lower than what those GTs are going for on the lots....
Old 04-12-2007, 05:15 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

Too many people throw the name Shelby around without tying the GT or GT500 to it. A GT500is the last SVT product made by Ford and is fully assembled at AAI and sold to the dealers ready to go. A Shelby GT is a Mustang GT that is sold to SAI for conversion. Very much like Ford sells sequentially VIN'd Mustang GT's to Roush or Saleen. A Shelby GT does use parts from Ford Racing......but they are installed by SAI, numbered by SAI and sold through dealers by SAI.
Much like themustang was delivered to Shelby for conversion in 1966(?) to produce the GT350, by modifying mostly just the syspension and body, etc., so is the Shelby GT. One could say that the Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the GT500 sinceitis 100% built by Ford, but I wouldn't say that even though I just did.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueshawk

Much like themustang was delivered to Shelby for conversion in 1966(?) to produce the GT350, by modifying mostly just the syspension and body, etc., so is the Shelby GT. One could say that the Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the GT500 sinceitis 100% built by Ford, but I wouldn't say that even though I just did.
I would agree that the Shelby GT is more traditional Shelby than the GT500. The only thing Shelby about the GT500 is the lettering on the back. The car was 100% designed by SVT was originally slated to be the next SVT Cobra. It was pretty late in the game when Shelby's name was arranged to go on the car. I remember when new MFAL codes were created for the change to "Shelby GT500".....I had already cataloged most of the parts as SVT Cobra already.

Just so some you know, SVT is a division of Ford PD. Ford Racing is a division of FCSD. The GT500 is a PD/SVT born project. The Shelby GT is an FCSD/Shelby born project. As far as the Ford Service Catalog is concerned....the Shelby GT doesn't exist.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
goosala

You all brought up some very vaild points. To clarify my question: I wanted to know if I could "mod" not build because someone here corrected me on this, a GT to be similar in performance as the Shelby GT while costing less. Everyone here seems to agree that I can do thatusing Ford Racing parts. The almost8K I would save would comefrom using my labor and not the Shelby factory's. Thanksguys for helping a newbie.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

You CAN definitely do it for less! Which is something I researched long before the Shelby GT came out. Other than a S/C, it has every other mod I would have done to it alreadyinstalled and did I say it looks..................AWESOME?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueshawk

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

I think what the original post was about, was summed up by Car and Driver:

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...shelby-gt.html

"The best Mustang? Perhaps. But paying $10,530 more than for a stock Mustang GT seems all wrong for $2700 worth of bolt-on parts."

"Potential buyers should know that the Shelby GT is more expensive than an Audi TT or Nissan 350Z and that all the upgrades (not including the stripes and hood scoop, which we don’t necessarily consider upgrades, anyway) are available from Ford Racing Performance Parts for a total of $2656."

I hear you and I was really on the fence about getting a 350Z or the Shelby GT. But when I saw and drove the Shelby, I just lost all interest in the 350Z. In my opinion, the looks, sound and the Shelby panache just sold me. No regrets. In fact, each time getting in or out of this car, I look atit and shake my head and mutter to myself........................AWESOME!

I had a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 and this Shelby would smoke it. 0-60mph or in the 1/4 mile it wouldn't even be a race. So the point is........ a 319 hp EFI engine with 330 lb-ft torque, 3:55 gears, a good suspensionand a good sounding muffler system satisfies my 32 year surpression of muscle car desires. And did I say the car just looks.............AWESOME!

+2