Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost to paint side scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cost to paint side scoops?

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

how hard do u think it would be or what kind of quality if i did it myself..

i have acces to compressor and gun.. but never tried anything like this.. if i bought the paint and did it.. is it hard.. and like what about clear coats?
Unless you know primer, basecoat and clear coat, I wouldn't try it. Can be tricky.

It worked for me. I found a replacement mirror on line for the one I knocked off, and found some autoi paint place. I told em what color and they hooked me up with primer/base/clear coat/rubbing compound/prep cleaner. I practised on the old one before I did the new one.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Unless you know primer, basecoat and clear coat, I wouldn't try it. Can be tricky.
ya thats what im thinking..

and about the side scoops.. the only ones that i like really.. are the xenon ones.. that actually kind of wrap up and extend to the wheel well.. they look awesome.. and are acutally cheeper then some of te others like on the GT CS.

but im at the point where i dont know if up to 300 is worth it for two plastic/fiberglass pieces just for looks.. although it would look bad *ss..

i would rather probably get a tuner.. but then im putin 45-50 in my tank instead of 35 bc i will be burning 93 octane
If I can make a suggestion, I'd get the tuner first. Definitely turns your car into a totally different machine! If it's a money issue, you'd get more out of the tuner, believe me!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I did it myself for around $100. There plastic so you need plastic prep clean, adhesive promoter, flex primer, base coat, clear coat and different grade sand paper,220, 320 & 600. Plus you have to make sure the edges are good, which they aren't. And you might need some spot puddy. A lot of work to make the perfect. If you don't know what you doing, leave it to a pro. Just sand the edges nice and sand the whole thing with 220 then 320 then bring it to the pro but make sure you clean with plastic prep before doing anything. It's gets the mold release agent off the part first. If not it will fisheye bad.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
The_Third
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

how hard do u think it would be or what kind of quality if i did it myself..

i have acces to compressor and gun.. but never tried anything like this.. if i bought the paint and did it.. is it hard.. and like what about clear coats?

It worked for me. I found a replacement mirror on line for the one I knocked off, and found some autoi paint place. I told em what color and they hooked me up with primer/base/clear coat/rubbing compound/prep cleaner. I practised on the old one before I did the new one.
Where'd you get those replacement mirrors from?