Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Whine... Just a little..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Weed Racer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Whine... Just a little..

Lower gear ratios will often whine a bit compared to stock.

As mentioned, helical cut gears whine much less if set up correctly.

There was a GM gear lube additive that was rare even 10 years ago that was made from sperm whale oil, which is an embargoed product nowadays. Older dealerships still have some of this stuff on the shelves, and it was great.

My stock gears whine a bit, but it's no big deal.

You don't mention when they whine. If they whine as you coast down with your foot off the gas, and this gets worse with time, that can be the pinion bearing going south. If the gearset is new and you have this conditon, there is probably too much lash in the pinion.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Romano

Im going shark fishing next month... What your saying i have to find a whale and milk it! [:'(] Ha... Well i think i might leave it alone... The bearings are new... might just be the lash then.... just as long as it doesnt blow up im cool.... Im going to try the friction modifier.... i dunno what brands are good or not.... As for the sperm... im not doubting it... i just feel wierd going into a speed shop and asking for it
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Romano

Im going shark fishing next month... What your saying i have to find a whale and milk it! [:'(] Ha... Well i think i might leave it alone... The bearings are new... might just be the lash then.... just as long as it doesnt blow up im cool.... Im going to try the friction modifier.... i dunno what brands are good or not.... As for the sperm... im not doubting it... i just feel wierd going into a speed shop and asking for it
pretty sure he was referring to theTYPE of whale! lol and go to ford parts, 75W-140 rear axle lubricant 18 bucks a quart! ridiculous
Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Friction modifer first amd then a re install if the gears still whine
ORIGINAL: modular81

When you say purple stuff are you meaning royal purple synthetic gear lube. If so i've heard that you need to put in motorcraft's friction modifier as well because rp doesn't have enough in it. I'm not speaking from my own experience this i just what i've read on different forums. Maybe some else can chime in on the subject.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
modular81
2nd Gear Member

Royal purple states that friction modifier is already in their synthetic gear lube, but many people havefound outthat it must not beenough friction modifier in it and they needed to add more. I'm getting ford racing 4.10's installed on monday and sticking with themotorcraft 75w140 synthetic gear lube and friction modifier.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:57 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Having a little gear whine is like being a little pregnant.........you either are or you aint. Have the installer get in your car and check it out, 'cause it won't get better, it'll only worsen if there's an issue with the install.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Weed Racer

You don't mention when they whine. If they whine as you coast down with your foot off the gas, and this gets worse with time, that can be the pinion bearing going south. If the gearset is new and you have this conditon, there is probably too much lash in the pinion.
What if they only make noise (faint noise I can barely hear over blower and exhaust with light throttle) when you are on the gas and don't make noise while coasting?

Brand new install with maybe60 miles on them BTW...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

My stocks gears whined and my 4:10 gears don't make anymore noise then those. I wouldn't worry about it. Or just go crazy worrying about it. I guarantee you if they redo the job it wouldn't be no different.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM
BobGt

Mac axle back mufflers is the answer
The drone will cancel out any whine noise
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 PM
05 Ricky
2nd Gear Member

I would stick to the ford motorcraft rear end fluid with a little exrta friction modifier. My buddy's whined a bit and he had Royal Purple in it and his gears had a hum to them and a slight whine and we swapped it out for the Ford stuff and his gear is quiter than the stock gear. I personally think that Royal Purple is over rated and isn't a good form of lubrication for these S197's

Quick Reply: Gear Whine... Just a little..