Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tutorial: SCT Xcal2 - How do I download and upload a tune? (w/pics & vid)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Default Tutorial: SCT Xcal2 - How do I download and upload a tune? (w/pics & vid)

How to upload a tune file into your XCal2

This tutorial was written for the ‘First Timer’ dealing with Tunes that were e-mailed to them or received them on a CD and have no clue on how to upload them into their SCT XCal2 handheld tuner.

Note: Before you get started, be aware that you cannot download any of your existing tunes from the XCal2 handheld to your PC. Only your SCT Dealer (Tuner) can provide you with back-up copies of the tunes that you purchased.

From your CD or e-mail, download your tune(s) into your PC (remember the location where you download them).

Install the SCT Live Load 3 and the SCT Windows Drivers from the supplied CD. If you don’t have one, you can download the latest versions from the SCT website. Current version is 1.3.1 as of April 26, 2007.
[/align]
Plug in your XCal2 into an open USB port using the supplied cable (or if your printer/scanner utililizes a USB connection, unplug the USB cable from it, then plug it into the XCal2).

Once plugged in (for the first time), you’ll see ‘Found New Hardware’ message appear in the lower right taskbar and the XCal2 window will display the Main Menu.

Click open the Live Load program icon on your desktop. You’ll see a pop up window telling you to make sure the Main Menu is displayed in the XCal2. Click ‘OK’.

This is the main screen of Live Load. On top, it’ll display the 3 tunes (under File Position) you currently have stored in the 3 banks of the XCal2.

In Step 1 of the window, click the‘Browse’ button and go to the location where you saved your tunes. From my example shown, I have selected TJF1BillS91raceK_N.ll3. Click on the file you wish to upload then click ‘Open’.

Choose which File Position you want the new tune installed. It will replace whatever tune is currently in that bank. In my example, I chose File Position 1.
NOTE: After completing the load for (in my example) Position 1 and you want to load a second or third file, you must move the black dot to Position 2 or 3.

Rename your Description for that File Position (15 characters max). I chose to name mine ’91 Race K&N’.

Once renamed, click on the ‘Add File’ button in Step 3. Now, just sit back and relax and let the computer do its thing. You can view the upload progress in the vertical bar on the right.

Below are some screenshots on the XCal2 as it erases the current file position and uploads the new tune file in its place.

When the upload is complete, the Live Load window will display ‘Programming was successful!!!’ and the XCal2 screen will go back to the Main Menu.

[/align][/align]All that’s left is to unplug the USB cable from your XCal2 and close the Live Load program. [/align][/align][/align]Note: I am currently running Version 1.1.6 of Live Load.[/align][/align]If you have downloaded (or currently running) a newer version, the screen titled "Main Menu" no longer appears with the newer versions of Live Load.

When uploading tunes to your Xcal2, ignore the warning "Make sure it says Main Menu, then press ok.," but be sure "Program Vehicle" is highlighted before proceeding.

This info was found on sctflash.com forums.
[/align][/align][/align]Now that the tunes have been uploaded into yourXcal2, let's go out to the car.[/align][/align][/align]I know a few of you out there wants to know where you plug it into, how todownload a tune file, and what's all involved. Wonder no more![/align][/align]Note: It's suggested in the SCT instructions that you should pull the fan and fuel pump fuses prior to re-flashing the PCM.&nbsp
Old 04-26-2007, 04:21 PM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tutorial: SCT Xcal2 - How do I download and upload a tune? (w/pics & vid)

Awesome write-up and great attention to detail!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tutorial: SCT Xcal2 - How do I download and upload a tune? (w/pics & vid)

Once again you have outdone yourself...thanks for all you do. See you at the cruise
Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I swear Bill, if I had a teacher like you when I was in school I wouldn't have played hooky so much. As usual outstanding job!!!!!!!! Thanks, Eddie.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:45 PM
KeeJoZ
1st Gear Member

Anyone aware what to do with the diablosport?
Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Bill,

What does this mean?:

" FBLF152 = VDX1 = This code updates to = FBLF1G2 = SRV0 **Updated 12/06* "

My catchcode is VDX1. Does this mean the dealer may have reflashed to SRV0 if my car's been to the dealer since 12/06? I just ordered by CAI and X2 from B a m achimps and I want to be sure I'm ok. I listed my catch code as VDX1 when I ordered.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

What does this mean?:

My catchcode is VDX1. Does this mean the dealer may have reflashed to SRV0 if my car's been to the dealer since 12/06? I just ordered by CAI and X2 from B a m achimps and I want to be sure I'm ok. I listed my catch code as VDX1 when I ordered.
Your Dealer may have updated the Calibration Code. Really depends on what reason you took it in. For example, for an oil change, I doubt it.

Best bet is to check the code when you get your Xcal2. Do this before downloading any tune into your car.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: bascho

What does this mean?:

Your Dealer may have updated the Calibration Code. Really depends on what reason you took it in. For example, for an oil change, I doubt it.

Best bet is to check the code when you get your Xcal2. Do this before downloading any tune into your car.
Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Outstanding as usual. And I will say it again.

Thank You Bill for all the time and effort you put into these How To's You are a great asset to the Mustang community.

Richard
Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Bill as usual amazing work!!

Quick Reply: Tutorial: SCT Xcal2 - How do I download and upload a tune? (w/pics & vid)