Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 11:28 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

ORIGINAL: celenztah

One question Taco, any advice on old oil disposal? I live in a suburban neighborhood with trash pickup and they even do recyclables, etc. I suppose I could call them, but I thought I'd ask for your tip on that one too.
+1 .. I saw that you live in Torrance. I live in LA.. Any good places that you know of to drop off the old oil?

and as always, fantastic write up.. you rock bro.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...

Just go to the nearest gas station and ask them. You know those circular bumps in gas station parking lots? One of those is for oil disposal. Just make sure to ask them while mechanics are in the garage. If you ask Derka Derka at midnight he is going to be clueless.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

One question Taco, any advice on old oil disposal? I live in a suburban neighborhood with trash pickup and they even do recyclables, etc. I suppose I could call them, but I thought I'd ask for your tip on that one too.
In my area, used oil canbe dropped off at most large auto parts stores. Advance and Pep Boys is where I usually drop mine off. I like to drop off my old oil when I buy the new oil so that they can realize the continued benefit of allowing customers to recycle at their store. Just call around to your local parts stores and see who will take it.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

The recycling in my area is exactly why I take the car in to have the oil changed. My town has said it's a big no-no to do your own oil changes, because it is considered "hazardous waste". So, I can't do an oil change in my driveway anymore, and I certainly cannot do it on the street. Also, the "recycling center" here in town charges to recycle oil! I've tried to take it to the local CSK, AutoZone, and PepBoys stores for recycling, but they all say that I can only bring in 2 gallons at a time.So, I basically either get charged twice, or I have to find a way to transfer the oil in to 2 1 gallon milk jugs, thus causing more of a chance of spill and "hazardous waste", or I can pay someone to change the oil for me, for about the same price that it would cost me to buy the oil and do it myself...Guess which option I choose?

Sorry, Bill, not bashing on your oil changing procedure...I think it's great, and if it weren't for local city politics being what they are, I'd be following your pictures and directions step by step. Definitely a help for the average newbie who doesn't know how to do a simple oil change. The only thing I'd include in your steps is that if you use a set of toothed pliers (i.e. channel locks or that clamp wrench like you used) that there is possibility of puncturing the metal on the filter itself and causing another leak and mess to clean up...But sometimes, that's what it takes to get that sucker off!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:33 AM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Yet another nice write up from TacoBill. I have already changed my oil once, at 1000 miles, and my filter came off with no problems. I am going to miss changing oil in my Ranger. (The Mustang is replacing the Ranger) I did a 4 inch suspension lift on it so when I changed oil I did not need to jack it up. The oil filter is perpendicular to the ground so I could fill it up with oil. fd
Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 AM
schmitty
1st Gear Member

great post, but are you sure you even needed a oil change?? it doesnt even look like that car has been driven. sooo clean under the hood.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Vince, as suggested by others, most all autoparts stores will take your used oil. For me, my local Autozone takes the oil at no charge. I have a 5 gallon drum that I use to store the used oil and once full, I take it in.

Also, I see that you have a 4.0. There are a few differences that you need to take note of..
The4.0 takes 5 quarts of 5W-30 (the GT's take 6 quarts of 5W-20).
The oil filter is located on the Passenger side.
Socket size of the oil drain plug is 13mm.

ORIGINAL: teksp0rt

+1 .. I saw that you live in Torrance. I live in LA.. Any good places that you know of to drop off the old oil?
Dennis, pretty much what I said above, I take it to Autozone (I'm sure other will accept it as well as some gas/service stations).

ORIGINAL: schmitty

great post, but are you sure you even needed a oil change?? it doesnt even look like that car has been driven. sooo clean under the hood.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Hey Jason, I have a whopping 1100 miles now! As you probably have guessed, it's not my daily.
I spoke to a Mobil 1 tech about an oil change schedule for me and was told to do it once a year. That being said, my next oil change will be coming up this December.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Don't care what anyone else says...keep them coming...great job.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

Vince, as suggested by others, most all autoparts stores will take your used oil. For me, my local Autozone takes the oil at no charge. I have a 5 gallon drum that I use to store the used oil and once full, I take it in.

Also, I see that you have a 4.0. There are a few differences that you need to take note of..
The4.0 takes 5 quarts of 5W-30 (the GT's take 6 quarts of 5W-20).
The oil filter is located on the Passenger side.
Socket size of the oil drain plug is 13mm.
Thanks Taco for the update on those 4.0 differences (the 5W-30 I was aware of - I bug my current mechanic each time to make sure that's what he puts in... lol).

And thanks all for the oil recycle suggestions. I live very close to Advance Auto Parts, Mechanic shops and gas stations. Transporting the oil would mean one more thing-a-muh-bob to buy (and awide funnel!), but still should be worth it.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:03 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

i have always wanted to know how to change oil and this actually worked well. i think if i took my laptop out and did everything step by step the way you said i can do it. but its nice taking my car in to the dealer and having them inspect everything else still.

Quick Reply: Oil Change: For those who want to do it themselves, but are a little unsure...