Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

Old 04-18-2007, 11:55 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

When I saw the 'Love/Hate' reference I had to pop in on this one.
That's the same response I give to folks when asked how I feel about my car.
I love how it looks (for about 15 minutes after it's washed/waxed) but not much else.
Never owned another mustang prior to this one but I test drove many GTs and V6'ers in 2002/2003 when I was last in the market and yeah, even though most folks here would strongly disagree, my '06 just doesn't feel anywhere near as tight and responsive as the GTs I drove a few years ago (and like you, I also am an old fart who's not unaccustomed to performance vehicles andeven still has an occasional dream of my beloved '69 camaro I had when I was much younger).
But consider this - the S197 is an engineering masterpiece.
However, when it came to production it seems the accounting department had much more influence on the actual parts used.
I can almost guarantee that if you put some cash into your suspension (replacing the cheezy stamped-steel parts, bushings, springs, shocks), tires and a good tune (lotsa great advice here on that) you'll have your second honeymoon with the blonde bombshell and fall in love all over again.
Sadly, my anticipated mod budget went out the window not long after I got mine, so I sit in mainly stock trim, waiting (and planning).
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

Very interesting post!
FWIW I drove an 06 V6 with Pony Package right after driving an 03 GT vert and call me crazy, but the 03 Vert was SO much better over the bumps, average roads and on virtually any kind of road except a very smooth highway where both cars were good.
The vert was not much, if any, less in the handling department either although that might have a lot to do with the Goodyears on it.

Prior to that I had an 06 Vert rental from Hertz for a week and put almost 1k miles on it and I found it rode and handled very nice.
Now I am not one for squishy suspensions, at all, but I pushed the Hertz special pretty hard through the hills of Vermont and up to Canada and not once did I feel the ride was harsh or that the car didn't handle well.
THat car did NOT have the Pony Package which tightens up the suspension to quasi GT levels.

By contrast, 5 minutes in the Pony Package equipped car and even my wife was saying, this thing rides like it is on rocks!!

Now my 2003 GT vert has the typical cowl flex, yes that is true, but it handles very nice and when on less than smooth roads the ride is not punishing.
I intend to replace the subframes with aftermarkets and add a strut tower brace to firm it up a little bit more.

Bottom line is after owning vettes, Camaros as well as a couple of German cars, the Mustang is a different ball of wax and personally I think firm suspension can be taken a bit too far at times.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Never end the relationship! Do as much as you can with any warranty work that may be needed and go from there. If outside warranty already than having over 36,000 miles on a car that is a year old may explain why things are not to your satisfaction! Stay strong and move on but with your vert...I know that all this little stuff adds up and really should have been right before it ever left the line but these things happen and should be corrected. While all of MF is working on getting Ford to right what is obviously wrong than keep the car and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and that goes with anything in life. JMO and I hope you decide to keep her and your opinion changes for the better and not the worse!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

ORIGINAL: alumacomp

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

u bought a car with a rear live axle, what did u expect?
Reread my original post. I am not some punk who has never driven/owned a sports car (or Mustang) before.What did I expect?Maybe too much. To my 44 year old mind, the ride of my 95 GT convertible felt more comfortable and stable.
my appologies, i didnt mean to come off as a jerk.
Accepted.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I think this car handles very well overall in stock condition. Of course we all make modifications to improve various aspects of the vehicle based on our needs and type of driving we do. This car seems to love to get modded as much as I like to mod it. One thing I did notice that I didn't like was the stopping ability or I should say lack of it when stopping from speed on a washboard type road. Other than that I have no complaints. I mean look at us, when we're not driving them we're talking about them .....Is this normal??????
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 AM
PAINTEDPONY
1st Gear Member

I love my mustangs' rattles shakes and squeeks! it's such a small price to pay to be able to gotopless and own such a beautiful car.

05v6vert
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I think this car handles very well overall in stock condition. Of course we all make modifications to improve various aspects of the vehicle based on our needs and type of driving we do. This car seems to love to get modded as much as I like to mod it. One thing I did notice that I didn't like was the stopping ability or I should say lack of it when stopping from speed on a washboard type road. Other than that I have no complaints. I mean look at us, when we're not driving them we're talking about them .....Is this normal??????
Points well taken!!!!!
And that really says it all!!!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Do not listen to people who think that the Mustang is still made to go only in a straight line! The suspension is improved over past Stangs and while it is not nearly as good at handling as any front wheel drive car, nor any REAL sports car, like the Vette, it should not be doing what you're describing!

In fact, it sounded like a friend of mine's description of his Toyota Tacoma truck that ended up going to court as a lemon! You HIGHLY need to test drive similar convertible Mustangs!

There will be some suspension quirks, which come from that live rear axle, but if you have the right tires, air pressure and alignment then it is a lemon and you need to take it back ASAP!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:15 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Alumacomp: You and I have some similar car experience, and are the same age. I have been driving mustangs since 1983....including ownership of an '89LX convertible for almost 10 years.

I also have an '06 GT ragtop. But mine is MILES ahead of the Fox Body in terms of ride and handling. Certainly it's no Porsche, it's not comparable to my CTS-V, and it gives up a lot in terms of handling over the hardtop.

But it is a fine vehicle and the most superior mustang that I ever owned. Sorry you don't feel the same way.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alumacomp

Have you ever fallen for a beautiful woman only to find out she was of no substance? That is how I feel about my 06 GT convertible.

I have previously owned three Mustangs including an 85 GT and 95 GT vert. When I saw and read about the S197 I just knew I had to have one. After a lot of research I eventually purchased a screaming yellow 06 GT vert with a 5 speed manual. Call me foolish, but I never even test drove one before the purchase.Based on magazine reviews and other information that raved about the solidity and stiffness of the new frame, I anticipated that my new convertible would be a rock and even better than the 95 I owned for five years.The car was a surprise 10th anniversary gift for my wife and I was excited as I awaited delivery. I ordered a CAI and tune, sequential taillights, plenum cover, and hood scoop.The car came in June 06 and I installed these mods as well as others. I enjoyed getting my hands dirty and was ready to love this car.

Ten months later the car has just 1500 kilometers on it. Why you might ask? Because I do not enjoy driving it, in fact at times I find it down right scary. The car looks fantastic and I get a lot of compliments on it. It sounds great and goes like snot. However as soon as I drive over bumps, pavement surface breaks, or potholes it gets totally skittish. Irregularities in the road surface cause the whole car to shudder. Most of the time my rear view mirror vibrates like crazy sex toy. Driving over rough payment at highway speeds or when entering/exiting on a sweeping turn can cause the rear end to skitter sideways…..YIKES! In an effort to quell the looseness I purchased and installed a Strange Development strut bar, but to no avail.I have repeatedly checked tire pressures and they are bang on.

So my eye candy sits in the garage. Other forum members extol the solidity and stiffness of their S197 convertibles, but I just don’t get it.My 95 vert was a far better ride. This is certainly not the first sports car I have owned/driven so I know what it is like to have a sports-tuned suspension.However my car does not feel “planted” to the road, in fact it is quite the opposite.I wonder if there is something wrong with my car….perhaps a factory defect? If this is what the new more solid and stiff frame produces then count me out.

Sorry for the long post, but my beautiful blonde has all the looks and none of the moves. I don’t want to have to “divorce” her.Do other members have similar concerns or problems with their GT convertible? Any ideas or suggestions? Input wanted…

Are you testing your writing skills? Man please give it a break. Mustang enthusiast could care less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?