Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Fuel Pump Problems - This time its the fuse!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: More Fuel Pump Problems - This time its the fuse!!

I never thought of it being a fuse, since that has never happen to me. I assumed his pump was fine because he was no where near 450 rwhp.

Good to know! Always learn stuff from you!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:39 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

Running rich will have no bearing on your fuses. It's a fairly common thing on the BAP's with the 15 amp fuse. The BAP draws from the same fuse as the fuel pump and on occasion, they'll both draw at the same time and pop it. Almost always, a simple swap to a 20 amp is enough. And everyone with a BAP should keep a couple of the little buggers in the glovebox or center console. It's a tiny investment for a little part that could come in real handy.

S/C guys should learn how to change a belt and keep a spare belt in the trunk as standard procedure also. Another important mod for s/c guys is to also get the mezuire EH20 pump ESPECIALLY if you have a vortech or a paxton cause changing a belt on those babies is not as simple as a saleen or KB. You've got to remove the whole freakin' blower to change a belt so those guys for sure should have the Mezuire EH20 pump cause if you toss a belt, you'll still be able to drive the car home or to the shop.

Just the basics of being prepared guys.
Wait, Are you seriouos? You can drive the car without a belt if you have the electric water pump? Hmm....sounds good since I'm pretty sure I will NOT be able to remove my S/C and change the belt on the middle of the road. I don't even know the belt size.... [8D] guess I should look it up.

~Fred
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Curious, can I drive it a short distance without the belt and with no EH20? Just make sure it doesn't overheat and make it the mile or so to the closest car shop?

~Fred
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

That would be a big fat no and very bad to do. With the EH20 pump, your fine for driving without a belt and then the only issue is the alternator not charging the battery so you can't go too far before your battery goes dead but should be able to make it 50 miles in the day and 25 or so miles at night.

The EH20 pump is a must have mod IMO for any belt driven FI guys IMO.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06SaLeEn

I never thought of it being a fuse, since that has never happen to me. I assumed his pump was fine because he was no where near 450 rwhp.

Good to know! Always learn stuff from you!
I've seen guys blow the fuse with 380 rwhp. It really has nothing to do with the power and more to do with the bad luck of having them drawing at the same time. It is wise to replace the fuse with a 20 amp regardless of your power level. I have never heard of anyone having it happen after the 20 amp install. I did it once, but it was a seperate issue with my GT500 Dual pump wiring and having dual pumps and was a seperate issuse because I needed to switch to the 40 amp BAP for dual pumps.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

I checked and it looks like my shop puta 20amp fuse in there. So i guess i should good! LOL
Old 05-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: FredTT

Hey Guys,

Ok, so I'm driving along, about 20 mph, 93 degrees outside, coolant still leaking, and my car just comepletly gives out. Luckily, I have enough momentum to get me into a parking lot. I turn the key off and turn it back on again, and I don't hear the fuel pump prime....figures...

First thing that comes to mind is that the fuse blew. I get out and check the fuse, and sure enough, the 15Amp mini fuse is blown. Okay, so its no big deal, I put in another one, get in and start her up. She runs for 5-10 seconds, and it happens again. Fuse blew again. At this point, i'm getting frustrated.

I call my performance shop and ask them what I should do. Maybe the Boost-A-Pump is causing it to blow? My shop says they are worried the pump is going to give out, but I thing it was just a power surge. They said to try a 20Amp fuse. I put it in and turn the Boost-A-Pump from 50 to 30, and it worked and got me the 2 miles to my home. Everything seems to be running fine now. Fuel Pressure never dropped below 30 PSI (but then again, I didn't take it up above 50 mph).

I guess I want to know what your opinons are. Will the 20 Amp fuse cause any damage?? It hasn't been this hot since this install, maybe the heat had something to do with it? Was it the Boost-A-Pump that needs a bigger fuse? Maybe my second battery caused an overload? Maybe Coolant/Water from the leak got on something it shouldn't have. I hate car problems....

~Fred
Higher amp fuse is not typically recommened as it does not actually address the problem. But, since you are using a Boost-a-pump, it makes sense. The whole idea behind the boost is that it actually increase the voltage to the fuel pump to increase the volume it puts out. Increased volatage, increases the heat the fuel pump creates which increases its amperage draw. So, if you start blowing 20's on a regular basis it may be time to get a new higher capacity fuel pump and dump the boost-a-pump set up.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:26 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Agreed but with his set-up I doubt he will have any issues. As I explained - it's just a BAP issue and not needed for those without the BAP.