Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time back for dealer fix and paint prob

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:57 AM
mightymax

Default First time back for dealer fix and paint prob

Hi folks,

Well I finally took my 06 convertible in for a few dealer repairs. i have had it Since Sept 06 and have 4600 miles on it. I took it back because the drivers side leaked and the windows made the infamous screeching noise. I also had a third brakelight out and have some annoying noise in the dash on the passenger side.

Got it back on Friday and it was raining.I put it in the garage. i went to take it out on saturday and was shocked at the huge dry whit water spots. I took it immediately to the carwash. Top still leaks and the dash still makes the noise. I hope they at least fixed the freaking brake light! The windows are okay now.

Anyway i washed the car and took it back home. I am very upset because those water spots burned into the paint. I waxed the car twice. Hood is okay but the trunk and the spoiler you can still see the outline of the ring and it feels like a raised edge. Black car makes this really annoying.I wonder what happened as it has been rained on plenty and never a problem. Any ideas?

Max Bryant
Old 04-30-2007, 01:30 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: First time back for dealer fix and paint prob

do you live in or west of a city? if so it could be acid rain?
Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you don't say, but do you have a dark colored car? If it's a little dusty and it rains you will get those spots when the rain dries. Add acid rain and you'll need to do some serious work on the clearcoat!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:57 AM
mightymax

Yeah its black and the 5th black car Ihave owned. So i know it spots after it has been rained on. I thought acid rain as well but my black pontiac was out all weekend in the rain and it did not spot like this did. I guess I was expecting too much from the Protector package they sold me.would a cleaner type wax get rid of the raised spot outline?

Max Bryant
Old 04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dang, sorry to hear that. Black is a hard color to keep up, but I love it anyways.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I got the same spots on mine. Clearcoat got eaten away and everything. I took it to Ford, they said they won't cover it under warranty cause it looks like it was from a liquid. I argued with them for an hour trying to explain that rain is a dang liquid. Everytime I said that the service manager said no it's not. Cause there are spot marks that it looks like a liquid ran down the car. I told him again, yeah, rain will run like that too. and again he would just look at me like an idiot. Eventually he said, nope, sorry can't help you, then I brought up the TSB and he said that there is no Acid Rain cause the places I live don't have any. I guess he some how knows all about acid rain...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Try a product called 3M Rubbing Compound. It's made for removing scratches, swirl marks as well as water spots. You can purchase it at Wal-Mart in the Automotive section. I used it on my white van where I saw a 6 inch scratch above the fender. You can't even tell it's there now.

Good Luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Rubbing compound might be a bit harsh. In the bad old days before clearcoat, I used to know how to remove scratches. First step was a regular wax, because they have mild abrasive qualities. Then, it was something called Color Back, which is like the abrasive waxes without the wax. Then, it was Polishing Compound. If all else failed, I'd use Rubbing Compound, but I was never very good at using that stuff - always left the paint with swirls where the scratches used to be.

In this case, I'd try Color Back, or some kind of 'paint restorer' first, and see if that works before going to more extreme measures.