Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N AirCharger CAI Install (w/pics & vid)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:26 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: K&N AirCharger CAI Install (w/pics & vid)

Done this one already but great write up!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

tacobill = the man. you've got great write ups. i'm going to use this guide as a semi reference.i know the install is going to be a little different.i've gotjlt truecai+xcal2 coming in for my sixer.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Nice write up!!!!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hey Bill - hopefully you see this post and can reply even though its 6 months after your CAI install. I notice in the photos that you elected to replace the stock crankcase breather hose (the one with thegreen PCV valve) with a piece of rubber tubing, thereby eliminating the PCV. I know the PCV valve is one way, allowing gases to flow from the crankcase to the intake but not the other way. I was under the impression this is important, so that you don't get air flowing the wrong way if there is ever a higher air pressure in the intake vs. the crankcase. But in a normally aspirated engine that is probably not a big concern. At any rate, why do the replacement? What effect does it have on say the yearly emissions test (required where I live in PA)? I suppose I would just put the stock unit back on for the test then remove it again. Do you or anyone forsee any problems doing this? Thanks.

UPDATE: my bad, now that I have pulled that stock crankcase breather hose off and examined it, I can see that it is bi-directional. What I thought was a PCV valve (the little green valves in your photos) turns out not to be, its just a 90 degree elbow. The reason I asked this question was, after installing a BBK CAI system, the stock breather hose would no longer reach and BBK didn't provide a replacement in their kit. A quick trip to Pep Boys solved the problem.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

PM him, its a better chance of him seeing this. This will be far down the list very fast.

As I type this he is lurking in this forum to answer, TACO you never disappoint....lol

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Hey Bill - hopefully you see this post and can reply even though its 6 months after your CAI install. I notice in the photos that you elected to replace the stock crankcase breather hose (the one with thegreen PCV valve) with a piece of rubber tubing, thereby eliminating the PCV. I know the PCV valve is one way, allowing gases to flow from the crankcase to the intake but not the other way. I was under the impression this is important, so that you don't get air flowing the wrong way if there is ever a higher air pressure in the intake vs. the crankcase. But in a normally aspirated engine that is probably not a big concern. At any rate, why do the replacement? What effect does it have on say the yearly emissions test (required where I live in PA)? I suppose I would just put the stock unit back on for the test then remove it again. Do you or anyone forsee any problems doing this? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

(I get an e/m on all new posts [8D])

The black hose was part of the K&N kit. As far as what effects it has being bi-directional (ie. valveless), I don't know. However, my buddy with this same K&N CAI passed emmisions here in CA.

I've sinced swapped out the K&N in favor of the C&L Racer. This CAI also comes with an open hose.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

+10000000 for this post just what i needed
Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

+10000000 for this post just what i needed
Just a reminder to all 07+ owners, look into that support bracket that attaches to the camcover to be sure you have the correct one. The bracket for the 05/06 will not fit the current camcover bolt pattern.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Jeremy.S

props to you, me being a newb to modifying my vehicle, these help me out alot. thank you and keep up the good work.