Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel
I'm thinking that if I have a leak, I will drill some drain holes in the floor while I wait for them to figure it out, if Ican't stop it from coming in, at least I can make it easy to get back out....
Dude, don't do that! You'll just make it easy for them to deny the warranty work because your altered the car. Even if they do the work, if they can't fix it they'll just blame it on your newly created hole (man, that doesn't sound right).
Old 04-13-2007, 11:18 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Alrighty then, I painstakingly found all my posts in here where I painstakingly quoted my dealership service quotes from each of my 4 visits and have gathered them here in one bunch.

Oh…. Any thing at all on the TSB bascho??? [&:]

I have driven in numerous rains and wet conditions since the 4th leak fix visit and no leak so far. I even think one or more of the previous visits slowed down some water entry making it seem that I had 3 or maybe all 4 entry points letting in water. I believe my leak is fixed now, but I still need a very heavy downpour to drive in for a while to be truly satisfied. Dealing with this issue will leave a person very wary and skeptical. But I still dig the car!

My dealership service receipt quotes:

Visit 1

WIRING HARNESS BOOT MISALLIGNED AT BULK HEAD ALLOWING WATER INTRUSION UNDER HEAVY RAIN RE-SEAT BOOT DRY FLOOR AND CARPETING AND RETEST OK

Visit 2

A QCP C/S WATER LEAKING FROM RIGHT FRONT UNDER DASH
CAUSE: 14498 77 WATER TEST VEHICLE NECESSARY TO REPLACE PASS FRT DOOR OPENING WEATHERSTRIP (20708) FOR COLLAP SED SEAL AT MIRROR MOUNTING MOUNTING LOCATION

20708A WEATHERSTRIP - FRONT DOOR OPENING - REPLACE
69000A DOOR AND WINDOW - WIND NOISE/WATER LEAKS - DIAGNOSIS
1 4R3Z*6320708*AA WEATHERSTRIP ASY - DOOR OPENIN

14498 77 WATER TEST VEHICLE NECESSARY TO REPLACE PASS FRT DOOR OPENING WEATHERSTRIP (20708) FOR COLLAP SED SEAL AT MIRROR MOUNTING LOCATION R AND RT FRT DOOR TRIM PANEL TO ACCESS ADJUST DOOR GLASS UP FOR MISALLIGNMENT DRY CARPETING AND RETEST NO FURTHER LEAKS FOUND AT PASS KICKPANEL AREA AT THIS TIME

Visit 3

(In this case, I did not post the quote from the service receipt, but rather my best recollection of what my service rep explained to me)

“My service advisor stated the following (but I did not take notes and am still fuzzy on the details):
She had 3 techs focus on the issue. They tried water soaking methods other than their usual pressure test. In this case, it revealed what they all 3 agreed upon as the real source of the water. It actually is coming from the door because of a "weathersheet" that needed to be secured (not sure if that meant it was loose, misalligned or completely un-secured). The door was filling up with water instead of draining out properly. Once it reached capacity, it spilled over (I'm assuming through the door hinge opening) and voila... wound up inside behind the kick panel and onto the carpet. Now that the "weathersheet" has been secured, all 3 techs felt fully confident that the issue will no longer occur since water will now be correctly diverted from within thedoor as it is supposed to be.â€

Visit 4

16128 WATER LEAK RIGHT FRT FLOOR BOARD GETTING WET WATER LEAK TEST FOUND RIGHT FRT FLOOR BOARD SOAKED. WATER COMING IN FROM RIGHT FRT COWL PANEL PINCH WELD. R&R CENTER CONSOLE ASSEMBLY REMOVE DASH ASSEMBLY TO ACCESS COWL PANEL. RESEAL COWL PANEL. REMOVE RIGHT OUTSIDE COWL PANEL AND INSPECT RETAINING CLIPS FOR LIFTING UP. KNOWN FOUND LIFTING UP. DID RESEAL RIGHT SIDE BODY SEAM AND REMOVE ALL RETAINER CLIPS APPLY SEALER TO BACK SIDE AND REINSTALL INTO COWL PANEL SHEETMETAL REASSEMBLY DASH AND RETEST FOR LEAK NO LEAK FOUND AT THIS TIME. REMOVE WET CARPET DRY CARPET AND FLOOR BOARD INSTALL NEW JUTE PADDING REINSTALL CARPET REINSTALL CARPET REINSTALL CENTER CONSOLE OK AFTER REPAIR. M-TIME FOR JUTE WORK BODY

Ta dah! [8D]

And once I do have that super, heavy duty rain to drive a good deal in as a sort of "put it to rest test"..... I'll let y'all know. But for now, I am almost convinced that it actually won't leak anymore.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jackies Stang

