Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took off my resonators

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 AM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

Default Took off my resonators

Anyone have this problem:
Today we took my stang to the local muffler shop who originally put on my Mac mufflers and then because of the vibration and drone they installed resonators. Two weeks after my resonators were put on I started to notice a ping, ping noise. We checked it out and could feel the heat and a slight burning odor coming from the resonators. My husband says it's the resonators cooling down; let me tell you that the ping noise was unbearable, I could hear it anytime I was at a stoplight or parked.

My husband won't drive my stang becasue he says the Macs are too loud (no big deal to me).While we were at the muffler shop he ordered Flowmasters and is going to replace my Macs. WILL I LIKE THE FLOWS?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:32 AM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Took off my resonators

i like the sound of the flows but havent head the macs so dont know how they compare. flows are kinda loud but sound clean to me.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 AM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

Hahaha your husband won't drive your car because its too loud and wants to replace the mufflers as a result? That's funny - is this one of those cars he bought 'for you' and then started modding it with stuff he wanted?

I have never heard of resonators making a noise like that, I would ask the muffler shop to check their work. My buddy's exhaust was making a noise kind of like what you're describing and he had a leak from a crappy weld. Got it welded up right and the noise went away.

I still think its hilarious that your car is too loud for your husband. Have you threatened to make fun of him in front of his friends with this information? If he's paying for it go ahead and see if you like the flowmasters. I personally don't like the flows, but I'm driving around pissing off people with my Loudmouths and x-pipe...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 AM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

I've heard guys that have the SLP's and I have to say I am completely satisfied with my Flowmasters. They sound great when you want them to, and don't fry your head with drone when you don't
Old 05-06-2007, 05:23 AM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

well if you dont have an offroad h or x its not gonna be loud at all,,,i have an offroad h and their still not that loud to me..
Old 05-06-2007, 06:22 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

slightly louder than stock right?!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:37 AM
chays446
2nd Gear Member

yep, i put my stock mufflers back on to see what they would sound like with the offroad h,and the actually sounded pretty good,,but i put the flow's back on for the tips
Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

Believe me I will be making fun of him about my car being too loud...I thought the same thing, maybe a broken weld but we looked at it and the weld was good. He sure is paying for the Flows and if I don't like them I'll take it myself and get the Macs put back on. Bottom line is my car is mean sounding and I think it gets a little too much attention, know what I mean; people look, but what can I say its a stang!

How loud are the Flows inside the car? I like some noise.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 PM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

Which Flows do you have?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:31 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

Someone in my town has has the flowmasters, and he came around my dead end block to show off his car when I was fully stock, He saw my car in the driveway and started revving and then pulled out of the block at WOT, I got my MACs installed as well as the O/R H-pipe and I did it to him in his block... WE had a revvin contest and all I can say is that I made his car look like some tiny 4 cyl ricer.... The MACs alone without the O/R H-pipe are louder than the flows.... There a lil bit stronger than stocks (Flowmasters)

Hope that helps...

-John

Quick Reply: Took off my resonators