Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Dead battery caused window problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default Dead battery caused window problem

As has happened to many '05-'09 Mustang owners, I found my battery completely drained after not starting the car for a couple weeks this winter. The last time I ran the car a few weeks before it died, everything in the car was working perfectly. After the battery drained, I recharged it and the car started right up. However, now I'm having a problem with the driver's side window! I don't know if I'll be able to explain this very well, but I'll try to make sense.

You know how these cars have a feature that causes the window (when fully raised) to automatically drop a little bit when the doors are opened and then close all the way back up after the door is closed? Well, ever since the battery died, now the driver's window doesn't go all the way back up unless I use the power switch on the door to fully raise it. And once it's up and I try to open the door from inside, it won't automatically drop that little bit anymore unless I use the switch to lower it first. The window itself works fine and will raise all the way up and down with the switch; it's just not doing that little auto-drop anymore.

Now perhaps that doesn't sound like a big problem, but......what it's doing is causing me to not be able to CLOSE THE DOOR from the outside unless I push on the window as I'm closing the door, OR close the door with the window slightly lowered beforehand. And by the way, it's only the driver's door that doesn't work properly; the passenger window still does it's little auto-thing just fine and everything else in the car also still works (at least while the battery is charged).

So, does anyone know what causes that automatic feature to work the way it does on each door? Is it controlled by some kind of internal switch unique to each door, and if so, is it repairable/replaceable without me having to take it to a dealer? Or is it a computer controlled and gonna cost big bucks?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Look in the owner's manual; it says how to calibrate the windows. I had to do it after replacing my battery.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

This has happened to me quite a few times because i took the hot off the battery for mods. The first thing to do is to start the car and let it idle for 2-3min then turn on the a/c. Finally to complete the re-calibration of the computer drive the car for more than 5 miles. this should fix the problem and your windows will be back to normal.

I freaked out too when this happened to me the first time, i didnt realized they fixed themselves until i got out of the car and closed the door and it went up automatically.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:59 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

TX Zstang...has the answer. Very common problem.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
TheMadScientist

Open door. Put window all the way down. Raise window all the way up with door open. should be good to go.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
Open door. Put window all the way down. Raise window all the way up with door open. should be good to go.
You have to hold the switch in the up position for about 5 seconds or so.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 AM
TheMadScientist

Originally Posted by d_ames117
You have to hold the switch in the up position for about 5 seconds or so.

Thanks. I don't have a manual for my car. I thought the window was broken until I did what I posted by accident.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMadScientist
No. The door needs to be closed.

Restoring the Express up functionality (Front windows only)

Under low battery power conditions, Express Up only functionality may be lost. To reset this function after restoring full battery power, pull the switch to the Express Up position, hold the switch until the glass reaches the stall position and continue to hold for 2 seconds. Push the window switch DOWN and operate the window to the full down position. Express UP will now be functional. Perform Express UP re-calibration with door closed only. Calibrating with door open will cause the window to continuously bounce back.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies. I'll give these a try......as soon as I recharge my battery AGAIN!! Damnit!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Its time to replace that battery if it has died on you more than once. I had to replace mine last year.

Quick Reply: Dead battery caused window problem