Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle at 3k rpm /// where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?

Well the thin aluminum could easily vibrate and cause noise, but not really a rattling sound unless the nuts were really loose, which I seriously doubt.

My noise is strange, it's intermittent and only happens over 45mph or so, sometimes it will get louder when I step on it and sometimes it won't. I think it's in the transmission/clutch somewhere. I'll find out when i change my clutch.

Anyway I removed all my heat shields and didn't notice any difference in noise. I put the cat shields back in and left the other two out. They are allready cut up from installing my driveshaft safety loop and they don't really look necessary (no way Ford would had something unecessary!).

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

yup, they are the "dimpled" dull foil lookingpieces of metal between the cats/exhaust and the underbelly of your car. although i'm not certain what would be rattling . . .
Old 04-26-2007, 05:08 PM
TElke1
2nd Gear Member

I have the same issues, rattles at 3k rpm....I was told this could be the dust sheild around the front of the tranny, mine seem to be tight....prob will never figure it out[:@]
Old 04-26-2007, 05:13 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: TElke1

I have the same issues, rattles at 3k rpm....I was told this could be the dust sheild around the front of the tranny, mine seem to be tight....prob will never figure it out[:@]
I know and its sounds really bad when running up through the gears! People in the car with me must think I am tearing something up.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:36 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Those are the shields but that is not your rattling. I have the same rattling at the same RPM but if you bang on the shields they dont budge at all. There has been talk about the rattle being from the transmission crossmember but i banged the hell out of that too and nothing. It might be the overaxle pipes banging around but no way to test it as you have to be actually moving and not just revving the engine. If you can figure out the cause please let us know because many of us have the metallic clanging noise!
ok there are4 causes for this rattling as i have seen on other forums:

1) exhaust is loose, causing rattling. tighten all nuts/bolts

2) heat shields are loose, causing rattling. tighten nuts/bolts and bend out of the way.

3) rattle is coming from shifter - there is a little-knownTSB out there to fix this. to test if this is it, push down on the shifter (vertically) when you hear the rattle and see if it stops. this will happen at 1200 rpm and 3000rpm...NOT just 3000rpm.

4) rattle is coming from hangers on exhaust/mufflers. not because they're not tight, but because when they bend in to hang, they are going in TOO far and rattling. try cutting down the hangers so they don'tgo inas much...

i.e. if they look like this
---------- (top of hanger)
|
|
|
|
|
(exhaust)

change it to this by cutting the top of hanger

----
|
|
|
|
|
(exhaust)
Old 04-26-2007, 05:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Any of ya'll with this 3k rattle have che torque limiters? I don't get this rattle, but I don't remember it when i didn't have the limiters either. Believe me, if something was going to shake loose on anyones car and rattle, it would be mine. I live on the bumpiest dirt road you can possibly imagine. It gets so bad that it will vibrate my rear deck lid, sounds like I have boom in the trunk.

I know and its sounds really bad when running up through the gears! People in the car with me must think I am tearing something up.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

btw i can get my rattle to happen JUST BY REVVING...no need to be moving. have you tried it yet?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Any of ya'll with this 3k rattle have che torque limiters? I don't get this rattle, but I don't remember it when i didn't have the limiters either. Believe me, if something was going to shake loose on anyones car and rattle, it would be mine. I live on the bumpiest dirt road you can possibly imagine. It gets so bad that it will vibrate my rear deck lid, sounds like I have boom in the trunk.

i'm 100% stock...
Old 04-26-2007, 05:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Have you taken it to the dealer? Seems this would be easy to diagnose if you can reproduce it that easily.

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

btw i can get my rattle to happen JUST BY REVVING...no need to be moving. have you tried it yet?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

yes i have taken it to the dealer. twice. they claim they cannot reproduce it...which is impossible as the noise is so obvious. most likely they just can't figure out what's causing it...they had my car for 2 days and nothing...

edit: it seems to get better (softer) as the car engine warms up...that leads me to believe it is the heat shield (at least for me)...
Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yes mine gets quieter as the engine warms and sometimes would do it once fully operation temps set in, but I can not do it will revving.

Quick Reply: rattle at 3k rpm /// where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?