Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed tranny fluid at 8K miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Changed tranny fluid at 8K miles

This is on a 2005 GT manual

Fluid was surprisingly red. Very red. Not bright red, but not yet dark red/brown. I changed it because I've seen horror pitch black fluid before on cars as early as 7K miles, due to break-in. After the initial early change then 15-25K miles a change is good, for me at least.

Anyways, I guess Ford really built a solid tranny or something... Im puzzled. Ive never seen break-in and up to 8K miles be this red. Anyways, i guess thats good!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:23 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Changed tranny fluid at 8K miles

Sounds great to me ....but I think the trans fluid is red because they put an additive in it to differentiate when a fluid is leaking what it is. i.e. trans, engine oil, etc. But glad things are running and wearing well.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

It's red because it's AFT. ATF is red.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

ok
Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 AM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

This is on a 2005 GT manual

Fluid was surprisingly red. Very red. Not bright red, but not yet dark red/brown. I changed it because I've seen horror pitch black fluid before on cars as early as 7K miles, due to break-in. After the initial early change then 15-25K miles a change is good, for me at least.

Anyways, I guess Ford really built a solid tranny or something... Im puzzled. Ive never seen break-in and up to 8K miles be this red. Anyways, i guess thats good!
My 1999 Ranger 3.0,4x4 with 5-speed M5OD tranny burnt tranny fluid real bad. Had to change it about every 6K and it came out black and lost most of it's viscosity. Mostly high speedhighway miles, I think the tranny must have been getting real hot, only real problem with it was the third gear synchro was going out. I got rid of the ranger with about 175 K on it, hope the Mustangis as trouble free as theRanger.

I now have a little over 6K on the '07 Pony with 5-speed manual. Think I will change it soon and hope the transmission doesnt burn fluid as bad as the M5OD.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Well ive always been under the impression that tranny fluid changes color like engine oil... as in clean and red at the start (or honeyish for engine oil) and dark brown by the end...
Old 04-27-2007, 04:28 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I'm a Redline fan, so I put in Redline D-4 at 4.6k miles which is their better grade for a manual trans while still being an ATF fluid.

I'm also a "Tufoil" fan, so I added a 10% mix to the Redline D-4 ATF fluid.

I think it shifts better with the change, but, my last car always shifted like a hot knife through butter even after 260k miles.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Well ive always been under the impression that tranny fluid changes color like engine oil... as in clean and red at the start (or honeyish for engine oil) and dark brown by the end...
It changes color when it gets too hot. If your auto transmission fluid in your auto tranny turns dark, you probably have a problem.

On the other hand engine oil gets contaminated with combustion debris etc and that is why it gets dark.

Auto tranny fluid should stay red.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

I'm a Redline fan, so I put in Redline D-4 at 4.6k miles which is their better grade for a manual trans while still being an ATF fluid.

I'm also a "Tufoil" fan, so I added a 10% mix to the Redline D-4 ATF fluid.

I think it shifts better with the change, but, my last car always shifted like a hot knife through butter even after 260k miles.
I also used Redline D4ATF in the Ranger, it stayed red longer than regular valvoline ATF and it also shifted better. It is good stuff.

What is best for the 5-speed T5 in the V6 Pony ???
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I know they recommend Mercon for the GT manual... I BELIEVE they recommend Mercon V for the V6 manual. Definately recheck those facts! I do know FOR SURE that between the V6 manual and auto and the GT manual and auto, the only two fluids recommended are Mercon and Mercon V. Since most newer brands cover both of these specs then you're ok either way.

One of these brands, and I prefer it, is Mobil 1's 'Synthetic ATF'. It covers Mercon and Mercon V, as well as many more. So you're probably best off with that.

Some people believe Mobil 1 is all name and nothing special, in that case I've never had a problem with Valvoline's Mercon V Synthetic ATF (also covers Mercon). Great stuff at about 55% the price of Mobil 1.

Again, im listing the readily available ones... If you want you can order AMSOIL, which many people swear by. I do not, as I believe all of these fake websites and tests are just marketing ploy by AMSOIL. They make great products, but I dont think they're anything that warrants a special order or anything.

Also, consider the additive Tufoil. Its pricey and you have to order it... But its the ONLY additive I've ever read of that gets no negative reviews at all, and only positive ones. Some people swear by it. Its the only additive that the FTC does not name as questionable or a fraud.

Quick Reply: Changed tranny fluid at 8K miles