Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked - Mustang Kept Accelerating

Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wrecked - Gas Pedal Got Stuck

Car can always be replaces, your life and other can't. Glad to hear everyone is alrigh.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:10 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Damn sorry to hear about what happened to your car, but I'm glad you're ok. I had something similar happen to me with my Marauder, which has a cable throttle body, not electric like our Mustangs. I had only had it for a couple of months when I had it on a short road trip. I was on the highway and using cruise control. I took it out of cruise and the car kept accelerating. Not super fast, but like about 1/3 throttle. I punched the throttle a couple of times but it wouldn't back off. I used the brakes to get the car slowed down to about 50 MPH and popped it in neutral. The engine immediately raced and shot up to about 5000 RPM before I shut it down. I drifted to the side of the road and popped the hood for a look. Turns out my throttle cable had an odd kink in it that caused it to jump out of its track and hang up, holding the throttle body about 1/3 open. I put it back in its track and got home safely. Ford flew an engineer out to see my car and they replaced the cable with a new one that was nice and straight. No problems with it ever again. I was lucky and it happened on the interstate. Had that happened on city streets I might have ended up just like you did.

Good luck with getting the repairs made to your car and keep us posted on what you learn from Ford.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

Maybe some kind of settlement can be made from this from Ford to fix all the repairs.
Glad to hear you are ok.

My mom had a floor mat problem a few years ago with a different car. Scared the hell out of her.
In a way, I'm glad I got the anchor on the drivers side but also it sucks the carpeting in ripping.

In a situation like that, all that goes to your mind is not hitting anything. Brakes would be the first for me too.
Shutting the car off would be dangerous. I think in these Mustangs like many other cars ,the power steering and power brakes would be gone. You wouldn't be able to control anything.

You should have it looked at to see what caused it by a Ford dealer, so they can write it up and maybe something can be done about it. Good Luck......
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Guys.

Yeah I'm definately taking it to the dealer (and their body shop) on this one. I have a feeling my insurance company will be more forgiving if Ford accepts some responsibility for this. At the least they need to take a solid look at the car. I was extremely lucky to get out of this unscathed, and I'm not interested in the accelerator locking up like this a second time.

It's funny, this was the first time I regreted not getting a stick... pushing a clutch in would've been instinctive and fixed everything in this scenario.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Blackhawk07
1st Gear Member

Are you still on your warranty?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Yep - still under warranty.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 AM
Blackhawk07
1st Gear Member

Hmm you are lucky.. my friend has a 05 with x pipe/flowmasters n they kicked him from his warranty..how lame is that?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk07

Hmm you are lucky.. my friend has a 05 with x pipe/flowmasters n they kicked him from his warranty..how lame is that?
I see you're in Falls Church. Was it a dealer around here?

Technically I think they can only deny warranty work on his exhaust or on a problem caused by his exhaust.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:22 AM
Blackhawk07
1st Gear Member

Yeah, he got it from koons. The funny thing is,the car came with x-pipe n flowmasters. After he got it,he was kicked off from the warranty. I got my car from there as well. Im scared they will throw me out too because i will be modding it very soon.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

Note to self - Don't take car to Koons.

I was actually considering taking my car there for service since it's closer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrecked - Mustang Kept Accelerating