Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:44 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Default My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

Have you ever fallen for a beautiful woman only to find out she was of no substance? That is how I feel about my 06 GT convertible.

I have previously owned three Mustangs including an 85 GT and 95 GT vert. When I saw and read about the S197 I just knew I had to have one. After a lot of research I eventually purchased a screaming yellow 06 GT vert with a 5 speed manual. Call me foolish, but I never even test drove one before the purchase.Based on magazine reviews and other information that raved about the solidity and stiffness of the new frame, I anticipated that my new convertible would be a rock and even better than the 95 I owned for five years.The car was a surprise 10th anniversary gift for my wife and I was excited as I awaited delivery. I ordered a CAI and tune, sequential taillights, plenum cover, and hood scoop.The car came in June 06 and I installed these mods as well as others. I enjoyed getting my hands dirty and was ready to love this car.

Ten months later the car has just 1500 kilometers on it. Why you might ask? Because I do not enjoy driving it, in fact at times I find it down right scary. The car looks fantastic and I get a lot of compliments on it. It sounds great and goes like snot. However as soon as I drive over bumps, pavement surface breaks, or potholes it gets totally skittish. Irregularities in the road surface cause the whole car to shudder. Most of the time my rear view mirror vibrates like crazy sex toy. Driving over rough payment at highway speeds or when entering/exiting on a sweeping turn can cause the rear end to skitter sideways…..YIKES! In an effort to quell the looseness I purchased and installed a Strange Development strut bar, but to no avail.I have repeatedly checked tire pressures and they are bang on.

So my eye candy sits in the garage. Other forum members extol the solidity and stiffness of their S197 convertibles, but I just don’t get it.My 95 vert was a far better ride. This is certainly not the first sports car I have owned/driven so I know what it is like to have a sports-tuned suspension.However my car does not feel “planted” to the road, in fact it is quite the opposite.I wonder if there is something wrong with my car….perhaps a factory defect? If this is what the new more solid and stiff frame produces then count me out.

Sorry for the long post, but my beautiful blonde has all the looks and none of the moves. I don’t want to have to “divorce” her.Do other members have similar concerns or problems with their GT convertible? Any ideas or suggestions? Input wanted…
Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

...and your point is????

MY '06 GT (coupe) does the same thing, its "personality"! Wow, how bad can it be? I get bump steer when going over imperfections, but its not that bad....then again I never drove an S197 'vert. No offense, but I never got the whole convertible thing, any coupe of any car is much "stiffer", IMO

But then again, where I drive doesn't have a majority of crappy pavement.(and I'm in NJ!) Hey it happens, but not often, and I knew when I bought it that this kind of car isn't known for great handling when its stock anyway.

Sounds like a Vette is in your future then!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

HMMM... I have an 06 w/ 3100 miles on it... I do have rattles and squeks but I would not consider it as bad as you describe. Certainly IMO nothing like your describing and the car in now blown....

sorry to hear of your troubles
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Same here...

My 05 Vert has 18k on her now... She is my toy, so when I do drive her, I drive her hard. She demonstrates WAY LESS Cowl Shake then my Corvette did with the roof panel removed. Here suspension is TIGHT, so she is going to Vib a little over rapid bumps - the tighter the suspension the more your going to feel the bumps.

I'm sorry - maybe you got a lemon, I love my GTVert! It meets or exceeds my every expectation.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, it is a bit squirrely on rough pavement. No, it doesn't corner particularly well. But...this is an American Muscle Car, not a "sports car", or a roadster. Everything you say about it was spot on characteristics of most of the original "muscle cars" from the 60s and 70s. That's what this car is. Flat out power in a straight line. I think if you set your expectations above what this car is then you will be disappointed. I bought it for the looks, the "mod ability", the sound, the power, and the retro characteristics. I love mine!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yours does sound unusually "skittish". I don't find mine to be bad at all. If you think it's a defect, I suggest you test drive another at a local dealer and see.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

I would go test drive 2 new verts to rule out yours being defective.

I get some cowl shake, but hey its a vert man, its, not that bad.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

maybe it's the super tight suspension you're not used to...actually makes the car handle better. keep in mind we DO have a solid rear axle...

test drive another GT and compare...that is your best bet.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like a suspension problem I'd say. Did you ever have it checked or does it have the thunking problem? That makes a suspension bounce. Could be a nice set of new quality brand struts/shocks could get it right. Call Saleen/Bilstein/Koni etc. and explain your condition and get their opinions. When you park a car and don't want to drive it, That's Bad!
But there's nothing wrong with getting something else if that's what you want. Just the next time do a long test drive on back roads to highway at alot ofdifferentspeeds to learn how it sounds & feels.
I ordered my car and have the thunking problem driving out of the parking lot so I know how you feel. Believe me I'll never order a car again. I want a 15 mile test drive before I ever buy anything again. Well anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

Yep I will have to check out another vert at the dealer. I just wanted to tap into the wealth and knowledge offorum members first. Keep in mind all I have for comparison purposes wasmy 95 vert....which I loved.Perhaps it is just a matter of that stiffer frame and I should put up and shut up.

Quick Reply: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?