Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Virginia Laws

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:14 AM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

Default Interesting Virginia Laws

I found these laws while searching for an answer to another thread and thought I would share.

Nitrous- illegal to operate a vehicle on the roads with an operation nitrous oxide system installed on the vehicle.

Hood Scoops - illegal if the hood scoop is taller than 1 1/8 from the bottom of the windshield, according to this the stock scoop I have may not be legal

Mufflers - Straightpipes, removing baffles, or knocking holes in them is illegal. Also any muffler that could be considered louder thana stock factory exhaust system is illegal.

Racing - Get caught, License suspended for at least 6 monthsup to2 years. Also fined with reckless driving. Possible loss of vehicle
Injure or kill someone while racing-- Felony - minimum 1 year in prison up to 20 years
Any organized street racing can lead to losing your car, any one facilitating the racing event can be charged also.

Tinting - 35% percent rear, 50% front windows, no tint on the windshield except where the factory strip is located at the top.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Interesting Virginia Laws

glad I dont live in VA!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:35 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Yeah they certainly make it difficult for us here in the Commonwealth. I don't know where you're at, but here in NOVA I'm not too fond of the property tax or the emissions test every two years either.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

how come slp loudmouths say they are 50 state legal when you can tell that they are deffinantly not???

glad i live in nc...if im not mistaken in nc basically if you have cats on your car your safe

where did you find this???
Old 04-13-2007, 12:53 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Those may be county laws, state laws tend to be more leniant
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 AM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget the facist speeding laws. I found out the hard way. Anything over 20mph over the speed limit is reckless and (my personal favorite) anything over 80mph (even in a 65 zone) is reckless as well.

Don't forget they are one of the last 2 places in America where radar detectors are illegal. I don't know how accurate this is, but my buddy was pulled over with his detector sitting in the cupholder, the cord and bracket were in the center console: the state trooper told him that it was still illegal. According to this particular state trooper if it is accessible in the cabin it is considered capable of being operated. His detector (at the time the top of the line Whistler) was confiscated and he never got it back.

That's why I'm a Florida resident now. I refuse to pay taxes to support that crap in VA.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:53 AM
Jito007
2nd Gear Member

shoot I live in Fairfax Co. its horrible cops are ***** here.. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE
Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

they're the same way in prince william county. i go to school in norfolk where there are hardly any cops, but as soon as i head home i see a million cops waiting to pull someone over[:@]
Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: armour845

I found these laws while searching for an answer to another thread and thought I would share.

Nitrous- illegal to operate a vehicle on the roads with an operation nitrous oxide system installed on the vehicle.

Hood Scoops - illegal if the hood scoop is taller than 1 1/8 from the bottom of the windshield, according to this the stock scoop I have may not be legal

Mufflers - Straight pipes, removing baffles, or knocking holes in them is illegal. Also any muffler that could be considered louder than a stock factory exhaust system is illegal.

Racing - Get caught, License suspended for at least 6 months up to 2 years. Also fined with reckless driving. Possible loss of vehicle
Injure or kill someone while racing-- Felony - minimum 1 year in prison up to 20 years
Any organized street racing can lead to losing your car, any one facilitating the racing event can be charged also.

Tinting - 35% percent rear, 50% front windows, no tint on the windshield except where the factory strip is located at the top.

Not that I like VA in any way but the tint law is 35% all round, nothing but factory on the windshield. I know because I have had to deal with it in the way of tickets a few times now.

As for the street racing that is correct but its judge and officers discretion, and because you can be hit with reckless you can spend a year in jail off the break for that alone.

The exhaust basically can be no louder than stock

Don't forget they are one of the last 2 places in America where radar detectors are illegal. I don't know how accurate this is, but my buddy was pulled over with his detector sitting in the cupholder, the cord and bracket were in the center console: the state trooper told him that it was still illegal. According to this particular state trooper if it is accessible in the cabin it is considered capable of being operated. His detector (at the time the top of the line Whistler) was confiscated and he never got it back.
I do not know if it is one of the last two places since last I checked they are illegal on all military installations, and I do not know what states in the north west do but as far as operations the trooper was on the money. It is considered to be in operation if it is within the "cabin" so you need to put it in the trunk or make sure he can't see it when he pulls you over. I have never had mine confiscated though they can do that.

This is similar to DUI and DWI laws in many states, if you are passed out in the back seat and the keys are "accessible" or "in the cabin" depends on the state then you are considered to be guilty. A friend of mine found this out the hard way.

As much as I like to bitch about the laws, and the fact that there is no such thing as innocent till proven guilty, the amazing double standard and so on, fact is its like that pretty much in all 50 states. VA Cops suck, but so do MD, AZ, NY, TX, NV, CA, GA, PA, NC, SC and FL I cannot personally speak for others but it seems to be a trend.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: armour845

Mufflers - Straightpipes, removing baffles, or knocking holes in them is illegal. Also any muffler that could be considered louder thana stock factory exhaust system is illegal.

Racing - Get caught, License suspended for at least 6 monthsup to2 years. Also fined with reckless driving. Possible loss of vehicle

I've lived in NOVA my whole life and now go to school in Norfolk, While their are a lot of cops in Fairfax its nothing compared the concentration in Norfolk.

Tinting- 35% front, 20% rear and side windows. I am postivie on this, the tinting place told me the legal STATE limit.

As for reckless driving which I have delt with a couple times, you can go to jail for up to a year and you will have a misdameanor on your record. ouch! Racing, they can confiscate your car as well as if you have reckless driving(judges discression)

Basically VA freaking sucks, can't wait to get the hell out.

About the radars on post, you shouldn't be speed on base. If you get caught speeding their I hope you have lube because you will get ****ed. DON'T SPEED ON POST!!!!! I'm a military brat and I know how crazy and gun-ho MP's can be.

Quick Reply: Interesting Virginia Laws