Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the reason aftermarket CD players need.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Default Whats the reason aftermarket CD players need.....

I forgot what it was, whats the exactreason the aftermarket CD players need the 5v regulator installed? I am going to ask some people at work what else would work. Also, I heard that resistors work also, has anyone used that and what rating did you use. Thanks
Old 04-20-2007, 09:17 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats the reason aftermarket CD players need.....

My Pioneer did not need one, so I'm not sure in your case.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I think it had something to do with folks trying to integrate the factory amps from the Shaker systems into their aftermarket decks. I think that only applies if you're wanting to use the subs that come with the Shaker500/1000, if you don't, then you'll just be running the regular door speakers with the aftermaket deck. That's why I ordered a deluxe instead of a premium, I didn't want to pay for amps/subs I would replace. From doing a little more research though, it seems that most folks' beef with the Shaker subs/amps is the lack of bass tone control. I saw a guy's write up on how to work around this though, so I may get a premium after all, because I want the damn comfort group...[:@]Much easier to work around the radio, than to buy new seats and wiring harnesses.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

When I installed my AVIC-D3 I did not plug the door subs into the metra harness because when I had it done that way in my 04, it did not actually sound that good. I did hook up that wire though. So this weekend. I will disconnect the power to the factory amps. I think with just the upperdoor speakers and my 12" MTXs in the back that it sound great. I just wanted to get rid of the popping.My car already had the shaker so I paid for it, but it works for me. Maybe later on I will actually try to hook it up right.

So is it the car that is putting out 5, and the radio is 12 so when they meet it pops? Is the the lamens terms?

ORIGINAL: gtucker4

I think it had something to do with folks trying to integrate the factory amps from the Shaker systems into their aftermarket decks. I think that only applies if you're wanting to use the subs that come with the Shaker500/1000, if you don't, then you'll just be running the regular door speakers with the aftermaket deck. That's why I ordered a deluxe instead of a premium, I didn't want to pay for amps/subs I would replace. From doing a little more research though, it seems that most folks' beef with the Shaker subs/amps is the lack of bass tone control. I saw a guy's write up on how to work around this though, so I may get a premium after all, because I want the damn comfort group...[:@]Much easier to work around the radio, than to buy new seats and wiring harnesses.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

It is for connecting the factory amps to an aftermarket head unit. Generally the aftermarket head units are putting out 12v turn on lead and the factory amps are only looking for 5v. The result is a pop when you turn on the radio ... the resister is to get rid of the pop.

EDIT: Shouldn't be any damage to the speakers, just the annoying pop.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 AM
gtucker4
2nd Gear Member

I believe it's the aftermarket radio that puts the 12v out, and that the Shaker amp can't handle that without the popping, if I'm remembering the post correctly. The 5v regulator/resistor equalizes this, from what I understood, I hope someone out there will correct me if I'm wrong. You should be able to get to that post I'm talking about, if you do search the postings about the Shaker500. I REALLY don't want the Shaker500, because I'm going to do like you did, and add a car multimedia system, but the Premium models have discounts applied to them that the Deluxe models don't. That means a Premium that comes standard with the Shaker radio, is cheaper than a Deluxe model without it... I need to find somebody wanting to trade door panels with me...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

The shacker systems have 2 amps depending on which ones you have. I have the 500, it only has 1 amp and I hooked up my kenwood touchscreen ddx-8017 with no adapters and it sounds great. I also mounted my own amp with a 12" sub in the trunk for bass. The 1000 system has another amp just for the sub in the trunk. But I've never needed a 5vadapter for any car I've had, so I cant really tell you what it's for.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

+ ena (Greek for 1) I had my shop install the regulator and a tiny resistor and now the pop is gone.

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

It is for connecting the factory amps to an aftermarket head unit. Generally the aftermarket head units are putting out 12v turn on lead and the factory amps are only looking for 5v. The result is a pop when you turn on the radio ... the resister is to get rid of the pop.

EDIT: Shouldn't be any damage to the speakers, just the annoying pop.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:17 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

where does the resistor go? Do you know what value it is?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:40 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Brandon,
Here is a post I found very helpful on this subject. The subject matter is not on a Mustang, but it is the exact same application. It's no big thing, pretty simple....Here ya go....

Mike

http://www.dennisjudd.com/archives/000947.html

Quick Reply: Whats the reason aftermarket CD players need.....