Free Jay, Sorry to hear that they have not fixed your leak problem yet. From what you have said so far, is that "They" fixed the problem...just curious if you physically saw the work that was done or did you just assume they fixed the problem.... I was at that dealership at least twice a day checking up on the status and asking them exactly what they did to fix the problem. The only other place water could enter the cabin is the cowl attachment fittings where the cowl attaches to the window frame..... there are about 8 of them running along the frame. I noticed they siliconed all of them before they put the cowl's back on....both driver and passenger side fittings. I also noticed that they put a crap load of seam sealant across the whole firewall seam, not just the passenger side. Perhaps " They " just assumed that they will fix the passenger side and be done with it! Hope Your 4th time is a charm. Good Luck!
Jackies Stang,

I have an appointment set for their water leak guy to have another go at it. Before I could insist that I be allowed in the garage this time, the service writer asked if I could stick around to describe the leak(s) to the tech.

I plan on making sure that I physically see any repair they perform, and to make sure that they check all of the known leak areas. I also have a copy of one of your posts, and celenztah's post with his repair work.

I will keep everyone posted.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 AM
twokidsnosleep

Wow, sorry you are having so much trouble getting it fixed. Mine went to two different dealers and seems ok now...but they beat the heck out of the car getting the carpet out and scratched paint.Mine was diagnosedwith all the same grommets and cowl areas mentioned above. I hope it is fixed but I did notice the passenger door sill seemed a bit damp the other day.
Where is the passenger door leaking source????
Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

Took mine in last week, the invoice said they sealed an open seam between the firewall and passenger side kick panel....taking it through the car wash today and crossing my fingers....
Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Ken M
1st Gear Member

Reading the post from Celentzah... I'd be worried after removing the center console and the dash that it might rattle. Maybe a rattling car is better than a leaking car.
I've been checking mine after rain and washing, and found no leak until this weekend after washing there was a few drops of water behind the kick panel near the floor.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

Mine appears to be fixed...went throught the touchless wash w/high pressure undercairage wash and no water (had the carpet pulled back watching it lol)
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

All you guys/gals that think they've got a fix (and I really hope you do have it fixed) should really make sure that your carpetting is no longer getting wet from both sitting in a rainstorm AS WELL AS driving around AFTER a rainstorm.

6 times to the dealership, resealed windshield twice, cowl resealed, grommets resealed, drained unclogged, new carpetting, the last windshield reseal seems to have stopped the water from coming in while the car is sitting in the lot getting rained on, but in less than 3 miles of driving in/after a rainstorm with moderate puddles, etc, the foam underneath the carpet is once again....wet....

BBB Lemon Law Arbitration time for me [&:]
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
bluest@ng
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HypromanGT

All you guys/gals that think they've got a fix (and I really hope you do have it fixed) should really make sure that your carpetting is no longer getting wet from both sitting in a rainstorm AS WELL AS driving around AFTER a rainstorm.

6 times to the dealership, resealed windshield twice, cowl resealed, grommets resealed, drained unclogged, new carpetting, the last windshield reseal seems to have stopped the water from coming in while the car is sitting in the lot getting rained on, but in less than 3 miles of driving in/after a rainstorm with moderate puddles, etc, the foam underneath the carpet is once again....wet....

BBB Lemon Law Arbitration time for me [&:]
amen.
[sm=rant.gif]it sounds like I'm right behind you guys with this one. I just bought a brand new 2008 V6 mustang. last weekend it rained and I found a leak on my driver and passenger side floor. the carpet was soaking wet. the car only had 5 miles on it when I bought it in December, now it has 412 miles, kinda early for me to take 'er to get service done on her but whatever. I haven't even got to pay my first payment yet. quite frankly I'm disgusted.
reason I bought a new car in the first place was because of a water leak. had a 95 grand am GT that I took to several places and even tried to fix myself. to no avail, a puddle of water in the driver side floor is what I'd wake up to on my way to work the next morning after a hard rain. 2 years of that and I was done. got me a new car, start out fresh ya know?
pffft... so much for that. thanks ford. I took my mustang to the dealership and they said they'd need to order some weatherstripping... and they'd call me when they got the parts in. (either late this week or early next week). what pissed me off is my carpet was still soaking wet when I picked it up from the dealership. They didn't bother to shop vac it or anything, just let it sit there and ruin the car more. I also asked the service manager if there was a tsb out on the car and he said no. kinda funny I ended up looking it up online and found a tsb out for 2005-2008 mustangs for water leaks on floor.HMMMM... I love when people lie right to my face. They better fix my leak and replace my dead rat/spoiled milk smelling carpet!

and for all of you that have been to the dealer numerous times, try this link here. http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/
time to start new!

p.s. I'm gonna print some posts off of here and make sure the dealer tries everything on here.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:11 AM
kcstangin

Any update guys?

Quick Reply: Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?