Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS anti-theft

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GPS anti-theft

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I had Lojack put in my car when I bought it for two reasons, 1. it gave me a discount on the insurance, 2. I bought the car outright (no monthly payments ) and if it gets stolen I want it back. They called me from Lojack one day and said they wanted to test the unit, I said go ahead. I live in NY, I was on MaCarther Road in Allentown Pa., they new where I was in a second........Hope they didn't tell my wife. But it gave me peace of mind.
LOL. Don't give your wife their phone number for sure. "He's WHERE??!?"
Old 04-20-2007, 05:31 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

www.mymobileguardian.com

Mike

That looks good, too. Do you have one? What has been your experience with them? How about the install? Did you do it or have it done?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:08 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Hey Bill,
Yes, I use Mobile Guardian. I purchased it when I bought my car. That was two years ago, and I believe it was about 750.00. There are no monthly charges....

They came out to my driveway and installed it. As a matter of fact, they really don't even want the owner watching the install, to avoid any possibility of the system "secrets" being learned by the wrong people. I like this system because it is GPS satellite, and does not rely upon cell phone towers or such. I have done searches on my car just for kicks, and it will triangulate the position down to within yards. It can actually tell the difference between the front of my work, and the rear parking of my work.

If your alarm is activated, it has the ability to notify you via cell phone, text, E Mail, etc. If mine goes off, it notifies me on all three. (cell, work e mail, home e mail) It will notify you if the battery is disconnected as well. It is almost immediate notification. My car has the active alarm system, i.e. motion sensors. One day when I picked up my son from school, I had set the alarm, but left the windows down. He stuck his arm thru the window, which of course set off the motion alarm. Before I was in the car, my cell phone was ringing, notifying me of the alert. It's that quick. If you have other drivers of your car, you can set a speed limit that the car cannot go over.....If the car is taken, you can set the kill on the car, so when it is stopped, it cannot be re-started.......

Probably one of the best mods I have never had to use........

Mike
Old 04-20-2007, 07:18 PM
kmcleod

The 30 minute notification is mentioned on the LoJack web site under the FAQ for the Early Warning System. The info from the web site coincides with my experience, which is, that it is usually about 30 minutes to get an email on my Treo. Here is what the LoJack web site says:

How long does it take to receive LoJack Early Warning call notification?
Typical notification from the time a vehicle begins moving without the presence of the Early Warning Key Pass is about 15-30 minutes and no longer than 1 hour.

As for installation, I do them in our fleet trucks myself. Two wires, 12v hot all the time and ground. There are two antennas. One is a flat round glass mount antenna for the GMS and the second is for the GPS, both of which are installed in the right front window. If you go to this link: http://www.mcleodscotties.com/000_0027.jpg and look real carefully, this is my GT500. You can see the flat round antenna for the GMS in the upper right of the windshield and the square GPS antenna on the right front dash, close to the right corner of the windshield.

On the GT500 I had the selling dealer install the unit. They did it at no charge. For sake of keeping wires short, I had them install the unit in the right front kick panel, next to the fuse panel. I sent the 7100to the dealer about 3 days before I picked up the car new (and had it activated at the same time), as I wanted it in full tracking mode as I new that I would be spending at least one night on the road in the new car.On the units we install, I don't think we spend more than 10 minutes doing the work.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Thanks, guys, for the great information. First hand reports are always the best, especially if they are from people you can trust. I'll do some further research and then decide which one I want. Then it's a matter of getting the money together.