Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang & snow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang & snow?

AJC -

I too live in Philly (Manayunk to be exact) and use my 06 GT everyday. The secret to driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow is momentum. Just get it going and the Mustang is fine. I had no problems at all this winter, even the ice storm. If you need extra help, put 2 50-lb bags of sand in the trunk. It really helps!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:30 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I live in Minnesota and it does just fine if you don't suck at driving.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Get a beater compared to other modern cars the stang sucks royally in the snow. Is it manageable? Yes

I had to drive home in the stang once when the snow caught me off guard. There was less than .25" accumulation. It was like driving on a knifes edge. If you focused you'd be fine. Personally I don't like to rack my nerves when I drive. Not to mention TCS is a friggen joke on these cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM
bluepony06

A lot of weight in the trunk and just be ready for the tires to spin when you start. I drive my car all the time. I will be getting a beater for this winter though.

I didn't realize there was so many 05+ mustangs where I use to live in Trenton. Guess I need to get back there and check it out. Anyone in that area that wants to set up a cruise I am defiitely up for coming back to drive around a little bit.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 AM
06GTGIRL
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puddle356

ORIGINAL: 06GTGIRL

Hi, I can help you out a little bit here! I live in SD and last year was the first winter with my mustang and I drove it as often as I could in the snow. It wasn't too bad driving, but not real great either, but when it got too deep I had to park it. I don't have snow tires on though, so that might have helped. We get ALOT of snow. Heres a picture for you to ponder. I didn't get to drive for a few days until I dug it out of the 26 inches of snow we got!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53435/CA7801687E64484E9ACCEBAEC5EDC355.jpg[/IMG]
haha, if that car could have a facial expression, I think it would be similiar to what a cat would look like if you threw it into a bathtub full of water. anyway, yeah sandbags help a ton. I put around 200lbs in last winter and I was getting around better than any front wheel drive car could.
I agree with you on that one. The storm hit so fast, and the road crews weren't out, so I figured I would be better off leaving it in the driveway until I could drive it, instead of driving on the roads where all the idiots who forgot what driving in the snow in SD was like from last year!! haha
Old 04-25-2007, 03:06 AM
dmtGT05
1st Gear Member

I drove mine this past winter without incident... also won the bet that it would be in a scrap yard by march... thats jealous co-workers for ya. Im in Ont Canada btw.

The only problem I had was the hand brake kept freezing whenever I left it on overnight or in very low temperatures. I believe its caused by a leaky seal.. water getting inside the housing and freezing... Theres a TSB for it.. so ford will replace it.. no prob
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 AM
OZ_Tambo
1st Gear Member

06GTGIRL that is some bad *** snow... I thought they had garages even in South Dakota................... Glad ya ride came out OK

Thumbnail Image

Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

How did you ever get out of there??
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

I live in Wilkes-Barre, PA. (W-B/Scranton), about 2 hours north of Philly. This year wasn't so bad we had 1 major storm here and before that hardly anything. Just take your time and you should be fine. The traction control is good for wet roadsbut I take if off when the snow in deep or pulling out onto the highway here. When you start to slip or slide it just takes the power off the pedal and you really can tell. I got stuck one time at work, since this town sucks for plowing the roads. Yes, these cars are rear wheel drive and the back ends are light. Just like any other car, it's how you drive it and the condition of the road. I drive pretty cautious in snow and rain,but it's the people think they can drive fast in any weather that fears me.

I bought this Mustang to enjoy all year.I was asked the same question. What are you going to drive in the winter? I am paying for this Mustang every month and insurance and they think I am going to park it. I can't dropped the full coverage insurance for winter months due to it's thru the bank and those monthly payments. Besides I had junkers that I drove and I bought this car to stop from breaking down.

No matter what car you have, if the roads are snow covered, you have to be careful and take your time.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
06GTGIRL
2nd Gear Member

06GTGIRL that is some bad *** snow... I thought they had garages even in South Dakota................... Glad ya ride came out OK
How did you ever get out of there??

Yep, the rich folks do have garages!! haha No, I am just kidding, we really want to build a garage, even more so now that I have my car. We do have a 60X80 shop that my husband owns that he paints in, that is where I normally park it when I can't drive it, but this storm hit so damn fast I didn't have time to get it out of the driveway. We got this 26 inches of snow in about 2-3 days, then the wind factor about 60 mph blew a couple more inches in and around that. So to get out, my daughters boyfriend came with a bob cat and scooped up to about 3 feet away from my car and I shoveled the rest out. The snow was packed under the car and around the wheels, I left it run for about 45 minutes to get him good and warmed up then I drove to the shop and parked it. Took 3 days inside to melt off everything from underneath!!

Quick Reply: Mustang & snow?