Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm trying to improve my brakes....stock blows

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:33 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I'm trying to improve my brakes....stock blows

Speedyejl vs. Androdz

I want a nice clean fight... no hitting below the belt... ok... lets get it on! ding ding ding!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

check out baer brakes and rotors!! I love em!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

Don't those "Drilled " rotors make alot of noise? I drove a car that had them and it made a wicked ticking sound from the pads crossing over the holes in the rotor.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Hey all...my whole point was that since I'm getting my brake pads and lines done maybe I can switch out my rotors to something that MIGHT perform better IF NOT at leastlook nice and notrusty at the hub and stuff. Can anyone recommend a OEM replacement rotor that LOOKS nice and is practical for a DAILY DRIVER? THANKS!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:45 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

being that I drive on road courses, stainless lines DO in fact improve your braking - it's not just for "feel". You people claiming otherwise are ignorant. Stainless lines do not expand like rubber ones do, which means you do not lose line pressure.

Speedyejl - read the Wilwood link again. It does in fact say drilling DIMINISHES cooling. you owe Androdz an apology.

The drilling reduces rotating mass, but when it is on a stock size rotor you have now reduced the surface area of the rotor - no good. The bottom line is that they are a cosmetic upgrade and offer negligible performance gains. Anyone that believes otherwise does not know what they are talking about.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

If you read my post you'd see Stoptech AND Brembo's site says otherwise... I really don't care to argue the technical merits of this stuff, the bottom line to get across for the OP is that rotors are a cosmetic upgrade. I have no clue why people need to call people out on stupid crap, you know where you can put it.

Rodeo, show me somewhere where it says the expansion of rubber hoses lengthens stopping distances. The reason automakers don't but SS hoses on cars is because SS hoses are two layers. An inner tube with the braiding around it. This means the lines have the potential to deteriorate on the inside and look fine outside. A risk that isn’t practical for a street car.

Think about how much airbags, crush zones, etc cost. Automakers obviously know about SS lines, if they improved safety they would be on production cars in a heart beat.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:50 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Speedyejl

If you read my post you'd see Stoptech AND Brembo's site says otherwise... I really don't care to argue the technical merits of this stuff, the bottom line to get across for the OP is that rotors are a cosmetic upgrade. I have no clue why people need to call people out on stupid crap, you know where you can put it.

Rodeo, show me somewhere where it says the expansion of rubber hoses lengthens stopping distances. The reason automakers don't but SS hoses on cars is because SS hoses are two layers. An inner tube with the braiding around it. This means the lines have the potential to deteriorate on the inside and look fine outside. A risk that isn’t practical for a street car.

Think about how much airbags, crush zones, etc cost. Automakers obviously know about SS lines, if they improved safety they would be on production cars in a heart beat.
OMG you really dont know what you are talking about. Break fluid typically increases in temperature dramatically during use and this may be a new thing to you but rubber get softer as the temperature goes up. So if your lines are expanding they are not putting the same pressure to the caliper thus increasing your stopping distance. Read the link I posted like I said and please refrain from giving advice that is coming out from where the sun doesn't shine. BTW are you also using synthethic brake fluid for road racing??

PS the only thing that will cool your rotor better is this
http://www.v8power.com/item--Enginee...-KBP71600.html

Andrew
Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Yes, but the point is that while the stainless lines provide better modulation and a firmer pedal (I have them on my mopar and like em).

What it comes down to the following. If in a given situation the wheels lock at linepressure point X. And you are able to atchieve pressure X with rubber lines regardless of pedal feel, the net effect is the same and the car is going to stop in the same distance. Becasue the car can only handle so much brake force and you are able to generate that with either line.

Now. If on a particular section of track you have your foot hard on the brake pedal and it is on the floor, and your tires are such that the car is not skidding, then a non-expanding line will transfer more pressure to the caliper for given pedal travel.

As far as the rotors, read the above post is all I can say. A lot of good info.
Bottom line. IMO, on the street, cross drilling, dimpling, slotting, etc, is all cosmetic and actually reduces brake torque to a small extent.

On the track, the drilling can be helpfull when combined with a good brake ducting system that feeds the air into the center of the rotor hub and blows air through the vanes.

I am still on the fence about the benifits of slotting on the track. There is the thought that it helps pad gassing at extreme temps I would guess.