Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unhappy with vinyl stripes...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:48 PM
dmtGT05
1st Gear Member

Default unhappy with vinyl stripes...

My silver stripes seems to be disoloring in certain areas.. esp on the hood... possibly from engine heat? Its hard to describe but it looks like silver is gettin "dull" in spots.

Im not sure if they were put on by ford or the previous owner but the quality isnt there.. not happy with the look at all...

anyone have experience with this?.. solutions?

also.. does anyone have experience with removing the vinyl stripes.. how difficult a job is it... and hows the cars finish afterward?

thanks for any advice

[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: unhappy with vinyl stripes...

I have had no problems with my vinyl stripes, however they are only 5 months old. As for removing them, a hair dryer will help heat them up slightly making it easier to remove. Depending how long they have been installed and your location will determine the cars finish beneath the stripes. It should be fine.
I know there is vinyl restorer available, not sure if it will help but could be worth a try.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Someone else had a problem with discoloring on stripes but the manufactor replaced them. I've seen stripes dull on a car in a lot before. I'm doing vinyl stripes myself but I know you have to take care of them. Clean, wax etc. I had them 6 years on my last Mustang and were fine.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:04 AM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

I have the MUSTANG side stripes and I have a piece on the front driver fender that just flaked off.
I am going to remove them. I would to wax her without trying to get the wax off the top edge of the stripes anyways.
They are coming off in the next few weeks. I never did like vinyl.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:15 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Shoot, I'm very sorry about your problems. IF you bought your car used, it will be hard to tell who put those "bogus" stripes on.
A BMS package, properly installed will give you YEARS of enjoyment/satisfaction, and ordered correctly, by size, will eliminate any and all concerns on your part[sm=signs003.gif][sm=signs003.gif]
Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Not a fan of vinyl either but that is personal opinion. Mine are painted and they are great but at much greater cost and labor. To remove just start at a corner and with heat from a hair dryer start pulling it away and there should be very little residue afterward. If you dont use heat you will make a mess. Rubbing alcohol for any adhesive afterward and then follow with a good clay bar, followed by a polish, and then a wax/sealant and you are as good as new!!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Someone else had a problem with discoloring on stripes but the manufactor replaced them. I've seen stripes dull on a car in a lot before. I'm doing vinyl stripes myself but I know you have to take care of them. Clean, wax etc. I had them 6 years on my last Mustang and were fine.
What kind of wax do you use on your vinyl?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

+1 Same question...
Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I use meguiars paste wax. comes in a flat, round can for about $10. I also use their liquid cleaner wax on my stripes to remove any stains.

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

What kind of wax do you use on your vinyl?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:48 PM
sandy
2nd Gear Member

+1 .......I use the same wax and love the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: unhappy with vinyl stripes...