Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Questions..

Old 04-16-2007, 01:53 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Default Warranty Questions..

So my hood is corroding.. I took it to a Ford body shop and he told me he would replace the hood under warranty but not the stripes. My issue is, the dealership where the car was originally bought at put on the stripes. He tried to tell me that it wasn't a ford part. I looked deeper into it. I found a 6R3Z-6320000-AD. Ebony stripes for a coupe.

Should the stripes that the dealer put on (which I have the additional window sticker for) be replaced for a 2 year old defective hood? The car has 14k miles on it, garage kept for most of it's life.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 PM
roothog69
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Warranty Questions..

Hell yeah... Don't settle for less. If the stripes came with the car than they should also come with your new hood. It was a dealer installed item and most definitly should be covered under warranty. Time to talk to management, be respectful, show him your window sticker and the Ford part #. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Where is the hood rusting?? PICS?? What area do you live?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I thought our hoods were aluminum....and yes.. they put them on.. they should replace them..

ORIGINAL: tedBalog

So my hood is corroding.. I took it to a Ford body shop and he told me he would replace the hood under warranty but not the stripes. My issue is, the dealership where the car was originally bought at put on the stripes. He tried to tell me that it wasn't a ford part. I looked deeper into it. I found a 6R3Z-6320000-AD. Ebony stripes for a coupe.

Should the stripes that the dealer put on (which I have the additional window sticker for) be replaced for a 2 year old defective hood? The car has 14k miles on it, garage kept for most of it's life.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Under your normal warranty, Ford will pay for the hood and the labor to replace it. The dealer loses nothing and gets a little warranty work to boot. The stripes, on the other hand,are probably not going to be reimbursed by Ford because Ford didn't install them. The dealer should replace the stripes, but he will likely have to foot the bill himself.Of course, he doesn't want to since that's money out of his pocket, not Ford's.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

There are 2 spots on the front edge of the hood, where the paint is bubbling up (like rust), thats why I said it was corroding. I've put off taking it to get the hood replaced for several weeks becauseif it should get paid for, why should it come out of mypocket. I wish the original dealerships service department wasn't so ****ty.

I live in ohio, it hasn't seen much snow/salt. I'll try and get some pics later.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Sounds like water got between the stripe and the hood causing it to corrode. If they put it on, then chances are they didn't do a good job, so I think they should replace the stripe for free.
If it were me, I would opt to have a stripe painted on.....less chance of it corroding again.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Yea, well I don't care to throw $1k into stripes.. I think I can live with vinyl.. The dealership ripped the first owner off.. $995 for the stripes [&:]
Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I'm curious how many Mustang owners have noticed this problem?
I have run my fingers under the lip of the hood and felt an area just to the right of the center that felt kind of rough. Is this what you guys are referring to as a paintcontainment problem?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: tedBalog

Yea, well I don't care to throw $1k into stripes.. I think I can live with vinyl.. The dealership ripped the first owner off.. $995 for the stripes [&:]
So you are a second owner and the vehicle was purchased used?
I would bite the bullitt so to speak, no pun intended, and go back
to the place that sold it to you and make them honor the warranty
you got when you purchased. Also maybe see if there is a TSB and
present all the items, window sticker showning dealer installed, proof
of a Ford part # and ?the TSB?.
Next step would be Ford directly []

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952