Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody notice this on the Shelby GT's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anybody notice this on the Shelby GT's?

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

Thanks for the correct info Black GT, I knew it was something in that direction, but was taking a stab at the methods used. That formula is pretty intricate, huh?
No problem!

They also go by tax brackets and increase the tax amount the further below the calculated mpg is from the minimum (22.5).
Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

On another note, has anyone noticed the headlight switch on the shelby GT's. It still pulls out like our GT's do to activate the fog lights. But the Shelby GT's dont have fog lights, so what happens when you pull on the switch?? I would kinda think that ford just reused the same switch from the Mustang GT, but why wouldnt they have used the V6 light switch without fogs? Is it because shelby just buys the GT's straight from ford then does there mods and doesnt worry about the light switch?
If you look behind the billet grill insert, you will find the stock GT grill with the fog lights and the pony cut out.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

The Shelby Gt is the best looking Mustang ever made. If I could have one I would in a skinny minute.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

The Shelby Gt is the best looking Mustang ever made. If I could have one I would in a skinny minute.
The only thing I don't like is the hood scoop, I think the little screws holding it on all the way around look like crap. Bolt it on from the bottom like the GT one and it would look 10x better. Or better yet, change the hood to include a molded scoop instead of a bolt on.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

The only thing I don't like is the hood scoop, I think the little screws holding it on all the way around look like crap. Bolt it on from the bottom like the GT one and it would look 10x better. Or better yet, change the hood to include a molded scoop instead of a bolt on.
The little screws or {Rivits) are not what hold it on the hood. There are 8 studs and is bolted onthru thehood.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Drew47000000

just curious, but why wouldn't it get better gas mileage since it breathes easier?
I think its safe to say in most cases, whenever you gain horsepower you will pay for it by using more fuel. Im not sure this works for every scenario, but it just makes sense that if the car is producing more output power wise it must be burning more fuel to produce it...
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
On another note, has anyone noticed the headlight switch on the shelby GT's. It still pulls out like our GT's do to activate the fog lights. But the Shelby GT's dont have fog lights, so what happens when you pull on the switch?? I would kinda think that ford just reused the same switch from the Mustang GT, but why wouldnt they have used the V6 light switch without fogs? Is it because shelby just buys the GT's straight from ford then does there mods and doesnt worry about the light switch?
When you order the car, you can have the Shelby fogs and lower grills installed which use the factory fog switch.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

The pull-out on the Shelby light switch is for the passenger ejection seat.

[sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Shelby GT has the gas guzzler tax because of the tune/intake but also the 3.55 gears. That is why the standard gears for 07+ are 3.31's to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Black GT is 100% correct about the formula's and such and it is the change in gear ratio's that helps make the difference in MPG between the model years and the Shelby GT.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

What I noticed about the Shelby at our local dealer was that it's side scoops werent properly color matched to the car. Two different shades of white. For 50,000 dollars after dealer markup...I expected perfection.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:37 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

It's because the combined mpg(city+hwy avg. divided by 2)is less than what's determined as acceptable fuel mileage(I believe over 21.5 combined mpg is not considered a gas guzzler). The Shelby GT's combined mpg are not up to this level and is subjected to being taxed, but only $1K, the GT500, with it's worse combined mpg, is taxed $1,300. Although the GT's combined mpg is 21(for stick cars), so why aren't we being taxed?
You are on the right track, but your equation is wrong (too simplified).

This is the equation used to determine the gaz guzzler tax: (1/(.495/City MPG + .351/Highway MPG)) + .15

With the equation, a Mustang GT with 17 mpg city & 25 mpg highway would have a combined fuel economy of 23.32 mpg. This is above the minimum of at least 22.5 mpg, hence no gas guzzler tax.

Also, the mpg values used in the equation goes by the EPA published value, which may or may not be the same as other published values.
Which makes one wonder, when I installed the CAI and tune my MPG for both city and highway jumped almost 3mpg, if I was really nice I hit 29mpg on a 400 mile trip. The car is over priced in my view, big time, not nealry enough to warrant the price tag. If it was superharged, ok then, but 42k for the car is nuts.

Quick Reply: Anybody notice this on the Shelby GT's?