Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Tires filled with Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:15 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stock Tires filled with Nitrogen?

actually, nitrogen atoms are one of the smallest out there...and technically, if you fill up your tires they are being filled up w/ air....and air is made up of over 75% of nitrogen

but, since the nitrogen molecule is smaller, if there are any areas it could leak out, it will leak out quicker than "air"
it is completely false if you say a nitrogen molecule is larger than those of "air" molecules...
want me to prove it
a) nitrogen is elemental, there for it is N2.....two molecules
b) air is comprised of multiple molecules

add it up and its simple to see that nitrogen has smaller molecules than "air" does
if you would like further proof, go to your nearby periodic table of elements and see which one has a larger molar mass

N2=28.18g/mol
"Air"= over 42.5g/mol

dont do it, it is a waste of money.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deutscherstang

actually, nitrogen atoms are one of the smallest out there...and technically, if you fill up your tires they are being filled up w/ air....and air is made up of over 75% of nitrogen

but, since the nitrogen molecule is smaller, if there are any areas it could leak out, it will leak out quicker than "air"
it is completely false if you say a nitrogen molecule is larger than those of "air" molecules...
want me to prove it

add it up and its simple to see that nitrogen has smaller molecules than "air" does
if you would like further proof, go to your nearby periodic table of elements and see which one has a larger molar mass

N2=28.18g/mol
"Air"= over 42.5g/mol

actually the nitrogen does stay in your tires better...dont know why but it does
Old 04-22-2007, 07:26 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

However, nitrogen is used to fill tires for say plane tires or bus tires because nitrogen does not oxidize or obtain moisture as easily as "air does", the only real argument it has going for it in consumer automotive is its "inertness" which explains why the tires are balanced

some say that sure nitrogen has a larger diameter than oxygen does , which is correct...but that does not prove that air molecules which are made up of both oxygen and nitrogen and others(which would create a larger diameter) would escape more easily
chemically speaking, "air" is larger in diameter than elemental nitrogen.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Vista_Blue_GT

want me to prove it

N2=28.18g/mol
"Air"= over 42.5g/mol

actually the nitrogen does stay in your tires better...dont know why but it does
its classic, modern consumerism...companies "hire" these chemical companies/"experts" to provide some argument that hey nitrogen is good for your tires and all of the consumers are like "hey that sounds like an awesome argument, im going to get N2 in my tires"...but in reality w/out the consumerism if you chemically analyze it, nitrogen is not better than air for your tires
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vista_Blue_GT

want me to prove it

N2=28.18g/mol
"Air"= over 42.5g/mol

its classic, modern consumerism...companies "hire" these chemical companies/"experts" to provide some argument that hey nitrogen is good for your tires and all of the consumers are like "hey that sounds like an awesome argument, im going to get N2 in my tires"...but in reality w/out the consumerism if you chemically analyze it, nitrogen is not better than air for your tires
nitrogen is better for your tires...that is the reason planes use it

and air isnt a molecule...it is a mixture of molecules...oxygen and nitrogen isnt bonded together...nor is their h2o in the mix either which is in air

so technically it is better for your tires

but for me my tires probably wouldnt last long enough for the air to start rusting the wires in my tires so 20 bucks isnt worth it to me
Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

they put nitrogen into plane tires, because nitrogen is one of the best molecules when put under pressure...and when you land a plane there is a lot more pressure being put on those tires bc of force and weight rather than just driving the mustang around....thats why the put it in planes, not because it keeps tire pressure up.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM
tritonpwrd
2nd Gear Member

Nitrogen does maintain its pressure in the tire better than air. I'm no science wizard but from experience it is better than air in that it does not leak out as quick and outside temps do not affect the tires psi as much as air does.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

The U.S. military, Nascar and NASA all use the inert gas to fill high-performance tires.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I work on aircraft, and have done so for 30 yrs. If the plane has the tires serviced out on the ramp, we'll use nitrogen, but on the hangar deck we just use plain compressed air. It's just easyer to haul a nitrogen cart out to the ramp than running a long air hose. Even then we sometimes bring out a portable compressor if some one else is tying up the nitrogen cart. I have worked on all types of large aircraft, and thats the way it's always done. These wheels are broken down and rebuilt to often to have any problems with moisture or corrosion.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:51 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Quick Reply: Stock Tires filled with Nitrogen?