MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Filling the tank can be annoying (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/273410-filling-the-tank-can-be-annoying.html)

wthalliii 04-12-2007 12:35 PM

Filling the tank can be annoying

This problem with filling the tank on our Mustangs sure can be annoying. I mostly don't have a problem, and usually when I get a sensitive nozzle, I can turn it upside down and fill the tank with no problems. I have to run it a little slower sometimes, though. Last night, I needed to stop by the ATM at the gas station. I had about half a tank, but I decided to fill up since I was already there. Well, the pump clicked off after about 8 gallons, but then habit kicked in. Forgetting that I had started out with half a tank, I turned the pump nozzle upside down and then slowly put in more gas. After about a gallon more, it suddenly overflowed. Crap! Gas all down the side of the car! Annoying... I did hose it down when I got home. I don't think gas will hurt the paint, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I guess this sort of thing just adds a little extra "character" to a great car, LOL.

Scotty07 04-12-2007 12:42 PM

RE: Filling the tank can be annoying

ORIGINAL: wthalliii
Crap! Gas all down the side of the car! Annoying... I did hose it down when I got home. I don't think gas will hurt the paint, but I wasn't taking any chances.

I always keep a micro-fiber and bottle of spray detailer in my car just for these type of emergencies....

wthalliii 04-12-2007 12:54 PM

That's a good idea. I also read somewhere that baby wipes are convenient for small cleanups like this, too. They're also good for cleaning your hands if you have to change a tire or something on the road. I've been meaning to get some into my trunk, but haven't done it yet.

brandon97 04-12-2007 01:12 PM

My father-in-law has trouble with his 05 stang and getting gas. He says the auto control at the pump continually turns off every 10secs....he has to stand there holding the nozzle to keep the gas flowing. I don't have this trouble with my 06. I keep the bottle to detail spray in the trunk as well.

tedBalog 04-12-2007 01:28 PM

ORIGINAL: brandon97

My father-in-law has trouble with his 05 stang and getting gas. He says the auto control at the pump continually turns off every 10secs....he has to stand there holding the nozzle to keep the gas flowing. I don't have this trouble with my 06. I keep the bottle to detail spray in the trunk as well.
You mean.... He actually has to stand there while pumping his fuel?!! How absurd!!

The dealership "fixed" my nozzle issue, but now it just overflows when full. I can never fill up now..

wthalliii 04-12-2007 01:54 PM

What do you do? Estimate the number of gallons to put in? That sux.

Stkjock 04-12-2007 01:55 PM

There was a Ford TSB on this issue for the 05's and early 06's.... the dealer (if I remember) has a fix for it.....

use the search on the forum... I know it's been covered....

VerginaStang 04-12-2007 02:18 PM

It depends on the nozzle. I have trouble at some gas stations, and no trouble at others. It really pisses me off, but once you know which ones give trouble its not that big a deal if you fill up locally.

Jays Mustang 04-12-2007 02:27 PM

I push & hold the nozzle straight in, then works like a champ. Once you get the hang of it no problems.

tedBalog 04-12-2007 03:22 PM

I normally put 8-10 gallons in, @ 1/4 tank. Haven't accidentally overfilled it yet.