Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Default Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?

Okay, at the risk of being flamed off of MF, heres a question for anyone with the water leak issue: Did your dealer fix the leak, and if so, what was done to fix it?

I am now preparing to take mine in for the fourth time.

First time: cleared blocked cowl drain, silicone seal for the infamous firewall grommet.

Second time: Reset passenger window, said was not setting properly in weatherstripping.

Third time:Finally pulled front quarter and filled seam between windshield frame and firewall.

I thought that the third time fixed it (see post: https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2981812) since it rained some after that and the car was dry, but a steady rain last night left the passenger side floor wet once again.

The pad is only wet at the bottom of the A pillar, and like every time before, there is moisture on the back side of the passenger side kick plate.

My car is less that 1 year old with only 5900 miles on it. I intended to keep it for a long time, now I'm not so surethat it will last that long with moisture in between welds and inside the passenger compartment. Another winter of freeze-thaw cycles will just continue to push everything apart.

Let's hear what everyone else's dealers have done (or not done).

Old 04-13-2007, 12:18 AM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?

Took mine in two weeks ago for a leak and they sealed the seam under the windshield and sprayed some black sealent stuff on the firewall.So far so good.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

C'mon, only ONE guy has gotten the leak fixed? (BTW thanks maniacmikey)

Maybe it is only one car fixed and the rest of us are too busy bailing out our cars/bathtubs.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

I just bought my 07 Gt 3 weeks ago. It rained hard 2 days ago, the day after I went and found water in both of my door sills..mostly on the passenger side. Should I take it to the dealer?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

Absolutely!

What folks have found so far are basically 4 entry points:

1) The seam between the windshield frame and the firewall
2) The lower passenger side window seal
3) The rubber grommet behind the passenger side wheel well cover that goes thru the firewall
4) The upper window weatherstripping.

When mine started, I actually could hear water sloshing around behind the dash whenever I went around a turn. Now it seems to be limited to some combination of 1,2,and 3 and only on the passenger side.

A TSB for this is supposedly in the works, but in the meantime, there is data on the Oasis system available to Ford techs about the leak.

Keep us posted how it turns out.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM
adnlyn

subscribing
Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Here's a great pic (courtesy of wmtheflash) of the
factory sjb protection device (white foam strip).

The glove box is removed and you are looking at the top
of the sjb area.

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/04E2EC205AE54A1EB82D62D391C09E46.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

Had my passenger door fixed after leaking onto the sill after heavy rain. Not sure exactly what they did, butthey fixed it
Old 04-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Free Jay, Sorry to hear that they have not fixed your leak problem yet. From what you have said so far, is that "They" fixed the problem...just curious if you physically saw the work that was done or did you just assume they fixed the problem.... I was at that dealership at least twice a day checking up on the status and asking them exactly what they did to fix the problem. The only other place water could enter the cabin is the cowl attachment fittings where the cowl attaches to the window frame..... there are about 8 of them running along the frame. I noticed they siliconed all of them before they put the cowl's back on....both driver and passenger side fittings. I also noticed that they put a crap load of seam sealant across the whole firewall seam, not just the passenger side. Perhaps " They " just assumed that they will fix the passenger side and be done with it! Hope Your 4th time is a charm. Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Damn! FOUR possible entry points!

I've been lucky so far, no leak, but I have a feeling all of that will be tested this weekend with a nor'easter, supposed to get 4-6" of rain in a day or two.

I'm thinking that if I have a leak, I will drill some drain holes in the floor while I wait for them to figure it out, if Ican't stop it from coming in, at least I can make it easy to get back out....

Quick Reply: Water Leak Issues: Dealership fixes?