Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by bm2088hp
So today I received my moleskin in the mail from TintProtector.com. In the instructions it is recommended to FIRST install the tints and THEN install the moleskin. Apparently tint shops use soaps and sprays to clean the windows before they install the tints and "Those chemicals could adversely affect the adhesive in the MoleSkin." Did you guys install the tints first and then the moleskin or the other way around? I was planning on installing the moleskin this weekend and then tinting the windows but if the chemicals will really damage the moleskin then I might just hold off on that. Thanks.
Follow the instructions as stated on the directions...thats what I did and no worries....and yes tint shops use soapy water and cleaners on the window before installing the tint and it gets everywhere including the tint protector and could hurt the adhesive......or it might not but why not just do it the way the directions say....no big deal anyway...save you 30 bucks too if you have to replace them
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

dam $30??? i think i got mine for like $8 bucks shipped :/
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rdot9
dam $30??? i think i got mine for like $8 bucks shipped :/
:\ After a $5 discount I paid $25... with $5 shipping extra it was $30 lol. Some of the other guys on here said it really works well so I took their word for it. Hopefully Ill get the windows tinted soon so we'll see
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rdot9
I wish my dad had listened to me when i told him about this..... but he never listens to me, he decided to listen to the tint guy who said he never had any problems with scratching. I had the moleskin and everything, but he wouldnt let me do the install myself, annnddd nowww scratchity scratch all over my tint... fml
Your dad wouldn't let you do work on your own car?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Nice write up. Just finished this mod after 20 minutes. I don't understand why you believed it was necessary to trim .6 lengthwise.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Just installed the moleskin. Was really simple and quick. The write up and videos were really helpful. I only removed the first 2 screws on the side as opposed the 3. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
flnsx

Just installed the Tint Protector moleskin. Was really simple and quick. The write up and videos were really helpful. I only removed the first 2 screws on the side as opposed the 3. Thanks a lot!
Sweet! Did you cut the felt or just use the full 1 inch width on the weather strip?

Also, the cheap moleskin other people bought doesn't have TP's acrylic adhesive. It falls off and leaves glue on the tint. They will end up having to replace it. You get what you pay for.

People think if it says moleskin then it must beTint Protectors moleskin. It isn't. Moleskin is a generic name.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flnsx
Sweet! Did you cut the felt or just use the full 1 inch width on the weather strip?

Also, the cheap moleskin other people bought doesn't have TP's acrylic adhesive. It falls off and leaves glue on the tint. They will end up having to replace it. You get what you pay for.

People think if it says moleskin then it must beTint Protectors moleskin. It isn't. Moleskin is a generic name.
I actually did cut it just a little bit. Installation was really easy. I have the tints for about a month now and no scratches. The link that you posted above, is the same place where I got my moleskin from. Highly recommended.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM
macman756
2nd Gear Member

Great write up Bill! What percentage tints did you go with? I'm hating Cali's tint laws, this sucks. Just had to scrape off my 30% visible from GA.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 PM
flnsx

I actually did cut it just a little bit. Installation was really easy. I have the tints for about a month now and no scratches. http://www.tintprotector.com/ford The link that you posted above, is the same place where I got my moleskin from. Highly recommended.
Great! Thanks for the update!

Quick Reply: Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids