Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005+ Mustang Convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
silvel2edge
1st Gear Member

Default 2005+ Mustang Convertible questions

I was just curious how much maintenance is involved with having a convertible and whether it's worth it for a daily driver?

I always thought it would be cool to have a convertible but then I got to thinking about what if there's a sudden down poor on the freeway for a couple minutes. This just happened to me last night. About 5 miles of heavy rain on the freeway, and then nothing. I imagine you couldn't just put the top up while driving that fast. Would you pull over and put your top up as quick as you could? Would this ruin your leather bucket seats?

If rain would really hurt your interior, do you make sure you only have your top down during the day when you are sure it's not going to rain?

Also, can your convertible go through a normal car wash ok or do you have to wash it yourself?

Lastly, what is the material of the top made out of and will it last for 10 years or so, or does it need replaced every so often?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005+ Mustang Convertible questions

1. Love having a convertible period.
2. Its not a daily driver, but I drive it as often as possible.
3. It takes about 20 seconds to put the top up, that's why there's a shoulder. Its impossible to put the top up or take it down if you're moving more than 10 mph I believe.
4. Rain won't do anything to leather. Just wipe off with a towel. Rain does more damage to cloth seats = mold.
5. When I don't wash it myself, I take it to a hand wash place.
6. I'll let you know in 10 years how I made out with the top.

All other things aside.... the convertible is not as rigid as a coupe, and there will be a few minor rattles that develop over time. Would I trade those little rattles for a coupe? hell no. I love driving with the top down and hearing my own exhaust!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

Ditto to Drop Top....

I'm not a daily driver either and only drive her on really good days....not because of the top but because of all the long hours on the weekends cleaning, waxing, and prepping.....I personally would not own a "toy" that was not a convertible....but I can also tell you that I personally think the coupe looks more of a "muscle car" look to it than the Conv does.....next, I love my 10" stripes, but not having a top does take away from the appeal of the stipes up the hood and over the car......Plus, the Corsas sound great with the top down!!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Our 2005 4.0L/auto vert is a DD for Mrs28HopUp, and it is a great DD. We run it year round in Delaware, and have a set of dedicated snow tires on GT take-off Bullitt wheels. Debbie kept the top down all day at school yesterday, since there's no call for rain for several days. After 18K miles, it has developed a few rattles, but nothing too bad. Much more solid than our 1998 Mustang 3.8L/auto vert. It's Mineral Gray, and looks clean even when it dusty (Tungsten also hides the dirt well). We have the vinyl roof, which is easy to keep clean (normal washing), and should last a good long time. There is now an optional cloth top, which looks sweet but I have no info as to its longevity. The car is too low for a ride through car wash, but touchless does an OK job. We have a 11yo son, and he likes to workon the cars and keep them clean.

Bottom line - we have NO REGRETS using our convertible as her daily driver...
Old 05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Audioi
2nd Gear Member

Vert is much more enjoyment than any coupe.
Go for it, you wont be sorry.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM
BlkSunshine77
2nd Gear Member

My Vert is a daily driver and I drop the top anytime it is above 60 degrees. Although I have had it down when it was 40 degrees.. hehehehe
Turns my short commute into a fun drive.
Well worth it.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

We have two S-197Vert Mustangs and live in Alaska!
When we bought the first one after about a month I made this comment; "If this is the way they are building convertibles today, I have no desire to ever own a non-convertible again." When a very good deal came up on the secondMustang we got it. The BlackMustang has 15K and the Yellow Mustang has 22K, in the winterwe have seen temps as low as-34 (F) and was just as comfortable as our Denali. We have taken them through the touchless style automatic car washes MANY times. Every once in a while there is a slight drip over the doorwindowright in the area where the weather striping meets up, but a quick movement (down/up)of the window when the sprayer is on the other side of the car has ALWAYS fixed this. (this happens on both cars but mostly it happens in cold temps)
IMHO, The vert can do anything the coupe can do, but NOT visa versa! I'll drop our tops EVERY chance I get!
Since the Yellow Mustang is S/C it not driven in winter any morebutwe still stud it up just in case. The Black Mustang is driven daily and we stud it up too (Pirelli winter carver 235/45/17) Only got stuck once all winter with my 17 daughter driving.

It takes righ at 16 seconds to open or close thetop. (including latching or unlatching)
Max speed is 3 mph to move the top either direction.
Insurance premium is more on a Vert and even more on a GT Vert!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:55 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Owning the GT Vert makes the hair on my neck stand up from excitement! And with the top down the guy in the next lane can see those same neck hairs standing! Unless you are hell bent on shortenning the 1/4 mile time, then the GT vert is the way to go. Not to mention the fact that its the best performance vert for the buck.I think I'll go for a ride right now!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 PM
gtrips01
I ♥ Acer

Agree with everything so far.

Regarding the 1/4 mile time comment below - Car and Driver did a review of the 2005 GT Vert and the vert actually did 1/10th of a second BETTER than the GT coupe in 0-60. They attributed this to the extra 150 lbs adding to the traction.

Also, I drove a Jeep Wrangler for a while and it took about 5 - 10 minutes to even put a bikini top up if it rained. This vert is a no brainer - if you see or start to feel rain, just pull over and it takes 15 - 20 seconds. I got caught in the Jeep with the top off at least twice and had a nice shower.

No worries since I acquired this vehicle.

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

Unless you are hell bent on shortenning the 1/4 mile time, then the GT vert is the way to go. Not to mention the fact that its the best performance vert for the buck.I think I'll go for a ride right now!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

I've had my vert for 2 months now and love it! Although it's rained pretty much every day since I bought it (AARRGGHH) the few days it has been sunny I've had the top down and really enjoy driving this car. There's a freedom in a vert with the top down that is hard to describe.

Quick Reply: 2005+ Mustang Convertible questions