Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with mod list

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Default Need some help with mod list

Hey everyone, so now that I have had my Mustang for a couple of months and I've done some little things that I thought were a must, such as getting the exhaust sorted out, as well as some appearance mods. Now it's time to start setting money aside for the bigger mods. However I need some help getting a plan in place. I don't want to go around and just throw money into things that I don't need or that won't compliment any other mods. I know people may ask this a lot, but I think everyones wants and needs are all different. So I want to get a plan set up that is personal to me.

So here are my goals, I absolutely want to supercharge the car at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I would like to do cams as well. I would like to be in the realm of 450-500HP. I want everything to be safe since it is my daily driver but when I want to rip up the tarmac I want to be able to lol. I may do some autocross stuff as well as some runs at the drag strip. But at the end of the day the car is daily driven so I want it to have the best power and handling where it matters, and for me that means it needs to be best on the street.

Should I do suspension first so that when I do supercharge I will be able to do what I want with the power. Or should I get the power and kind of build my suspension around that? As far as suspension goes, what kinds of things do you recommend?

As far as a supercharger goes, I was thinking of going with a positive displacement, or roots style but as I have done some more reading I'm leaning more towards a CSC like the pro charger high out put or the stage 2. It sounds like a CSC would be a little better for daily driving since it's not always in boost and will only really have the boost come on in the mid range. What do you guys think? Do you guys even think supercharging is good on a daily driven car?

As far as cams go, if I do supercharge should I wait on cams so I can get cams that are made for superchargers? or does a non supercharger cam work fine with a supercharger? I have planned on getting the Hot rod cams just because I love the sound on them. I know the gains won't be much, it's more of the sound that I'm going for with those.

Am I missing anything else? Like I said this is my first time really getting into it so let me know if I'm an idiot or not lol. I just want to make sure I have a game plan going into everything before I get into it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Xann27
1st Gear Member

As you mentioned, this is your daily driver, so I would start with whats going to be good for that. I would start suspension. a well balanced coilover set will do wonders for you. since you plan on adding disgusting amounts of power soon, I urge you to get adjustable coils. so you can firm it up for tracking the car, and loosen it up for date night and the commute. from there, I would say your head is in the right place. get an exhaust thats designed for a SC motor. look into a cam that will benefit you now, and MORE in the future. when you SC a car, its like a boob job for a girl. alot of old stuff just wont fit/work for you anymore. you'll need alot of new stuff, and time to adjust. its a big thing. I have a Steeda tune on my 5.0 now, and as they offer lifetime tunes, if I add ANYTHING to the car, all I do is call. and boom. I get an email with a file for a new ECU map. so, go for that sooner than later as well if you havent already.

but in all honesty, go sit down with your mechanic over a beer, and get to know him. get to know what will truly be needed. The more YOU know about your car, the better. If your mechanic is cool with you, the better it will be for you in the long run too.

I wish you well on your build!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 AM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

What do you recommend for coilovers? Also what cam would you recommend. Is the Hot rod cam a good choice or should I go for something else? I would like to keep it NSR if possible and I want it to be street able. But as you said I do want it to work best for the supercharger since that is where I plan on going.

Luckily I do have a mechanic that is also part of a challenger club with my parents. So we all see each other about every weekend to do car shows and what not so we have all gotten to be pretty good friends. I'll have to give him a call and see what all he thinks
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 AM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

If you're not going to be adjusting height constantly, might consider just springs and shocks and save yourself some coin for other mods. I run Koni yellows under Steeda sports and have been very happy (also have camber plates up front and a Watts out back).
Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I had Detroit rockers cams installed in my car before I supercharged it and they work fine with the supercharger now. I wont switch to a FI cam just bc I think the it would be minimal change. The only thing I would suggest not doing is a CAI as that will need replaced. Just get a handheld tuner. SCT is what most use. Depending where u live get a good tuner brenspeed, American muscle plus several others are trusted tuners. and at 450 your car will be very streetable. I enjoy having my boost start at lower rpms but some don't. One to consider is some good summer tires. I have street legal MT slicks that I use during the summer. If your looking for suspension ideas go to the handling section and there are some good guys over there that can answer all your questions. And when you pick out your tuner have them do the build if your sourcing out the work to be done. Atleast that's my take. You have a good start.

