Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote alarm sounder

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Remote alarm sounder

OK I locked myself in the car and took the key out of the ignition. Then I started moving around inside the car after about 30 seconds or so and the horn started honking. That was all, just the horn blaring. I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position and the horn stopped. Somehow this doesn't seem worth the extra $325 we paid for this feature. How is this better than the standard security system? I think I should have asked these questions before I ordered the car.

Oh well, I still love this car. And if I ever sell it (not likely) I can brag about the marvelous Active Anti-Theft System the car has.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:30 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I could be way wrong on this, but doesn't the active alarm also include a secondary horn, that is under the trunk somewhere?? Perhaps that is the "remote sounder" they refer to......

Mike
Old 04-17-2007, 07:49 PM
dotsonian
1st Gear Member

You may have to let the alarm keep going until it stops on its own. Just like you where not there when it was activated. I believe the purpose is to let you know that your car was messed with when you did not know. If you stop it with the key or the remote you already knew the alarm had been set off. Why would it need to tell you again? If I get a chance to do this without bothering my neighbors, I'll try it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

This is from an article in autoworld outlining the anti-theft features on the '05 and '06 (Not sure what may have changed on the '07).

[ul][*]SecuriLockâ„¢ Passive Anti-Theft System[/ul]

Passive anti-theft systems like SecuriLock protect against drive-away theft through the use of an electronically coded ignition key. The vehicle starts and operates only if the electronic code in the ignition key matches the one programmed into the vehicle, thwarting attempts to hot-wire the ignition. A miniature transponder with an integrated circuit and antenna is imbedded in the ignition key. A wireless radio-frequency transmission transfers an electronic code between the transponder in the key and the vehicle. If the codes match, a signal passes through the wiring system to the electronic engine control, allowing the vehicle to start.
[ul][*]Keeping Mustang Where It Belongs[/ul]
Mustang has an optional, active anti-theft package aimed at combating high performance-car insurance premiums. The package includes:
[ul][*]Separate Alarm Sounder[/ul]

Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.

[ul][*]Anti-Tow Sensor[/ul]

To guard against the growing criminal trend of tow-away theft, an inclination-sensing module records the vehicle’s angle of inclination when the anti-theft system is armed. If the sensor detects a change in vehicle inclination, it sends a signal to the alarm system, which triggers a separate alarm sounder and flashes the car's lights to guard against tow-away thefts. This sensor also can detect whether one corner or side of the vehicle has been jacked up, to guard against theft of wheels and tires.

[ul][*]Ultrasonic Interior Motion Sensor [/ul]

To detect "smash-and-grab" break-ins, an ultrasonic interior-motion sensor determines if glass has been broken or someone has placed a hand or other object inside the car. If an intrusion is detected, the alarm sounder is activated and the exterior lights flash to frighten would-be thieves.

[ul][*]Perimeter Anti-Theft Protection[/ul]

Perimeter anti-theft sensors also detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed. If the vehicle is parked and the window rolled down, for example, the alarm is sounded if a would-be-thief tries to open the door to gain access to the car.

[ul][*]High-Capacity Battery[/ul]

A 60-ampere-hour battery is capable of sounding the alarm longer. This more powerful battery lends an extra measure of authority to the active anti-theft system and helps prevent battery run-down from use of Mustang's powerful audio system while the engine is off.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

[ul][*]Separate Alarm Sounder[/ul]

Car thieves often begin by disabling the vehicle’s horn to disarm the alarm system. So Mustang employs a separate, remotely located alarm sounder that makes it harder for thieves to disable the system and make off with the car or its contents.
That's interesting. My alarm blows the horn.