Some other things to consider is a PA deep tranny pan. It comes with a dipstick. Catch can for the tranny bc when the tranny gets hot enough the oil leaks through the tube and on to the bell housing. Oil catch can for blow by.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM
iMuf
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I had Detroit rockers cams installed in my car before I supercharged it and they work fine with the supercharger now. I wont switch to a FI cam just bc I think the it would be minimal change. The only thing I would suggest not doing is a CAI as that will need replaced. Just get a handheld tuner. SCT is what most use. Depending where u live get a good tuner brenspeed, American muscle plus several others are trusted tuners. and at 450 your car will be very streetable. I enjoy having my boost start at lower rpms but some don't. One to consider is some good summer tires. I have street legal MT slicks that I use during the summer. If your looking for suspension ideas go to the handling section and there are some good guys over there that can answer all your questions. And when you pick out your tuner have them do the build if your sourcing out the work to be done. Atleast that's my take. You have a good start.

Some other things to consider is a PA deep tranny pan. It comes with a dipstick. Catch can for the tranny bc when the tranny gets hot enough the oil leaks through the tube and on to the bell housing. Oil catch can for blow by.
Yea, I was thinking of going with a Bama/SCT tuner from american muscle since it looks like they have a new one that recently came out. As far as a supercharger goes, do you think I would notice a difference in gas mileage if I went with a positive displacement supercharger vs a CSC. On a CSC one would think it would gas mileage would be a little better since boost doesn't come on till you really get on it. If you think there wouldn't be a difference then I think I may go with a positive displacement supercharger since I think I would like to have the power in the low end, that and I love the whine that they have over the CSC.

I will certainly look into a PA deep tranny pan and a catch can. Thanks for the help
Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iMuf
Yea, I was thinking of going with a Bama/SCT tuner from american muscle since it looks like they have a new one that recently came out. As far as a supercharger goes, do you think I would notice a difference in gas mileage if I went with a positive displacement supercharger vs a CSC. On a CSC one would think it would gas mileage would be a little better since boost doesn't come on till you really get on it. If you think there wouldn't be a difference then I think I may go with a positive displacement supercharger since I think I would like to have the power in the low end, that and I love the whine that they have over the CSC.

I will certainly look into a PA deep tranny pan and a catch can. Thanks for the help
As far as fuel mileage I don't think it would be that big of a difference. Hell there use to be discussions about fuel mileage if you had 410 vs. 373. Honestly when I had my 410s installed along with my tuner and CAI my car got better mileage over stock. Your fuel mileage will go up with any of the superchargers you install. How much of difference between them will be minimal. You gotta think though with the extra power comes the heavier foot. You will lose more fuel mileage by adding cams over anything else. So if its a big concern then don't do cams. Just do your exhaust. The car will sound great with whatever you pick.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

If 450 is goal, just by supercharger, LCAs and see where you are at..
Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Lots of good advice here. If you want a supercharger then just save for that. Cams are cool but frankly since adding my supercharger my cam lope is no where near as loud. If your not doing the install then spend the money on the blower not the cams if your on a budget. For suspension you can just start off with LCAs easy and cheap. Lowering it, shocks etc....can all come later. Always shop the sales, AM and others have sales every month on different items. PM Shayne the AM rep here, he can give you a discount code that really adds up.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:14 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

I've heard Hot Rods aren't so great with a supercharger because they have too much overlap which tends to "bleed off" the intake charge when you're boosted.

I kinda wondered, what are the downsides to running blower cams on an n/a car?

Quick Reply: Need some help with mod list